Freshmen making an impact?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
We've had a lot of freshman Wr make an impact here: Blythe, Darks, Lenz, Bates, Sedrick... and there is not much competition there right now.

We have had some freshmen (true and/or redshirt freshmen) make an impact at WR but Sedrick Johnson wasn't one of them.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
IMO the two guys that had knee surgery will need more time to completely heal (Nealy and Pompey). I think both will RS.

I think remember talk when he signed that Pompey would need this coming year as a RS to fully rehab so I'm not going to count on him this year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think Nealy is the one most people compare to Shontrelle, not Standard. I think it's hard to compare Standard to anyone. He's incomparable. :cool:

Maybe a smaller Hiawatha Rutland, a straight-ahead slasher with speed? I'm searching here.

I think maybe a taller ARob would be more accurate. I don't think he's like Shontrelle.

I have a feeling some of the guys mentioned here likely won't make it to campus. Right now, counting the incoming jucos who enrolled early and J. Millier, there are 69 scholarship players on the team. That leaves 20 newcomers yet to arrive, which puts us 4 over the 85 limit.

There are at least 4 guys in the incoming class who are said to be iffy on grades, including a couple of our better recruits. I just hope the attrition is going to come from players already enrolled and not any of the newcomers, unless some of the new guys are grayshirt candidates.

I have that same feeling and history tells me that feeling is correct.

I just think that a 6'7" 250 pound DE would be something that our team has absolutely 0 of right now. The best way to get playing time early is to bring something that the team doesn't have.

I also think it is much easier as a freshmen to learn to play the position effectively enough to play a few snaps a game and give some breathers than it is to put on the 30 or so pounds that he outweighs the rest of our DEs by.

I suppose I would agree with that but I would also say that burning a redshirt for a few snaps a game when he isn't ready to be a factor is also a waste. Of course, if he is motivated to play and comes in here at 270 and in shape with improved technique then I will eat crow and do it happily.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I just looked him up. The fact that the word redshirt is being mentioned in the same breath as his name by our fans with #'s like that out of HS and an offer from Nebraska, is a complement to the RB's we have.

Yeah, I know. I can't believe I am saying that myself.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I have a feeling some of the guys mentioned here likely won't make it to campus. Right now, counting the incoming jucos who enrolled early and J. Millier, there are 69 scholarship players on the team. That leaves 20 newcomers yet to arrive, which puts us 4 over the 85 limit.

There are at least 4 guys in the incoming class who are said to be iffy on grades, including a couple of our better recruits. I just hope the attrition is going to come from players already enrolled and not any of the newcomers, unless some of the new guys are grayshirt candidates.

I bet just as many current guys leave as newcomers do not make it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just think that a 6'7" 250 pound DE would be something that our team has absolutely 0 of right now. The best way to get playing time early is to bring something that the team doesn't have.

I also think it is much easier as a freshmen to learn to play the position effectively enough to play a few snaps a game and give some breathers than it is to put on the 30 or so pounds that he outweighs the rest of our DEs by.

It doesn't work that way I'm afraid. If you have that kind of size, combined with some athletic ability, you can get a scholarship offer based off of potential alone... which I believe is the case here.

But once you get to Big 12 football, you better bring more to the table than size and some athleticism. You better KNOW how to play the position. There is a lot of technique to learn. A lot to learn about "staying home" and not always getting sucked in on the speed rush, etc.

Irving will most likely need a year to learn the ropes. Hope I'm wrong, but all indications seem to point in that direction.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, I think they want to keep me at defensive end. I can play defensive tackle but I prefer defensive end. I’ll be going out there in June or July to get started which is important because they said they want to beef me up before next season. That will be key because they said I could challenge for playing time as a freshman and I really want to make a big impact at Iowa State
This is from David Irving in August. I wonder if they said he could challenge for playing time just to get him committed, or if they actually believe it. Knowing Rhoads I doubt he lied to him. We have Lattimer, Maggitt, Nelson, Neal, and Scott at end. Nelson is said to be just a pass rusher, Neal is not very good, Scott is fast, but we can't be sure if he can hold up. I could see Irving being better than those three. However, I wouldn't put money on him being better and a redshirt might be better for him.

