Has anyone else called 911?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Oh, regarding the OP: Yes, I've called 911 before. I was six years old, and someone stole my Batman action figure. That's actually a true story.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
I have never called 911. I just wanted to say your a good guy for calling the cops/ambulance. Like someone else said, you were probably the 20th car to pass and probably the first or second to call. And to RollsRoyce, your a jack ***.

RollsRoyce

Jul 6, 2011
Cedar Falls
I have never called 911. I just wanted to say your a good guy for calling the cops/ambulance. Like someone else said, you were probably the 20th car to pass and probably the first or second to call. And to RollsRoyce, your a jack ***.

Cry me a river and go back to being a tiger fan you troll.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I think some people in this thread throw "troll" around without knowing what it means. And by some people, I mean RollsRoyce. Kind of ironic since he's the one making outrageous statements to try to get a rise out of people...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I think some people in this thread throw "troll" around without knowing what it means. And by some people, I mean RollsRoyce. Kind of ironic since he's the one making outrageous statements to try to get a rise out of people...

That's actually like the second or third time I've been called a troll this week, all by posters who are recognized as trolls themselves lol.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
That's actually like the second or third time I've been called a troll this week, all by posters who are recognized as trolls themselves lol.

If people think you're a Hawk troll, they need to get their heads checked. You're one of the "good Hawks" around here. And now I have to go take a cold shower after typing that...

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
If people think you're a Hawk troll, they need to get their heads checked. You're one of the "good Hawks" around here. And now I have to go take a cold shower after typing that...

Ummm...cold shower?...so....making nice with tm gets you all hot and bothered?

smiley.php

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ive only had to call 911 once. Was on my way up to ames, going down 235, had just shifted from the far left to the middle lane, all of a sudden i'm blown by by a car going the wrong way in the far eft lane. I was very lucky to have changed lanes, but still, wow that was scary. By the time i got through the operator knew what i was calling about almost right away.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I called twice. Once when I saw an accident happen right behind me, and another when some guy was riding his bike down 235 during morning rush hour. At least he was on the shoulder. Both calls were answered right away.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
My wife and I were driving home from a movie tonight and noticed a bunch of glass on I35 in Olathe, KS. It was all over the road. There was one car just off the shoulder that was kind of mangled, but not too bad. Then we saw a second car that was a good 20 yards into a field off the highway. The roof was pretty much ripped off and the front end was smashed in to the near the windshield. It had to have just happened because no cops were around and no other cars had stopped. Anyway, my wife called 911 and was on hold for like three minutes. Someone finally took her call and said the police and ambulance were on their way. I have no idea how 911 works; this was the first time either of us have called. There's a hell of a lot that can go wrong in 2-3 minutes while you're waiting for 911 to pick up your call. Not at all what I expected.​
There are only a set amount of dispatchers to answer calls. When an accident or some other emergency happens where lots of people see it the lines get flooded and you will have to wait for someone to become available.

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
Olathe isn't exactly the same as KC, MO.

I've called 911 a couple times in Johnson County Kansas. Once in Lenexa for a car wreck outside my house and once in Overland Park when I accidentally called from work due to fat finger dialing. In both cases my call was answered almost immediately.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
My wife and I were driving home from a movie tonight and noticed a bunch of glass on I35 in Olathe, KS. It was all over the road. There was one car just off the shoulder that was kind of mangled, but not too bad. Then we saw a second car that was a good 20 yards into a field off the highway. The roof was pretty much ripped off and the front end was smashed in to the near the windshield.

It had to have just happened because no cops were around and no other cars had stopped. Anyway, my wife called 911 and was on hold for like three minutes. Someone finally took her call and said the police and ambulance were on their way. I have no idea how 911 works; this was the first time either of us have called. There's a hell of a lot that can go wrong in 2-3 minutes while you're waiting for 911 to pick up your call. Not at all what I expected.​

While you were on hold for 2-3 minutes waiting for someone to come help you, did you ever think of going to check on the people in the cars of the accident you thought just happened?

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
My wife and I were driving home from a movie tonight and noticed a bunch of glass on I35 in Olathe, KS. It was all over the road. There was one car just off the shoulder that was kind of mangled, but not too bad. Then we saw a second car that was a good 20 yards into a field off the highway. The roof was pretty much ripped off and the front end was smashed in to the near the windshield.

It had to have just happened because no cops were around and no other cars had stopped. Anyway, my wife called 911 and was on hold for like three minutes. Someone finally took her call and said the police and ambulance were on their way. I have no idea how 911 works; this was the first time either of us have called. There's a hell of a lot that can go wrong in 2-3 minutes while you're waiting for 911 to pick up your call. Not at all what I expected.​

I travel a lot and have called 911 multiple times and have been EMS trained.
1st of all- thank you for calling. The worst is that 5-6 people come to an accident and everyone assumes someone has called. Call without hesitancy.
2nd- dispatchers can go a full day without a call and then be overwhelmed in an hour. They try to stay on until an officer arrives so that can reduce the available operators as well. You really never know.
3rd- yes 2-3 minutes can be detrimental. I wish more people would take a first responder course in case they come across things like this and there is a need. EMS isn't perfect, but they do a pretty darn good job overall.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Ive only had to call 911 once. Was on my way up to ames, going down 235, had just shifted from the far left to the middle lane, all of a sudden i'm blown by by a car going the wrong way in the far eft lane. I was very lucky to have changed lanes, but still, wow that was scary. By the time i got through the operator knew what i was calling about almost right away.
Had this happen to me going south on I35 to KC for a Yankees-Royals weekend. Very weird to be driving on the interstate and have a car coming right at you.