News flash!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
ISU is a bad football team. We will have an announcement on Monday? I know for sure we will at the end of the season at the latest.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
What's the percentage of teams that have scored on their last possession of the first half against ISU? 90%?

I'd give up on the game but if anyone can give up this lead it's KU. Of course, if anyone could get blown out by crappy teams it's ISU.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
I hope Pollard waits until after the season to let Mac go. I do feel Mac has earned the right to be treated with some dignity.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Agree 100%. If Mac truly cared for ISU he would step down at his post game interview.

Own up to your responsibility. Step up to the mic and say "I've enjoyed coaching at ISU blah, blah, blah, but the time has come for me to move on etc, etc." I think that would be a great thing for Mac to do.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Ugh, the dignified thing to do would be to resign.

Exactly. If I were a friend of DM, I would strongly urge him to resign his position at ISU, and try to hire on as an assistant in a winning program. What DM is doing just isn't working, from gametime strategies, to game preparation strategies, to motivational skills...the whole gambit. DM's approach might have worked 10 years ago, but it's not really been working for the past few years. He needs to learn what is working in 2006, and perhaps come back to head coaching in a few years.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Mac would have been out of here so fast IF HE WOULD HAVE EVER GOTTEN ANOTHER OFFER.
I still contend that 2003 happened because he thought that 2000 would get him a better job, because the 9-3 season should have had a positive impact on recruiting. It didn't happen that way, why??? he wasn't thinking that he'd be here.

But the fact is for all that the supporters want to claim that he has built something, why have you NEVER heard his name mentioned prominently for another job???

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
He got a call concerning the TCU job and that was it. One call and they Hired Gary Patterson at TCU, that was 2000. he then stated " I have a job at ISU and wasn't interested", Right.

I really beleive he might, just might get a position asst job somewhere, maybe?

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
OK TCU is not in a BCS conference, so how is that a better job???

Plus he was trying to get his contract renewed from Gene Smith at the time. So he used TCU as leverage. Should have known then.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
But the fact is for all that the supporters want to claim that he has built something, why have you NEVER heard his name mentioned prominently for another job???

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...I wonder how many words a roll of game film is worth??? You ask why DM has never been mentioned prominently for another job...my answer is...game film of ISU football.

Pull up any ISU game film and you will see inadequate fundamentals and questionable coaching decisions in film after film. In coaching, despite what your paper resume says, there is always the film and tape record of your work, and that record speaks volumes about your coaching ability.

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
OK Darts, TCU is not a BCS school. Granted. However Fort Worth is no Ames and recuriting in Texas isn't all bad. And the checks do Cash at TCU.

BCS or not, he didn't get a smell at TCU. By the way they have a winning record.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Agree 100%. If Mac truly cared for ISU he would step down at his post game interview.

I know everyone is frustrated, but I sincerely hope Mac wouldn't step down in the middle of the season. He owes it to his players not to quit. Pollard may take matters in his own hands, if not now then at the end of the season, but if Mac quit on his players when they still have 3 games to play I'd lose a lot of respect for him.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
And don't forget, he placed himself in the conversation. The athletic department at TCU said that he wasn't a candidate. But it was too late, 9-3 euphoria landed Mac the extension.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
From the AP story:
Iowa State (3-7, 0-6) won't be going anywhere. The loss is sure to turn up the heat on embattled coach Dan McCarney, whose team appears headed for its second 0-8 conference finish in four years unless there's a miraculous turnaround in the last two games.
The Cyclones managed only 213 yards against the Big 12's worst defense, muffed a punt that led to Kansas' first touchdown and gave up an easy touchdown when punter Mike Brandtner fumbled the snap at his own 1-yard line.
And even when the Cyclones caught a break, they couldn't stand prosperity. When Alvin Bowen recovered Meier's fumble at the Kansas 26 on the game's third play, Iowa State had only 8 yards in three tries and had to settle for Bret Culbertson 's 36-yard field goal.
Later, Shawn Moorehead intercepted Reesing at the KU 12, but Josh Johnson fumbled it back to the Jayhawks on the next play. Kansas then marched 90 yards in 12 plays to get its final touchdown, a 1-yard run by Brandon McAnderson .

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Caught Mac on the post-game radio show. Stop me if you've heard this before:

(paraphrasing, and I'll spare everyone the "tremendous"s and "really"s)

"...There's a lot of pride in the program. The fans deserve a better effort than what we gave today. The coaches and the players are going to do their best to come out next week and get a Cyclone victory..."

How does he continue to say that with a straight face?

Absolutely pathetic, and completely unacceptable.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Caught Mac on the post-game radio show. Stop me if you've heard this before:

"...There's a lot of pride in the program. The fans deserve a better effort than what we gave today. The coaches and the players are going to do their best to come out next week and get a Cyclone victory..."

I've been walking around with a sick feeling to my stomach, but that quote just about sent me to the toilet.

Bye, Dan. Thanks for all that you've done.