Twister Sister Summary - Defense shines in victory

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My best friend was busy tonight and was putting this game on the DVR to watch later in the evening. I was seriously thinking about texting him and recommending he have a few beers handy just to be able to tolerate watching the first half of what some would say set the game of basketball back about 30 years. In the stands we were joking that we might see an old six on six type of score at the end of this one. Yes...the first half was that bad...and the second was that good.

I don't think I've ever seen two teams shoot so poorly as I did in the first stanza of this game. It was all about turnovers (KState was credited with seven steals at halftime)crazy missed shots (all Pop had after a foul riddled half were two missed layups...including a beautiful fast break one)and amazingly a 21-17 halftime lead. By the way...the 21 points set a new Cyclone record for fewest points scored in a half in Coach Fennelly's tenure. A little bit of bad triva...this season's team has set records for the bottom three scoring games in Coach's stint here...23, 22, and 21 points. Wow. Another record will be talked about later.

Imagine the frustration as it took these two teams, who are battling for 4th place in the toughest conference in the country, more than TEN minutes of play to get past 10 points each. It was only fitting that as bizarre as this game was it was our freshman point guard who kept us in it by hitting several crucial shots. I wish I could give all the credit for this win to our defense. Yes, it was very good...at times incredibly good. But KState also shot very very bad.

Let's talk about the defense. It was led by Chas. Man, she hounded Chambers again tonight. That girl has to have nightmares about seeing a 23 jersey everywhere she goes. When Dickey had the hot hand Chas moved over to her and shut her down. If Chas was the ringleader, the rest of the team followed the ****** to perfection. They were hustling on defense, switching off, double teaming, swatting balls away and just plain getting into the kittens' heads. This was lock down style stoppage tonight. This is what keeps a team in a game when your offense is only scoring 21 points.

At the half I told my wife that ISU was going to come out in the second and score 45 while holding KState to 20. I wasn't far off. Instead it was 36-16 after the break. It wasn't always pretty, but that pesky defense just kept getting stop after stop. On offense, the turnovers stopped for much of the half. After giving up 11 in the first stanza there were none until 5 minutes left in the game. The shooting percentage went from 29% in the first half to 45 in the second behind some great assists and timely shooting by a number of players. What it meant was that the ladies in red pulled away and buried KState 57-33. Oh yeah...that other record? 33 is the fewestpoints allowed in Big 12 history. Pretty deserving I would say.

Player of the game - Moody. No doubt. While she still had some off moments on defense and still has some crazy passes, it was her shooting from deep that made the difference. When she got into gear, oh my, she was scary at times. Just please...please...stop with the overhead cross court passes.

Runner up for POG? Moody and Big C really were fun to watch in the this one. Moody had an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers and didn't shoot all that well, but she had some beautiful drives in the land of tall people and hit some key shots. Big C was a monster on the boards while pulling down 8 and scoring in double figures.

Honorable mention? Prins. She played some of her best defense tonight. Offensively...well...I've never seen her shoot an airball from three before and she did it twice tonight...but remember this game was about defense.

What about Pop? Completely neutralized. Did grab 7 boards in 17 minutes, but she was clearly frustrated as she missed bunnies and had as many fouls as she did points. Ticky tack officiating didn't help her cause, but she did contribute mightily to it.

Missing player sightings!! For the first time since the last century the court was graced with Fallon Ellis' presence. Perhaps she is climbing out of Coach Fennelly's doghouse? The timing could be good as I like how she plays. Zimm got in early as coach was looking for the right combination. Good to see her out there. She is a no-nonsense player.

Final big stat - free throw shooting. 87 freaking percent. Great job ladies!

What does this win mean? Some crazy stuff. First of all. We ARE officially in the dance. KState had an RPI of 12 before this one. Big win. Second, we get to play KState in the first round of the Big 12 tournament followed by Baylor if we win. Sound familiar? Yep. We just beat KState and get Baylor Sat. I'm hoping for better results this time around. This Saturday isn't the beginning or the end if we win or lose. Yes, a win would elevate our seed and would shock the basketball world. But if we lose, i think it sets the table for some fun in the tournament.

As for me...I can officially put my Aussie flag away. Loz' parents were in the states for senior night. Chas parents were there too. Nice speeches, but both aren't done yet. They'll be back in the friendly confines of Hilton one more time as they try to make another run into the Big Dance. See you in Kansas City everyone! Then I'll be back at Hilton for some more magic.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
My best friend was busy tonight and was putting this game on the DVR to watch later in the evening. I was seriously thinking about texting him and recommending he have a few beers handy just to be able to tolerate watching the first half of what some would say set the game of basketball back about 30 years. In the stands we were joking that we might see an old six on six type of score at the end of this one. Yes...the first half was that bad...and the second was that good.

I don't think I've ever seen two teams shoot so poorly as I did in the first stanza of this game. It was all about turnovers (KState was credited with seven steals at halftime)crazy missed shots (all Pop had after a foul riddled half were two missed layups...including a beautiful fast break one)and amazingly a 21-17 halftime lead. By the way...the 21 points set a new Cyclone record for fewest points scored in a half in Coach Fennelly's tenure. A little bit of bad triva...this season's team has set records for the bottom three scoring games in Coach's stint here...23, 22, and 21 points. Wow. Another record will be talked about later.

Imagine the frustration as it took these two teams, who are battling for 4th place in the toughest conference in the country, more than TEN minutes of play to get past 10 points each. It was only fitting that as bizarre as this game was it was our freshman point guard who kept us in it by hitting several crucial shots. I wish I could give all the credit for this win to our defense. Yes, it was very good...at times incredibly good. But KState also shot very very bad.

