Mid-sized truck recommendations

Boorstin

May 13, 2010
Wyoming
Looking for a mid-size truck.

I test drove the 2012 Tacoma and Honda Ridgeline today. Tacoma = way too small [I'm 6'7"], and really liked the Ridgeline.

Need a truck for lumber yard trips, hunting in the fall, hauling kids sports stuff, and golf. I'm not a construction guy or off-road guy.

Appreciate thoughts/feedback from any w/ knowledge.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Check the Frontier as well. Tacoma and Frontier are the top rated midsized.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I have a Ranger and to be honest it's a waste. I get horrible gas mileage and can't really pull anything. If I were to do it all over I would go with a full size. Same gas mileage with a compact as a full size. Price is cheaper for a small truck but everything else is a wash or better with a half ton. This is my experience with a compact truck take it or leave it.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Depends on what you're using it for as far as mid vs full. I haven't researched the ranger, but the Tacoma and Frontier are good buys depending on your needs.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Looking for a mid-size truck.

I test drove the 2012 Tacoma and Honda Ridgeline today. Tacoma = way too small [I'm 6'7"], and really liked the Ridgeline.

Need a truck for lumber yard trips, hunting in the fall, hauling kids sports stuff, and golf. I'm not a construction guy or off-road guy.

Appreciate thoughts/feedback from any w/ knowledge.

I agree with some of the other people in this thread. I have looked at midsize trucks and in the end you make a ton of sacrifices for one and they aren't all that much cheaper.

I don't favor certain companies but the new Ford ecoboost engine (V6 putting out V8 horsepower and better fuel mileage) is nice from what I have heard and seen. I am trying to get a couple of more years out of my 97 f150, but if I were in the market that would be where I started.

Jump to the half ton from any of the major companies and you won't regret it.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
half ton Ford with the ecoboost

I currently drive an '04 Tacoma 4x4 (the last year the Tacoma was a compact pickup and not a midsize), and when I decide to switch to a newer model, I'm about 90% sure this is the route I'll go. Pretty amazing that a half-ton truck with damn near 400 hp gets better mpg than my truck with half the hp.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
When i bought my truck, I was positive I was going to get a midsize. Walked out with a Silverado. Enough room for me at 6-2, plus it didn't cost that much more than the midsize. It is a beast in a parking lot, though.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I really wanted a Tacoma or Frontier when I bought last fall but I was scared off by the MPGs. If you are not in a hurry I heard the new Chevy Colorado for 2013 is supposed to be something special and might give Toyota and Nissan a run for their money.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
FWIW, I've heard the Ford ecoboost doesn't get nearly as good of mileage as advertised. If it were me, I'd think hard about a half ton with a small V-8.

I have the F150 with Eccoboost. Coming onto a year and 21k miles. As always, where and how you drive greatly determines mileage; especially with turbo-charged engines. City driving averaged 10-20 mpg. Highway driving 21-22. Mileage did improve with time.

I had Chevy and Toyota trucks before the F150. I drove them all before buying and the F150 had the best ride in my opinion.

I've had no maintenance issues after the first year. It is not the cheapest option though.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
FWIW, I've heard the Ford ecoboost doesn't get nearly as good of mileage as advertised. If it were me, I'd think hard about a half ton with a small V-8.

I have 2,000 miles on a 2012 F-150 Super Crew Cab with Ecoboost AND IT DOES ACHIEVE 2MPG BETTER GAS MILEAGE THAN THE 5.4L TRITON V-8.

I am comparing the 2012 to the 2010 F-150 Super Crew Cab that I owned and drove.

At 70MPH, flat road Interstate, little wind: 21.2MPG Ecoboost and 19.1MPG 5.4L Triton V-8.

Just like with an SUV, the F-150 mileage drops with cold temps, wind and in hilly terrains. This pickup gets better mileage than a 2008 Ford Explorer.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Agree with everybody saying to just go full-size. The only other thig I'd add is I went with a standard cab and I'm glad I did. No sense in me paying for extended/crew when it's only me + one other 90% of the time. Probably will hurt at trade-in time though.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I bought my 2011 F150 with the ecoboost in November. I only have about 7500 miles on it but really like it so far. I use it to drive around the farm and I drive 4 miles to work in town so I don't have a lot of long trips. It averages 18 mpg just doing that. It's a really smooth ride and the interior is nice. I wouldn't want anything else right now.