NFL: Chicago Bears to sign WR Roy Williams

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
According to Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun Times.

https://twitter.com/#!/skjensen/status/96812388875120640

The Bears signing of Jaguars WR Mike Sims-Walker is also a possibility soon.

Williams obviously was a bust in Dallas catching only 94 balls for 1,324 yards and 13 touchdowns in 40 games in 3 seasons for the Cowboys.

However, Williams did have 146 catches for 2,148 yards and 12 touchdowns in 28 games between 2006 and 2007 in Detroit when Mike Martz was the Lions offensive coordinator.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Interesting move. Angelo will look like a genius if Williams shows up motivated and ready to prove his critics wrong. But if they get the same Williams who spent the last couple seasons in Dallas then it's a total bust. Sims-Walker would be a tremendous addition; he's an extremely underrated WR.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Hopefully they didn't have to pay him much. Id rather see them land a starting caliber guard or tackle.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, I wonder what they're doing as well. Another thing that didn't make sense was the Greg Olsen trade.

Martz is a WR guy. TE's never catch many balls in his offense and he seems to like more of a blocking TE. So, getting rid of Olsen and bringing in Williams and Sims-Walker makes sense to me. Martz basically dismantled my Rams, though, so him getting his way is not always a good thing.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Roy Williams might not be the only big receiver being imported to Chicago from Dallas.

Sam Hurd also could be joining him on the Chicago Bears, according to a report by Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

It was believed that the Cowboys wanted to bring Hurd back to be their third receiver after they cut Williams, but Hurd may like his opportunity in Chicago better.

Hurd, 26, grew up in Texas, but went to college at Northern Illinois.

At 6-2, 205, he is a tough possession receiver who does not have much deep speed. He also is a decent special teams player and he could be an ideal replacement for Rashied Davis, who agreed to terms with the Lions.
Bears add former Cowboys, NIU wide receiver Hurd - chicagotribune.com

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I'm fine with this. It's not ideal but he knows the Martz system and since players have so little time this year to learn a new playbook, this was probably best.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Are the Bears going after Plaxico?

No

It appears likely that Plaxico Burress will be playing for one of his two former teams, the New York Giants or the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to team and league sources.
After a dinner with Giants coach Tom Coughlin on Friday night, Burress plans to fly to Pittsburgh to meet with coach Mike Tomlin, sources said.
Sources believe only a productive, fence-mending meeting between Burress and Coughlin stands between the wide receiver rejoining the Giants and potentially making an incentive-laced $10 million over two years.
However, Tomlin expects to make his own strong sales pitch for Burress to join the Steelers, who made him a first-round draft choice out of Michigan State in 2000, sources added.

The Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets also have expressed varying degrees of interest in Burress, according to sources.
Sources: Plaxico Burress likely to New York Giants or Pittsburgh Steelers - ESPN

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I'd say both are good gets. Hurd showed a lot potential, good size and speed. Williams can be great, but he can also be terrible (dropping passes or fumbling the ball)

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'd say both are good gets. Hurd showed a lot potential, good size and speed. Williams can be great, but he can also be terrible (dropping passes or fumbling the ball)

I believe Hurd is a replacement for R. Davis...IE special teamer. He may get some reps at WR but we need ST guys and he is a good one. Roy isn't going to be helping our ST any.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Martz is a WR guy. TE's never catch many balls in his offense and he seems to like more of a blocking TE. So, getting rid of Olsen and bringing in Williams and Sims-Walker makes sense to me. Martz basically dismantled my Rams, though, so him getting his way is not always a good thing.

Yeah you just traded away your best receiver and got Roy Williams. Genius Mike. How about you change the offense and throw to TE's more instead of having them stay in and block. Martz is an overrated POS and this will be his last stop in coaching.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Seriously Bears, why not even look into getting Plaxico? Need a big play receiver.

I think they did. But it sounds like he's really only interested in NY or Pittsburgh.

In the front office's defense, they did offer that lineman more than 3 million more than his other offer but the guy decided to stay home. I don't remember his name but it made the news yesterday. The old idea of the "cheap" bears is a myth these days

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yeah you just traded away your best receiver and got Roy Williams. Genius Mike. How about you change the offense and throw to TE's more instead of having them stay in and block. Martz is an overrated POS and this will be his last stop in coaching.

Yeah, the Bears have a bad offensive line, they need the TE to stay in and help pass protect. Martz did a great job of making changes to the offense mid season to turn it into a productive unit. Martz is a pretty damn good offensive coordinator, stubborn at times, but he would have plenty of offers tomorrow if he got fired from the Bears.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Yeah, the Bears have a bad offensive line, they need the TE to stay in and help pass protect. Martz did a great job of making changes to the offense mid season to turn it into a productive unit. Martz is a pretty damn good offensive coordinator, stubborn at times, but he would have plenty of offers tomorrow if he got fired from the Bears.
More importantly, Mike Martz is not Ron Turner.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
@AdamSchefter: Rams reached agreement with former Jaguars wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker on a one-year deal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron