Replacement Windows

JRCampy

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I tried resurrecting an old thread about windows last night, but no takers... so we'll try this again... :wink:

The wife and I are looking to have some windows in our house replaced. We currently have casement windows throughout. I was under the impression that we would have to remove everything down to the studs and go back in with new windows, but apparently that isn't the case. We met with a local Des Moines company tonight that said they can use the existing frame and go back in with a new vinyl window. I was surprised.

In any case, we were quoted a price of about $670/window, that is for triple pane, argon filled, dual low-e coatings. I have no idea if that is a good price or not. Can anybody recommend a place in the Des Moines area that they've used in the past?? We're going to get a couple more quote before we decide anything.

Thanks for the help!!!

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I work for a company called Advantage Siding out of Ankeny. We do a lot of windows. My boss could probably give you a quote. I would think it would be cheaper than 670 per window. My boss's name is Kirk and his number is 515 290 8979.

terryk

Apr 13, 2006
Grimes
I tried resurrecting an old thread about windows last night, but no takers... so we'll try this again... :wink:

The wife and I are looking to have some windows in our house replaced. We currently have casement windows throughout. I was under the impression that we would have to remove everything down to the studs and go back in with new windows, but apparently that isn't the case. We met with a local Des Moines company tonight that said they can use the existing frame and go back in with a new vinyl window. I was surprised.

In any case, we were quoted a price of about $670/window, that is for triple pane, argon filled, dual low-e coatings. I have no idea if that is a good price or not. Can anybody recommend a place in the Des Moines area that they've used in the past?? We're going to get a couple more quote before we decide anything.

Thanks for the help!!!

I have an old house with A LOT of windows. We do a few at a time. We have used nuvu, midwest construction and window world. window world wins hands down on price vs quality. Plus they are made in iowa. PM me and i will send you our salesmans name, good guy no pressure.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
do new construction. unless you have vinyl siding, making it difficult to trim them on the outside. i'm doing mine now a few at a time, and use to sell replacement style. the new cons. are better, bigger, and imo look a lot nicer. i'm going with aluminum clad out with real wood inside. the trim covers all the old nail holes as the new window is the same size as the old one. i'm trimming the outside with 1x2's painted white. but i have 8" hardboard siding that i can cut to allow for the trim boards.

not a fan of vinyl, it just has always looked cheap to me, making it hard to sell ;)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron