Taking your own lunch...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Looking for some ideas for lunch as I'm trying to avoiding going out for lunch. Right now I have some of those Hormel lunch things and those are hit or miss depending on the day.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I pretty much pack a cold cut sandwich everyday, along with some fruit and maybe a granola bar. If you get sick of sandwiches you can switch it up with wraps, or using pita instead of bread.

Leftovers from the night before always work well.

In the winter I eat a lot of Progresso soup that I nuke in the microwave.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Looking for some ideas for lunch as I'm trying to avoiding going out for lunch. Right now I have some of those Hormel lunch things and those are hit or miss depending on the day.

When I bring a lunch from home it's usually Campbell's Chunky soups or a Marie Callender or Healthy Choice steamer.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I eat a lot of ham and cheese sandwiches along with pretzels or baked chips.

Occasionally, I make a big pot of chili and eat that for lunch for at least a week.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I usually take a sandwich and a honeycrisp apple. I got tired of a regular sandwich so I started to church it up. Put a nicer type of meat on it. I bought some Klaussen pickles, and even some banana peppers to throw on there. A slice of pepperjack cheese and a dash or two of louisianna hot sauce for some spice and you have a pretty good sandwich. Oh yeah and all natural bread, you would be amazed how much better a sandwich tastes when it isn't just some random cold cuts on sara lee or hy-vee bread.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Usually some sort of sandwhich, or ill make a meal and have that for several days, like tuna and noodles, or pasta.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
I don't know if you live close to Des Moines, but Trader Joe's has some solid frozen microwaveable meals that are better then the typical variety.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I eat a crap ton of leftovers and microwave stuff. Generally even the nuked stuff is cheaper and more healthy than eating out. Emphasis on the cheaper. The wife and daughter get to drink coffees and buy lunch but the guy who pays for it all is being responsible. No, I am not bitter. :twitcy:

Last edited:

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I like to bring leftovers. It's nice to have a hot lunch in the winter. I'll do sandwiches quite a bit when it's warmer out.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I like to bring leftovers. It's nice to have a hot lunch in the winter. I'll do sandwiches quite a bit when it's warmer out.

Same here. I like the leftovers reheated this time of year. I eat a lot of Michelena's (sp) frozen meals too. Also go through spurts of cold cut sandwiches.

I don't like eating out, i'm too cheap.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I eat a crap ton of leftovers and microwave stuff. Generally even the nuked stuff is cheaper and more healthy than eating out. Emphasis on the cheaper. The wife and daughter get to drink coffees and buy lunch but the guy who pays for it all is being responsible. No, I am not bitter. :twitcy:

I feel 'ya. The gf and I have put more into her daughter's lunch account for breakfast and lunch 'seconds' than I've spent on lunch this month.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I have a mini-fridge in my office and basically go grocery shopping for work like I do for home. I make a lot of homemade soups that I will keep in there for a week at a time or so. Also keep some turkey, bread, and cheese there along with other condiments. The fridge was free so its paid for itself many times over :)

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
It's ridiculous to see how much going out to eat lunch costs you. A reasonable, cheap meal would probably still be ~$4-$6 (food and a drink), which in and of itself isn't bad. But x5, you're talking $20-30 per work week. Multiply that out, and it you're talking about a pretty hefty price tag, just for lunch.

I usually bring leftovers, or make cold cut sandwiches. Throw in a granola bar, candy bar, or bag of chips and a Nalgene of water, and it's good enough for a workday lunch.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
When I was doing Farrell's (workout program), I brought my lunch, and I still try to. Less calories, and cheaper.

I like to cook on Sunday night while I watch TV. I will make a few things and then package them in smaller containers for the week. Generally speaking, if you look at your local grocery store, all the food along the edge is good (not bakery), food in the middle, not good.

I usually try to cook chicken breast, turkey, or lean hamburger. Fish not a great option for the office.

I keep soup as a quick option, but some of those can be high in calories.

One trick I like is to take enough for two smaller meals. Instead of eating a big lunch, I eat something around 11:00, and again around 2:00. I find I can eat less for breakfast, and not stuff myself at dinner if I do that........

I also try to keep some type of nutrition, protein bar, muscle milk around. Not in addition to a meal, but meal replacement. I find a large Guinness fills that role nicely as well......:yes:

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm a leftovers guy. That way I always have something I like and I can eat healthy foods. I keep a stock of sandwich products too, just in case none of the leftovers sound good.

You've got to be careful with the packaged lunches - many claim to be healthy because they're low in fat or calories, but they've got to make those things taste good and last forever somehow so you want to make sure you check the sodium content on them. Some are ridiculously high.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I pretty much pack a cold cut sandwich everyday, along with some fruit and maybe a granola bar. If you get sick of sandwiches you can switch it up with wraps, or using pita instead of bread.

Leftovers from the night before always work well.

In the winter I eat a lot of Progresso soup that I nuke in the microwave.

+1, you can use almost any kind of meat/veggie/cheese/condiment combo using wraps or the pita's. I keep plenty of those on hand and usually use leftovers from a big Sunday meal to create new lunch ideas.