Freshmen making an impact?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Disagree a little bit. I think the biggest place a freshman can make an impact is in the secondary, either at safety to let Benton move back to corner or nickle so we have better depth there, or at CB. As it is, I think we only have two CBs I'm comfortable with if Benton is at safety/nickle. We need someone else as a backup. if the safeties are as bad as everyone says, maybe we need a freshman to step up at both CB and safety for depth if nothing else.
Experience is very important to an effective starter in the secondary. Playing smart can more than make up for lesser tools. I highly doubt that Brackens or any of the other secondary prospects will be able to pass any of the guys on our roster. Washington looks locked in and Broomfield is not far behind. There will be no freshman in the secondary come August.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Experience is very important to an effective starter in the secondary. Playing smart can more than make up for lesser tools. I highly doubt that Brackens or any of the other secondary prospects will be able to pass any of the guys on our roster. Washington looks locked in and Broomfield is not far behind. There will be no freshman in the secondary come August.

famous last words

Reactions: Omaha Cy

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I have not heard about how bad our safeties are, where did you read this? Washington, Broomfield, Brooks and Jensen lack experience- something a freshman is not going to help.

It was kind of a common theme from just about everyone this spring. The coaches never came right out and said it, but if you listened to some of those after-practice interviews of Elliott, Wally and other defensive coaches, safety play was a concern for them. People who saw them practice were concerned, posters were concerned that the coaches were concerned. Like I said, it was kind a spring theme.

Also, I'm not going to single out a player by name, but one of those guys mentioned here as a backup at CB is not very good. If you look at any of the practice videos or watch any games he's played in, it should be pretty glaring who I'm talking about.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It was kind of a common theme from just about everyone this spring. The coaches never came right out and said it, but if you listened to some of those after-practice interviews of Elliott, Wally and other defensive coaches, safety play was a concern for them. People who saw them practice were concerned, posters were concerned that the coaches were concerned. Like I said, it was kind a spring theme.

Also, I'm not going to single out a player by name, but one of those guys mentioned here as a backup at CB is not very good. If you look at any of the practice videos or watch any games he's played in, it should be pretty glaring who I'm talking about.

Perhaps I should be more concerned, but all I heard was the normal coaches speak about a spot without a returning starter....and that is only at one of the spots, comments on Benton at safety have been explicitly positive.

Keeping Benton as the nickel suggests they may not be that concerned with safety play. Comments that they feel they will be able to again play 7 DB's in a game suggests they may not be that concerned. AA and CW's podcast comparing this year's group to last year was imo optimisitc. The play on Saturday was good, albeit with the aide of the wind and new QB's. Elliot has alluded to Washington being able to get the job done.

One of those mentioned as a back-up CB is fine as a back-up when put into the context of which group (between WR and DB) has the greatest need/chance to see a true freshman play. Plus, he will likely be improved enough in their second year in the program to be better than freshman.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
We've had a lot of freshman Wr make an impact here: Blythe, Darks, Lenz, Bates, Sedrick... and there is not much competition there right now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If we're just talking newcomers, I'd say the following have the best chance of playing....

1. Nealy (slot WR)
2. Ernst Brun (TE)
3. Henry Simon (DT)
4. Pompey (DT)
5. Brackens (S)

I don't think anyone else probably will? I really don't think Irving will be anywhere near ready to play this year. He's a project in the truest sense IMO.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Wally said at the recruiting party that Irving needs work. It sounds like he's probably a definite redshirt, not necessarily to get bigger, but to learn the position and work on technique.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I think Irving will. Just because of his size.

Irving may be the most physically gifted athlete in the class. He's massive, fast and can leap like crazy, but he's raw and young for the class (if I remember right, he won't even be 18 until sometime in August). If I was going to bet on it, I'd put my money on a RS.

At least I hope thats the case, a year of practice and collegiate weight room experience could do wonders for him.

Reactions: Aclone

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
IMO the two guys that had knee surgery will need more time to completely heal (Nealy and Pompey). I think both will RS.

