Fox Sports 1

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Figured with the recent Mediacom vs. Directv that we should start a discussion about Fox Sports 1.

The channel launches in 39 days and will be replacing the Speed channel.

The reason I bring this up is that Fox Sports 1 will be broadcasting both the ISU-Iowa and ISU-Tulsa games, and it's possible a few more games make it to the channel. Anyone that is looking at getting new cable/satellite service or upgrading their service may want to make sure Fox Sports 1 is included in the package, to avoid furious channel surfing on game days.

Here is a link to Fox Sports 1 main page. It has a FAQ section that talks about what kinds of programming the channel will offer.
FOX Sports 1

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Interesting..the website said that FS1 is also doing Big 12 basketball games

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
From what I've gathered, isn't FS1 just replacing Speed? Speed is available in most packages. I'm guessing Fox will want this in as many homes as possible so they'll try to keep providers from moving it into the sports packs and leave it in the main packages, like ESPN. I have Speed right now without having a sports pack, Dish better not move it

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I currently get speed with my regular Mediacom package; better get FS1 without upgrading.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

My understanding that it will be Women's games only.

As far as football, expect ISU to make a lot of FS1 appearances this year. If understand correctly, not all, but most of the FSN B12 games are moving to FS1.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Will I be able to get FOX Sports 1 on my TV?[h=4]For many operators, FOX Sports 1 will launch in the same channel location now occupied by SPEED. We hope that all major cable, satellite and telephone video services will offer FOX Sports 1 at the time of its August launch, giving it wide distribution in over 90 million homes. Specific channel information will be posted at FOXSports.com closer to the launch date.[/h]

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
My understanding that it will be Women's games only.

As far as football, expect ISU to make a lot of FS1 appearances this year. If understand correctly, not all, but most of the FSN B12 games are moving to FS1.
I figured this was the case too which I am fine with because I don't think Cedar Rapids has FSN. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
It Would Be Nice If Directv Moves It Closer To Espn Liked They Did With Nbc Sports. I Don't Go Up In The 600S unless Its A Football Saturday.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I figured this was the case too which I am fine with because I don't think Cedar Rapids has FSN. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you're correct. On Mediacom, FSN is not available under any package in Cedar Rapids. The only way to get the FSN games on Mediacom in CR is to get the sports pack and watch them in SD if they are simulcast on Fox College Sports.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

Matt's College Sports Media Blog

* The college basketball breakdown for FOX Sports 1 seems to look like this for the regular season:

• Big East: 100+ men's basketball games & an unknown number of women's basketball games
  • Conference USA: ~10 men's games & ~5 women's games
  • Pac-12: 22 men's games
  • Big 12: Presumably some of their 31 women's basketball games will end up here
In the initial release announcing FOX Sports 1, Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday were the four days where college basketball would be scheduled. Based on scheduling rotations

• Monday: Big East men
  • Thursday: C-USA and/or Pac-12 (C-USA has switched to a Thursday/Saturday scheduling rotation)
  • Saturday: All properties
  • Sunday: All properties except C-USA men

Beginning next year, most of the Fox Saturday MLB game of the week telecasts will move to FS1 as well.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
It's not a given that Fox Sports 1 will be on your TV on Aug. 17.

DirecTV has taken a hardline approach with new sports networks (not having Pac 12 Network, Comcast Sports Houston, etc.), if you have DirecTV, this could get ugly. I wouldn't even know if Mediacom is having talks regarding the new channel and your average CSR probably wouldn't have a clue.

Like the reporter who wrote the article, I too thought it would be in 90 million homes on when the switch happens.

FS1 carriage talks sticky a month out - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

A month before launching its much publicized all-sports network, Fox has yet to cut carriage deals with three of the country’s four biggest distributors, raising the possibility that its August launch of Fox Sports 1 will fall short of the 90 million homes the channel is expected to have.

DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable — representing more than 46 million subscribers — still are negotiating to carry FS1 on Aug. 17, which is when Fox will turn its motorsports channel, Speed, into a multisport network.

The fact that so many deals are open a month before a network launch is not unusual in the cable industry. Typically, carriage deals like FS1’s get finalized in the days leading up to or just after a channel’s launch.

Though talks have been described as amicable for the most part, news that some big deals aren’t done runs counter to the widespread belief in the sports industry that FS1 will flip a switch next month and launch to 90 million homes. While neither Fox nor distributors would comment about the state of talks, ticklish carriage negotiations and a new FS1 rate fee are slowing the process.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It's not a given that Fox Sports 1 will be on your TV on Aug. 17.

DirecTV has taken a hardline approach with new sports networks (not having Pac 12 Network, Comcast Sports Houston, etc.), if you have DirecTV, this could get ugly. I wouldn't even know if Mediacom is having talks regarding the new channel and your average CSR probably wouldn't have a clue.

Like the reporter who wrote the article, I too thought it would be in 90 million homes on when the switch happens.

FS1 carriage talks sticky a month out - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

Really hope DirecTV gets this taken care of before September 26. Although worst-case I just go somewhere else to watch ISU-Tulsa.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Which Carriers are on board then...I'm assuming just Comcast (if they are talking the "Big 4"). Surprising since Comcast and Fox have not been friendly to each other when it comes to sports. Maybe Fox1 had to lock up the most questionable one before they went to the others.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron