TV repair help

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
My 3.5 year-old Sanyo HD TV threw craps this weekend. Out of warranty, obviously. I'm hearing that I'm probably better off sucking it up and buying new vs. repair. Thoughts?

FYI I'm in Story County. If anyone knows anyone who'd take a look at it for repair, I'd appreciate the referral.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My 3.5 year-old Sanyo HD TV threw craps this weekend. Out of warranty, obviously. I'm hearing that I'm probably better off sucking it up and buying new vs. repair. Thoughts?

FYI I'm in Story County. If anyone knows anyone who'd take a look at it for repair, I'd appreciate the referral.
I've heard that most repairs on HD sets are cost-prohibitive.

Surprised, however, your Sanyo didn't last longer. Sanyo, despite not being considered in that top-tier performance-wise, is one of the more reliable brand names.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa

What type of problem is it having? If we are talking no picture, no sound, no nothing you are probably looking at a minimum of $350.00. 42" LCD's or Plasma 1080p can be regularly found for under $500, and sometime even closer to $400. If it was me I would buy a new one instead of paying to have it fixed if the cost is over 50% of the price of a new one.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
My first instinct is to always check the capacitors. Could be an easy fix that costs under $10 (assuming you do it yourself, or know someone who is comfortable with the repair).

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I recommend Millard Electronics in Des Moines as a good place for a diagnosis/repair if it comes down to it. They are a "factory authorized service center" for many name brand appliances, including Sanyo. I had to use their services about 2 months ago to fix my receiver, as they are the only authorized Pioneer service center in Iowa. I was very satisfied with the results, but I had all my repairs done for free since my receiver was still under warranty. They should be able to diagnose your TV in the store, but if it requires any major repairs they will have to ship it to their main service center in Omaha.

http://www.millardelectronics.com/

crgrat

Jul 1, 2008
Vj's Tv Repair on the west side of Ankeny has always treated me well...reasonable prices as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Speaking of TV repairs...

I have a 3 year old Samsung LCD that I'm having some issues turning on. Sometimes it takes the TV 5-6 attempts to turn itself on (it'll go click, click, ringtone, not turn on; click, click, ringtone, not turn on; repeat until the fifth or sixth time when it does), and when it does turn on lots of magenta, cyan, and yellow pixels are showing all over the screen. I turn the TV off, immediately turn it back on, and it's working normally.

Other times I'll turn it on and it will turn on immediately, but I'll have various colored vertical lines over the entire screen with the sound of whatever channel is on. After letting the TV warm up a little bit, I can turn it off and turn it back on and get a normal picture.

Does anyone know if this problem is even fixable, and if it is, is it even worth fixing, or should I start saving my spare cash to buy a new TV in the near future?

lizzie

Oct 30, 2006
Colorado
I had the same issue with my Samsung TV. Googled the problem and was very surprised to see that the issue is very, very common with their TVs. They have acknowledged they put cheap capacitors in. I called Samsung to discuss the problem and after speaking to a few higher-ups I was able to get my TV fixed for free, even though it was not under warranty.

If you have any more questions, send me a PM. Hope this helps!

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
My first instinct is to always check the capacitors. Could be an easy fix that costs under $10 (assuming you do it yourself, or know someone who is comfortable with the repair).

Speaking of TV repairs...

I have a 3 year old Samsung LCD that I'm having some issues turning on. Sometimes it takes the TV 5-6 attempts to turn itself on (it'll go click, click, ringtone, not turn on; click, click, ringtone, not turn on; repeat until the fifth or sixth time when it does), and when it does turn on lots of magenta, cyan, and yellow pixels are showing all over the screen. I turn the TV off, immediately turn it back on, and it's working normally.

Other times I'll turn it on and it will turn on immediately, but I'll have various colored vertical lines over the entire screen with the sound of whatever channel is on. After letting the TV warm up a little bit, I can turn it off and turn it back on and get a normal picture.

Does anyone know if this problem is even fixable, and if it is, is it even worth fixing, or should I start saving my spare cash to buy a new TV in the near future?

I had the same issue with my Samsung TV. Googled the problem and was very surprised to see that the issue is very, very common with their TVs. They have acknowledged they put cheap capacitors in. I called Samsung to discuss the problem and after speaking to a few higher-ups I was able to get my TV fixed for free, even though it was not under warranty.

If you have any more questions, send me a PM. Hope this helps!

Capacitors, capacitors, capacitors. Many manufacturers put CHEAP capacitors in their products. You can either 1) replace the bad caps yourself with quality parts for a few bucks, or 2) complain enough and the company will likely fix the tv for free or at a reduced cost.

They might even offer you a brand new replacement at a reduced cost. I know all of these things from experience :)

Also, getting repairs done at a shop is generally not a good idea. Most of the time they just swap boards instead of doing actual repairs. You'll end up getting replacement boards with the same crappy components on them...so you end up paying big bucks and your tv is likely to fail again down the road.

Last edited:

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
I installed a flux capacitor, but when I tuned to channel 88 the whole thing disappeared.

Actually, it may just be the power board. Their (Sanyo) live help turned out to possibly be helpful. I'm going to get a buddy with a multimeter to come check, but I may be able to fix it for the price of a new board, maybe $80.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll track this thread in case this isn't the fix.