Reactions: Aclone

Lifer

Sep 15, 2007
Overland Park, KS
Irving may be the most physically gifted athlete in the class. He's massive, fast and can leap like crazy, but he's raw and young for the class (if I remember right, he won't even be 18 until sometime in August). If I was going to bet on it, I'd put my money on a RS.

At least I hope thats the case, a year of practice and collegiate weight room experience could do wonders for him.

The thing about Irving is that if we r/s him I think he's gone after his junior year(early draft entry). I think his talent is that great, so why not try to get him going by playing him some. I don't see as a waste of a year, I see it as prepping him for a starting role next year. He will learn way more by playing few snaps a game rather than r/s IMO.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The thing about Irving is that if we r/s him I think he's gone after his junior year(early draft entry). I think his talent is that great, so why not try to get him going by playing him some. I don't see as a waste of a year, I see it as prepping him for a starting role next year. He will learn way more by playing few snaps a game rather than r/s IMO.
I am fanatical as they come, but worrying about a guy leaving early seems odd in a discussion about redshirts. If he is as good as you say, he won't need charity playing time like you describe.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It doesn't work that way I'm afraid. If you have that kind of size, combined with some athletic ability, you can get a scholarship offer based off of potential alone... which I believe is the case here.

But once you get to Big 12 football, you better bring more to the table than size and some athleticism. You better KNOW how to play the position. There is a lot of technique to learn. A lot to learn about "staying home" and not always getting sucked in on the speed rush, etc.

Irving will most likely need a year to learn the ropes. Hope I'm wrong, but all indications seem to point in that direction.

Well one could also say that it doesn't matter how good your technique is, you can't play in the Big 12 without having a fair amount of size. You could be the smartest DE in the country but if you are only 200 pounds you are going to be innefective.

Give me size over technique as a freshman because guess what, you can't teach size.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

If we have a D-end where our worry is that he leaves early, I can live with that. It also shouldn't factor in to whether you RS him or not. His ability to contribute is the only thing that should be looked at.

Lifer

Sep 15, 2007
Overland Park, KS
I am fanatical as they come, but worrying about a guy leaving early seems odd in a discussion about redshirts. If he is as good as you say, he won't need charity playing time like you describe.

Lots of early nfl entries don't start right away or even play significant minutes. Look at how many r/s soph are in the draft this year. Don't you think they wish they would have played them as true freshman if they knew they were going to leave after their sophomore year. Plus DE is one of the easiest positions to come in and play right away, and with our lack of size he would play some right away.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Lots of early nfl entries don't start right away or even play significant minutes. Look at how many r/s soph are in the draft this year. Don't you think they wish they would have played them as true freshman if they knew they were going to leave after their sophomore year. Plus DE is one of the easiest positions to come in and play right away, and with our lack of size he would play some right away.

No, not if they couldn't help the team. It's not about snaps played it's about production.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Well one could also say that it doesn't matter how good your technique is, you can't play in the Big 12 without having a fair amount of size. You could be the smartest DE in the country but if you are only 200 pounds you are going to be innefective.

Give me size over technique as a freshman because guess what, you can't teach size.

At 6-7 250, he will still need good technique.

Lifer

Sep 15, 2007
Overland Park, KS
If we have a D-end where our worry is that he leaves early, I can live with that. It also shouldn't factor in to whether you RS him or not. His ability to contribute is the only thing that should be looked at.

You are 100% and I think he can contribute. Yes, Wally said he needs a lot of work but so does every single one of the 2011 Cyclones. Plus it's not like Wally hands compliments left and right.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm not saying he will have perfect technique, or that he is so huge he won't need to have good technique. I am just saying that there is no DE on our roster that even comes close to 6'7" 250 and especially if he comes in at 260 or so that there is no reason that he can't challenge for PT. Because college coaches are paid to coach technique.

If our coaches feel like they need that size, then I think they will not hesitate to play him.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008

So that I'm clear on this one: we are worried about a kid that had no other real football interest besides ISU leaving early for the Pros? I guess Paul Rhoads has really changed the mindset in Ames.

Come on, I hope the kid eventually contributes. You don't see a lot of guys that are 6'7" freaks on the football field. Maybe David can become one, but he is a long way from contributing.