Anyone tried Google TV?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Dish Network is offering me an upgrade to a Google TV-integrated receiver. Wondered if it's worth it.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
What do you mean "GoogleTV integrated"? You don't need the Logitech Revue?

Anyway, my dad got the Logitech Revue from Dish Network a couple weeks ago. It's perfect for him since he didn't have a computer or internet before that. He can sit in his lounger and surf the web while watching TV. Not sold on it yet for myself since I can do the same thing with my laptop. There are some cool features of the Review though. The wireless keyboard becomes your remote for the Dish box and TV. You can search for shows just like you'd search the web, etc...

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
What do you mean "GoogleTV integrated"? You don't need the Logitech Revue?

Anyway, my dad got the Logitech Revue from Dish Network a couple weeks ago. It's perfect for him since he didn't have a computer or internet before that. He can sit in his lounger and surf the web while watching TV. Not sold on it yet for myself since I can do the same thing with my laptop. There are some cool features of the Review though. The wireless keyboard becomes your remote for the Dish box and TV. You can search for shows just like you'd search the web, etc...
Yes you do still need the Revue box. My use of the word "integrated" was incorrect. They are offering it as a package with a new DVR upgrade. The equipment is $179, which is $120 off the stand-alone price, and there's a $4/month fee going forward. Like I said, I would not seek something like this out were it not offered to me, but seems like a pretty good price for something with a lot of potential and usefulness.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
From the advertising, it looks like you become Kevin Bacon if you get it. :huh:

I haven't used it, but thought that you could get it on various recievers besides the Logitech. Just curious, how long have you had Dish?

chewbocka

Nov 25, 2009
Yes you do still need the Revue box. My use of the word "integrated" was incorrect. They are offering it as a package with a new DVR upgrade. The equipment is $179, which is $120 off the stand-alone price, and there's a $4/month fee going forward. Like I said, I would not seek something like this out were it not offered to me, but seems like a pretty good price for something with a lot of potential and usefulness.

If the $4 per month is for two years on contract, you'll end up paying more on their plan than if you just buy it outright.

48 * 4 = 192 + 179 = $371, you can buy these for $300 online

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
From the advertising, it looks like you become Kevin Bacon if you get it. :huh:

I haven't used it, but thought that you could get it on various recievers besides the Logitech. Just curious, how long have you had Dish?
Had Dish probably 2.5 years or so

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
If the $4 per month is for two years on contract, you'll end up paying more on their plan than if you just buy it outright.

48 * 4 = 192 + 179 = $371, you can buy these for $300 online
Um, two years is only 24 months.

24*4=96+179=275

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
This deal is available to all Dish Network customers on their website. My parents got it and I enjoyed using it when I visited them. There is also a smartphone app that turns your phone into the remote if you want to do that. I used it to mess with people watching TV. I've been thinking about getting it and the camera so we can do video calls on the TV.