Let's talk about the defense. It was led by Chas. Man, she hounded Chambers again tonight. That girl has to have nightmares about seeing a 23 jersey everywhere she goes. When Dickey had the hot hand Chas moved over to her and shut her down. If Chas was the ringleader, the rest of the team followed the ****** to perfection. They were hustling on defense, switching off, double teaming, swatting balls away and just plain getting into the kittens' heads. This was lock down style stoppage tonight. This is what keeps a team in a game when your offense is only scoring 21 points.

At the half I told my wife that ISU was going to come out in the second and score 45 while holding KState to 20. I wasn't far off. Instead it was 36-16 after the break. It wasn't always pretty, but that pesky defense just kept getting stop after stop. On offense, the turnovers stopped for much of the half. After giving up 11 in the first stanza there were none until 5 minutes left in the game. The shooting percentage went from 29% in the first half to 45 in the second behind some great assists and timely shooting by a number of players. What it meant was that the ladies in red pulled away and buried KState 57-33. Oh yeah...that other record? 33 is the fewestpoints allowed in Big 12 history. Pretty deserving I would say.

Player of the game - Moody. No doubt. While she still had some off moments on defense and still has some crazy passes, it was her shooting from deep that made the difference. When she got into gear, oh my, she was scary at times. Just please...please...stop with the overhead cross court passes.

Runner up for POG? Lauren and Big C really were fun to watch in the this one. Lauren had an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers and didn't shoot all that well, but she had some beautiful drives in the land of tall people and hit some key shots. Big C was a monster on the boards while pulling down 8 and scoring in double figures.

Honorable mention? Prins. She played some of her best defense tonight. Offensively...well...I've never seen her shoot an airball from three before and she did it twice tonight...but remember this game was about defense.

What about Pop? Completely neutralized. Did grab 7 boards in 17 minutes, but she was clearly frustrated as she missed bunnies and had as many fouls as she did points. Ticky tack officiating didn't help her cause, but she did contribute mightily to it.

Missing player sightings!! For the first time since the last century the court was graced with Fallon Ellis' presence. Perhaps she is climbing out of Coach Fennelly's doghouse? The timing could be good as I like how she plays. Zimm got in early as coach was looking for the right combination. Good to see her out there. She is a no-nonsense player.

Final big stat - free throw shooting. 87 freaking percent. Great job ladies!

What does this win mean? Some crazy stuff. First of all. We ARE officially in the dance. KState had an RPI of 12 before this one. Big win. Second, we get to play KState in the first round of the Big 12 tournament followed by Baylor if we win. Sound familiar? Yep. We just beat KState and get Baylor Sat. I'm hoping for better results this time around. This Saturday isn't the beginning or the end if we win or lose. Yes, a win would elevate our seed and would shock the basketball world. But if we lose, i think it sets the table for some fun in the tournament.

As for me...I can officially put my Aussie flag away. Loz' parents were in the states for senior night. Chas parents were there too. Nice speeches, but both aren't done yet. They'll be back in the friendly confines of Hilton one more time as they try to make another run into the Big Dance. See you in Kansas City everyone! Then I'll be back at Hilton for some more magic.

Chas was the player of the game, her defense set the tone for the entire team. Without her shutting down Chambers it is a different game. Nikki had a great game, but Chas was so fun to watch and the look on Chambers face was priceless, and throw in the fact she got pulled out of the game says it all.

Z came in to spell Anna since Pop was in foul trouble and Anna need a quick rest.

I don't think Fallon has been in Fennelly's doghouse, she is just stuck playing behind Pop, Hallie, Anna, and Z.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Chas was the player of the game, her defense set the tone for the entire team. Without her shutting down Chambers it is a different game. Nikki had a great game, but Chas was so fun to watch and the look on Chambers face was priceless, and throw in the fact she got pulled out of the game says it all.

Z came in to spell Anna since Pop was in foul trouble and Anna need a quick rest.

I don't think Fallon has been in Fennelly's doghouse, she is just stuck playing behind Pop, Hallie, Anna, and Z.

Can't argue about Chas as her D was incredible as I pointed out. I just felt that without Moody...we fall behind and that screws your psyche. Ellis...well...the inside word used "doghouse." she hasn't seen the light of day since the Big 12 started after being a critical part of the rotation in the non-conference. I'm just glad to see her as I liken her to a freshman Pop.

Also point out an error on my part. The lowest regular season point total for a half by a Fennelly squad was 11 points on 04. Anyone feel better yet? Lol

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Also point out an error on my part. The lowest regular season point total for a half by a Fennelly squad was 11 points on 04. Anyone feel better yet? Lol

I'm pretty sure we scored single digits in the first half @ Tech in 1999 or 2001. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Yep. 9 points in 1999. http://www.texastech.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/012199aaa.html . That was our Elite Eight team, too. 3-28 from the field in the first half en route to a 28-9 halftime deficit.
http://www.texastech.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/012199aaa.html

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Excellent write-up except for the 6 on 6 part. Those games were routinely in the 80s to 100s IIRC.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm pretty sure we scored single digits in the first half @ Tech in 1999 or 2001. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Yep. 9 points in 1999. Sixth ranked Lady Raiders squelch 14th ranked Iowa State, 71-47 - Texas Tech Red Raiders Official Athletic Site . That was our Elite Eight team, too. 3-28 from the field in the first half en route to a 28-9 halftime deficit.
http://www.texastech.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/012199aaa.html

Holy guacamole batman! For me the pain of that season was the loss to Georgia. The twins lit us up.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Loved the fact that even though the shots did not fall at first for LOZ she kept putting them up and then hit a few for 13 points.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron