Mt. Vernon to add "stripping" to help with roundabout confusion

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The residents are already confused over these roundabouts. Now they are talking about adding additional signage and strippers. I'm sorry, but I don't think strippers will do anything but further distract drivers.

Mount Vernon to Add Signage & Stripping to Roundabouts | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

MOUNT VERNON, Iowa - The city of Mount Vernon is looking to make some changes to the roundabouts on U.S. Highway 30. Last week officials, including the Iowa DOT, decided to improve signage and stripping at the roundabout locations. City leaders hope the improvement will help drivers better understand the roundabouts. Officials say drivers' comfort levels will improve in time. Work on the roundabouts will start Friday.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Those roundabouts confuse the hell out of me. Hate them, dont know why they couldnt put in stop lights, or just leave it the way it ways.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
There is a direct relationship between the attractiveness of the strippers and the number of times I go around the roundabout.

Reactions: dinger

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Ehrmagerd, roundabout, whatever will I do!?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
There is a direct relationship between the attractiveness of the strippers and the number of times I go around the roundabout.

Hey, you get good at this, you could match the trips around the roundabout to exactly match the revolutions around the pole!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
drove through there today around 4:30. No strippers, just confused drivers. One thing I do not get is the second roundabout in Mt. Vernon. I get the highway 30 to 1 roundabout, besides it being an inherently stupid idea, but why is there one two blocks to the west for what appears to be a side street?

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
If everyone at the roundabout knows what to do (go right, yield to the left) - they ******* rock. no stopping and waiting.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Those roundabouts confuse the hell out of me. Hate them, dont know why they couldnt put in stop lights, or just leave it the way it ways.

I know that, its just no one is used to them. It has caused more problems than anything else.

Would MUCH rather have a roundabout then a stop light...they are extremely more efficient. There is definitely a public education element to roundabouts, but once you get used to them, they are a great traffic control tool.

Could you elaborate on these problems? I have yet to drive through and see an accident or a driver who is having a problem with them, and I at least drive through 10 or so a week between Ankeny and Johnston. If it takes you anymore then a few times driving through a roundabout to get used to them, you should be considered an idiot and your license revoked, but that is just my opinion.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Wait at a stoplight for 2 minutes, or slow way down and make an attentive look at potential oncoming traffic and continue on my marry way with only a 5-20 second slowdown.

Yeah, i'll take a roundabout any day over a congested intersection where I have to sit and waste time.

I guess I forgot.. stoplights allow people to catch up on all those text messages and new CF posts they've missed.. my bad.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Would MUCH rather have a roundabout then a stop light...they are extremely more efficient. There is definitely a public education element to roundabouts, but once you get used to them, they are a great traffic control tool.

Could you elaborate on these problems? I have yet to drive through and see an accident or a driver who is having a problem with them, and I at least drive through 10 or so a week between Ankeny and Johnston. If it takes you anymore then a few times driving through a roundabout to get used to them, you should be considered an idiot and your license revoked, but that is just my opinion.

This. The first time I encountered a roundabout was when I was driving through Colorado (which has them all over the place) and it took all of 5 seconds to figure out how they worked.

I don't understand the argument that "they're confusing" is any more acceptable than saying a yield sign is "confusing."

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think about how much I like roundabouts when I'm sitting at a red light waiting to turn left for 3 minutes and not one other car has gone through the intersection.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wait at a stoplight for 2 minutes, or slow way down and make an attentive look at potential oncoming traffic and continue on my marry way with only a 5-20 second slowdown.

Yeah, i'll take a roundabout any day over a congested intersection where I have to sit and waste time.

I guess I forgot.. stoplights allow people to catch up on all those text messages and new CF posts they've missed.. my bad.

Don't forget about updating Facebook to complain about traffic.

R-abouts are safer, more efficient, and very easy. For some, reading signs and slowing down is difficult though.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The difficulties with roundabouts come in when idiot drivers make full and complete stops before entering them even if there is not a constant flow of traffic in their way. There is usually someone entering from the opposite "side" of the roundabout, and these clowns will wait to see which direction that vehicle is going to commit to. Just keep moving and merge in!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron