Coach Easley leaving

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If you think that it will be anyone other than Billy Fennelly or Josh Carper you are kidding yourself.

That'd be disappointing, imho. We've had the same three assistants for a long time, and in many ways that stability has been helpful in keeping us in the tournament for six straight years. But this is a rare opportunity to get some fresh blood in the program. I don't think a hire from within is a good idea.

What about someone like Randi Peterson? She may be a Hawkeye, but she'd be a solid hire. Or maybe someone from Texas, given how much recruiting we've been doing down there recently.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with mred, time to bring in some fresh blood/insight.

Reactions: cyfan50438

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Bring in someone who is a great recruiter--we haven't had that among the assistants in a while.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I have a feeling BF thinks that it's time to shake up the staff. If he retires, the press release will mention that he decides to retire

swiacyfan

Mar 2, 2009
Gail Goestenkors would be a huge asset to the staff when it comes to recruiting for texas players but also agree wont be able to afford her. shd probably wouldnt come anyway given the opportunity.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Easley was largely responsible for our new defence which has been great. Sorry to see him go.

Hope new blood. Worried that it will be Billy. Would like it to be another woman who could recruit. Lyndsey would be great but Steyer is a good guards coach.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
That'd be disappointing, imho. We've had the same three assistants for a long time, and in many ways that stability has been helpful in keeping us in the tournament for six straight years. But this is a rare opportunity to get some fresh blood in the program. I don't think a hire from within is a good idea.

What about someone like Randi Peterson? She may be a Hawkeye, but she'd be a solid hire. Or maybe someone from Texas, given how much recruiting we've been doing down there recently.

Agree with the first part huge loss. 2nd part HELL NO do hire a former SQUAWK!

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009

I agree that fresh blood is needed, and nepotism, if that is a fair term here, is to be avoided. However, I don't think the best choice would be Coach G. from Texas; she did not do as well with Texas recruits while she was at Austin compared to how she did with them while at Duke, if the media story about her resignation is to be believed. She did not have Texas roots/connections, as previous stories on her career at Austin have noted, and that hurt her.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron