Big 12 Tourney #5 seed: Colorado?

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Well, with Missouri's loss to Nebraska, as well as Baylor's loss to OSU, it seems that there is a decent chance that Colorado is going to end up as the #5 seed...

-This is assuming that Missouri loses to Kansas on Saturday
-This also assumes that we lose at K-State and that Colorado continues their good play on their home court against Nebraska.
-And this assumes Baylor loses to Texas...

If these results hold true, then even if we beat Colorado on Wednesday, they'll still end up as the #5 seed because Colorado will hold the tiebreaker over Missouri.

If course it is still possible we could play anybody in the group of K-State, Missouri, Colorado, or Baylor, but its looking more and more like Colorado is going to be the most likely opponent...

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Well, with Missouri's loss to Nebraska, as well as Baylor's loss to OSU, it seems that there is a decent chance that Colorado is going to end up as the #5 seed...

-This is assuming that Missouri loses to Kansas on Saturday
-This also assumes that we lose at K-State and that Colorado continues their good play on their home court against Nebraska.
-And this assumes Baylor loses to Texas...

If these results hold true, then even if we beat Colorado on Wednesday, they'll still end up as the #5 seed because Colorado will hold the tiebreaker over Missouri.

If course it is still possible we could play anybody in the group of K-State, Missouri, Colorado, or Baylor, but its looking more and more like Colorado is going to be the most likely opponent...

Nebraska is even a possibility if they happen to beat CU

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah, I think as I was looking at it, I think Nebraska was somehow possible as a 5 seed too, but it'd have to be a crazy finish for that...

As I said, this is also based off the assumption that Missouri loses to Kansas, but you know Missouri will be a tough beat at home on Senior day...

If Missouri would win, they are the 5 seed unless we beat K-State that day too.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I think we can beat anybody but I just don't want to face Missouri.

id rather face Mizzou than K-State, Mizzou would be coming in on a 3 game losing streak and K-State is the hottest team in the conference. Wish we could still play A&M I would love another shot at them...

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Mizzou is going to be looking to bounce back in the tourney and KState is hot, either team would destroy us. Can we still win out and player either Baylor, Nebby, or Colorado in the first round?

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Actually I have no idea who I would prefer to play.
-KState is hot
-Mizzou needs to improve seeding for NCAA
-CU, Nebby, and Baylor are all on the bubble
Bottom four mentioned need good runs in the Big 12 tourney.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
I wonder how the other teams feel about grabbing the 5 seed and playing Iowa State. Do you think they'd rather play us, or rather play OU or Tech?

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
People on here are obviously biased, but I think ISU is more dangerous than Oklahoma or Texas Tech because of the potential to hit a bunch of 3's in a game if we get hot...that and I still think we're better than Tech or Oklahoma this year because we've had so many games that could've easily been W's to propel us past the two in the standings.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This could be the most balance since the Big 12's inception, at least from 3rd place downward.

I think ISU could knock off any team that winds up at 5, on a neutral court, but I think any team in that slot has varying motivation not to lose that one (either improved seeding or staying on the good side of the bubble).

Conference tournaments have rarely been kind to the Cyclones, and I don't foresee an upset in the opening round this season, either — but if we're going to weather so many near-wins ... even one win would be nice.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
My guess is Missouri beats KU on Saturday, and ISU plays Missouri on Wednesday.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Wouldn't we play the #1 seed in second round?

nope, the brackets are true for the secound round meaning, 1 play 8 and so on, so if we win we are slotted in the 5 seed game for round 2 meaning we play the 4 seed. Most likely KSU.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I think I'd rather play Colorado than Mizzou. Seems they both have similar styles of play, but Colorado has shown they can have some really off games from time to time.