If there is an immediate impact player, my votes would be with Quenton Bundrage, Donald Smith, or Kenneth Lynn.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Might not have an impact right away, but the guy I want to see have an impact and push for immediate playing time is Kenneth Lynn.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Im hoping they RS Standard and let Nealy play the slot a bit this year. But with the emeregence of Horne and West I can see Nealy getting a RS also.
Which one is from St. Louis? I have heard that the RB from St. Louis is a lot like Shontrelle.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If Irving doesn't redshirt I will be shocked. If Lynn does, I will be surprised. I think Lynn will play this year at least the same amount Reeves did his freshman year. Pompey could play. If Simon doesn't, that's probably not a good sign for him. Miller will obviously play. I don't see Bundrage or Ecby playing much. I would put them both at about 60% chance they redshirt. Perhaps the better will see some time and the other will redshirt. Brun could make an impact but he's not a freshman. I don't think Brackens will play. It take a lot of learning to play the safety positions. It could happen due to how thin we are there but I doubt it. With our RBs, I don't see Standard doing anything but redshirting. Nealy could play but likely in the slot. Lemke and Cotton will likely both redshirt. I think both Sams redshirt but the corner could find time playing if he jumps Lynn. I think the better of those two will play but the other will redshirt. Lalk and Dagel, redshirt. Omoile, redshirt then look out. Daniels will redshirt and figure out where he can see the field. I think Lampkin could see time on special teams and maybe as a receiver. There's a good chance he is the fastest guy on the team when he gets here. Donald Smith will likely redshirt unless he is like Knott and Klein-just too valuable on special teams.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I just looked him up. The fact that the word redshirt is being mentioned in the same breath as his name by our fans with #'s like that out of HS and an offer from Nebraska, is a complement to the RB's we have.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Which one is from St. Louis? I have heard that the RB from St. Louis is a lot like Shontrelle.

I think Nealy is the one most people compare to Shontrelle, not Standard. I think it's hard to compare Standard to anyone. He's incomparable. :cool:

Maybe a smaller Hiawatha Rutland, a straight-ahead slasher with speed? I'm searching here.

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
If Irving doesn't redshirt I will be shocked. If Lynn does, I will be surprised. I think Lynn will play this year at least the same amount Reeves did his freshman year. Pompey could play. If Simon doesn't, that's probably not a good sign for him. Miller will obviously play. I don't see Bundrage or Ecby playing much. I would put them both at about 60% chance they redshirt. Perhaps the better will see some time and the other will redshirt. Brun could make an impact but he's not a freshman. I don't think Brackens will play. It take a lot of learning to play the safety positions. It could happen due to how thin we are there but I doubt it. With our RBs, I don't see Standard doing anything but redshirting. Nealy could play but likely in the slot. Lemke and Cotton will likely both redshirt. I think both Sams redshirt but the corner could find time playing if he jumps Lynn. I think the better of those two will play but the other will redshirt. Lalk and Dagel, redshirt. Omoile, redshirt then look out. Daniels will redshirt and figure out where he can see the field. I think Lampkin could see time on special teams and maybe as a receiver. There's a good chance he is the fastest guy on the team when he gets here. Donald Smith will likely redshirt unless he is like Knott and Klein-just too valuable on special teams.

I have a feeling some of the guys mentioned here likely won't make it to campus. Right now, counting the incoming jucos who enrolled early and J. Millier, there are 69 scholarship players on the team. That leaves 20 newcomers yet to arrive, which puts us 4 over the 85 limit.

There are at least 4 guys in the incoming class who are said to be iffy on grades, including a couple of our better recruits. I just hope the attrition is going to come from players already enrolled and not any of the newcomers, unless some of the new guys are grayshirt candidates.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Irving is too raw. He is a definite redshirt. In saying that, I hope I am wrong and he is too good to keep off the field.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I just think that a 6'7" 250 pound DE would be something that our team has absolutely 0 of right now. The best way to get playing time early is to bring something that the team doesn't have.

I also think it is much easier as a freshmen to learn to play the position effectively enough to play a few snaps a game and give some breathers than it is to put on the 30 or so pounds that he outweighs the rest of our DEs by.