Coach Easley leaving

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
So I am sure all of you think Wally's son should not have been hired to coach d-line?

Compare Shane's coaching background to Billy's, they are night and day.

Shane has over 10 years of coaching experience, Billy has never been a day to day coach. Billy was a graduate assistant, administative assistant at UMD, Director of BBall Ops at NW, and Director of Player Development. Billy has never recruited. Billy is not ready to be an assistant, we need someone who has coached and recruited at a high level, and Billy is not there.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
We have the mind in Fennelly. What we need is a top-flight recruiter.

Easley was our man to man defense guru though. But maybe we "know" that now.

However, Blair needs a good X/Os coach much more than coach Fen. Schaefer was really the mastermind on the defensive side at A&M especially. Starkey is a great great get. Wouldn't mind that at ISU.

Now days any coach needs to be a top flight recruiter. I think Easley was more active in recruiting than we maybe know as he wasn't as "social media" about it as Steyer.

Seems Billy is doing some now too.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We are nearing the 30 day mark since Easley's departure was announced. Has anyone heard anything regarding his replacement? The lack of info and the 30 day hiring protocol somewhat suggests Billy F is going to replace Easley which I think would not be in the best interests of the program at this time.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
We are nearing the 30 day mark since Easley's departure was announced. Has anyone heard anything regarding his replacement? The lack of info and the 30 day hiring protocol somewhat suggests Billy F is going to replace Easley which I think would not be in the best interests of the program at this time.
CFH hired Matt Abdelmassih....Look at his track record before becoming a D1 assistant....:wink:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

The posting for the opening expired on April 5th, therefore the earliest anything would have been settled would be April 6th.

There is still a ton of movement going on with women's bball coaching openings. There are around 30 head coach openings that haven't been filled from the last number I saw. There have been 57 head coach openings this year in D1, so let the dust settle and then make a move.

What info needs to be shared? It's an assistant coaching opening, not a head coach. I don't know why people think they need to be privy to every bit of hiring information, and I don't think Billy is getting promoted. If that was the case, we would have heard about it by now. Billy is not a post coach or a defense coach, that's what Easley concentrated on.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
the only rush could be that we have a few posts we are recruiting, and the post coach could matter to them, unless perhaps Schaben steps up more in that regard. Maybe they don't want to hire/announce until Easley is gone.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
We need more athletic players from the city who can be physical with the B12 South players. Add that with Coach F and we'll be Big 12 champs again. It'd be nice to have some athleticism to run the court a bit too.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
the only rush could be that we have a few posts we are recruiting, and the post coach could matter to them, unless perhaps Schaben steps up more in that regard. Maybe they don't want to hire/announce until Easley is gone.

My guess is he is already gone. In coaching when you leave, you are gone. I would suspect he has been paid out for the remainder of his contract and has moved on.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The posting for the opening expired on April 5th, therefore the earliest anything would have been settled would be April 6th.

There is still a ton of movement going on with women's bball coaching openings. There are around 30 head coach openings that haven't been filled from the last number I saw. There have been 57 head coach openings this year in D1, so let the dust settle and then make a move.

What info needs to be shared? It's an assistant coaching opening, not a head coach. I don't know why people think they need to be privy to every bit of hiring information, and I don't think Billy is getting promoted. If that was the case, we would have heard about it by now. Billy is not a post coach or a defense coach, that's what Easley concentrated on.

Given the recent talent erosion in the program, most WBB fans are very interested in Jack's replacement. Hiring a replacement without a track record of recruiting success would likely continue the erosion.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Given the recent talent erosion in the program, most WBB fans are very interested in Jack's replacement. Hiring a replacement without a track record of recruiting success would likely continue the erosion.

Don't think I said people weren't interested, but there are people who think they need to know every move being made rather than letting the process take place.

The coaching carousel is very fluid this year in WBB. There is a ton of movement not only on the head coaching ranks, but at the assistant level too. There have been 60 openings for head coaches this year at the DI level, that means 60 staffs have been impacted/displaced. There are a lot of talented assistant coaches who are now out of jobs, so would you rather BF rush to make a decision, or take some time and pick the right person?

As I stated, the opening expired on the 5th, it's been 11 working days, I don't think people need to panic quite yet.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

Talent erosion? That phrase is a bit extreme. The team probably has its deepest post talent ever. It has not had anyone reach Welle's status, but she was exceptional. The team may have one of its best and deepest guard courts on deck.

It might be fair to say there has been a talent gap in specific positions or skills. But if the rosters over the past decade-plus are put side by side, it will probably be evident that the team has excelled given the level of talent compared to elite programs, and the level of talent on the team has been relatively consistent except for a player here and there. Now,that's not to say that individual players cannot make or break success. They do. If anything, that is what ISU is missing to get to the next level. But that would be a talent infusion.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Talent erosion? That phrase is a bit extreme. The team probably has its deepest post talent ever. It has not had anyone reach Welle's status, but she was exceptional. The team may have one of its best and deepest guard courts on deck.

It might be fair to say there has been a talent gap in specific positions or skills. But if the rosters over the past decade-plus are put side by side, it will probably be evident that the team has excelled given the level of talent compared to elite programs, and the level of talent on the team has been relatively consistent except for a player here and there. Now,that's not to say that individual players cannot make or break success. They do. If anything, that is what ISU is missing to get to the next level. But that would be a talent infusion.

Part of our problem is not that we don't have talent but that other teams, especially in our league, have gotten better over the past decade. They have put more money into the women's game than they had in the nineties, and as a result, the competition is better than it was, say, in the 1998-2002 period. I believe we are at the point when we cannot afford to give scholarships out to people who will not help us by their sophomore year. One can argue that we never have done this (given scholarships out more generously, to put it kindly, than we should have), but imho we have done so.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
We have talked about this before, but:

I think our posts are on the level for Big 12.
I think our incoming next two classes(given who is signed and pending offers) are on that level as well along with Moody/Williamson/Ellis.

The balance has just been "off" on the inside/outside game a little the last two years. And we are only two years removed from Sweet Sixteen/3 from the Elite Eight, and we have been to the tourney the last six years in a row.

What hurt us was the Whit Williams/Arlen class and the scholly to ****.

Last year I think our injuries down the stretch hurt us more than people realize. Both our senior guards were nursing injuries, and Pop was one-legged, and Prins was dealing with stuff from the start of the season. Was the talent to the level of the Big 12? Well, they finished fourth in the Big 12, and really had a couple fluke games they should have won/were in at the very end, that would have put them in third.

Personally, I think a lot of fans don't realize what an amazing coaching job BF and crew have done transitioning to playing a tougher more physical game and managing the injuries this year.

What this team had to overcome this year to accomplish what they did was huge and I highly respect it.

I don't think the ISU of old that everyone "misses" of draining threes and the match up zone would be as effective now. Yes, it might work for an upset for Marist or the like come tourney time,
but night in and night out in the Big 12, no.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Agree with Bird. Our talent level is very good. The Big 12 of old wasn't as deep as it is right now. It wasn't a power conference. It was a one sided conference. Would Welle's finesse work as well today? I don't know. She was quicker than most posts and rarely missed bunnies, but how would she deal with the physicality of the game?

The only thing I wished we had from old was the ability for 3-4 players to consistently hit the 3 ball. We just don't have the outside scoring threat from more thn one person and right now from anyone that is consistent. With our inside game, a deadly outside game would make us hard to beat. Just look at Baylor. Once Sims settled in as an offensive force no game plan could deal with them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron