Suggestions needed

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Hey Fanatics. I am a worker at West Cyde Wings and I am reaching out to you guys because we have changed ownership again. We are lookin for some ideas or suggestions from the people that make this place go. What are some things that you (the people that go there or have) would like to see added to make this establishment to be more desirable. Any feedback is great so don't be aftraid to share any thoughts. Thanks

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I know its your competition - but BWW can rape people at will at the cash register because the wings kick ***.

I like your sauce selection - but the wings themselves are a little puny. also, I assume you offer a boneless verison? only been in there a couple times a while back and I can't remember. But those are really popular among the folks I eat bar food with.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Decent sized boneless wings and good sauces will bring my friends and I over from BWW.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We do offer a boneless wing. Our boneless wings are honestly cut every day from a whole chicken breast. We then flour them ourselves, making the breading better. I am not being biased here but i actually think our wings are better than BWW. I am pretty sure that BWW boneless wings are all precut and floured making them not as fresh.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Continue the wing deals on Tuesdays. My friends and I always went there on Tuesdays. Also, offer 15 wing baskets, don't limit it to 10, 20, 30, etc. It's been random in the past, half the time I'd be told I can only do orders of 10's and other times I'd be able to get 15. Make it consistent.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
oh - and find a Honey bbq sauce that contains crack ... those bastards have taken alot of money off of me because of my addiction. seriously, I hate them and love them all at the same time.

I'll have to check you guys out if I get over there for a basketball game anytime soon. didn't realize it changed hands.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
My opinion is getting the UFC fights back. I know that it is expensive, but once you get those people in the door they start ordering things. I believe the reason West Cyde went away from them last time was due to all the other places that show the fights. Well not a single business in Ames shows them anymore. I would look into getting the fights back.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Continue the wing deals on Tuesdays. My friends and I always went there on Tuesdays. Also, offer 15 wing baskets, don't limit it to 10, 20, 30, etc. It's been random in the past, half the time I'd be told I can only do orders of 10's and other times I'd be able to get 15. Make it consistent.

I know exactly what your talking about and that has been a huge problem. I am a cook and has been a pain in the arse to keep straight sometimes. I know that the servers allow that to happen is because they are feeling generous or sometimes it isn't as busy. The only real problem is when people want 5 of sauce and that just becomes a pain.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
My opinion is getting the UFC fights back. I know that it is expensive, but once you get those people in the door they start ordering things. I believe the reason West Cyde went away from them last time was due to all the other places that show the fights. Well not a single business in Ames shows them anymore. I would look into getting the fights back.

This has been a huge issue believe it or not. The reason that they went away from the fights is because for a business to just get the fights, that alone costs $1000. The original owner went away from the fights was because he just didn't make money off of it. Not saying I agree with it but just saying why.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
We are trying to get everyone to cut the same size but getting people to listen has seemed to be a little difficult apparently.

Cutting chicken, especially off of the bone, is difficult to do with any consistency. At the restaurant I ran we had one prep cook specifically for Chix/Meats, meaning only two people needed to be VERY GOOD at it(seven shifts per week needed to be covered), and would cross train in case of sickness or vacation. That achieved consistency and since he was cutting 120 to 240# of chix from breast to small pieces saved a lot of money by minimizing waste and labor. You may already do this, but calling prep in the morning and having everything split consistently so the prep cooks are always doing the same thing creates consistency and speed.

Of course, you may already do all of this, but when you say having everyone do it the same seems to mean that a lot more people are in this process than may need be. Also, when you call prep in the AM you need to be accurate and prepare enough to at least begin lunch the next day.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
I love going to WCW but i think the menu doesnt have the choices that BWW seems to have. the wings are damn good at WCW but id like to see ribs and stuff like that added to the menu. the prices seem to be reasonable overall but some more menu options may help. adding booths and stuff besides just tables would be a nice change too

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Cutting chicken, especially off of the bone, is difficult to do with any consistency. At the restaurant I ran we had one prep cook specifically for Chix/Meats, meaning only two people needed to be VERY GOOD at it(seven shifts per week needed to be covered), and would cross train in case of sickness or vacation. That achieved consistency and since he was cutting 120 to 240# of chix from breast to small pieces saved a lot of money by minimizing waste and labor. You may already do this, but calling prep in the morning and having everything split consistently so the prep cooks are always doing the same thing creates consistency and speed.

Of course, you may already do all of this, but when you say having everyone do it the same seems to mean that a lot more people are in this process than may need be. Also, when you call prep in the AM you need to be accurate and prepare enough to at least begin lunch the next day.

Totally agree with your comment. For the most part, I think the same people are cutting the chicken. I work the night shift mainly so I can't exactly say who is doing the prep all the time. We cut approximently 3 boxes of chicken a day. We have found that this is the right amount to make for that day/night and to get us started the next day.

CONEClone

Dec 16, 2009
Ames
Honestly...the traditional wings now are just bad. Not just size but also the meat itself. My friend and I used to be regulars Tuesdays but as the traditional wings kept getting smaller and prices kept going higher we stopped going.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I love going to WCW but i think the menu doesnt have the choices that BWW seems to have. the wings are damn good at WCW but id like to see ribs and stuff like that added to the menu. the prices seem to be reasonable overall but some more menu options may help. adding booths and stuff besides just tables would be a nice change too

I believe that some of the reason that we have a limited selection on types of food is because of the size of our kitchen. I know the new owners have talked about the menu so there may be some kind of change.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Is there something you can do to have some cool guests occasionally? For instance, I think it would be fun to watch MBB with guys like Arnaud giving comments. As long as he is done using his eligibility, there might not be a problem related to his amateur status. Give these guys some free food, Twitter that they are there, and I would think you would get some more customers. It would certainly make it more than just watching games. Similarly, get some seniors from the football team to watch pro games there and announce it on Twitter. I love hearing what these guys have to say about the games.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Is there something you can do to have some cool guests occasionally? For instance, I think it would be fun to watch MBB with guys like Arnaud giving comments. As long as he is done using his eligibility, there might not be a problem related to his amateur status. Give these guys some free food, Twitter that they are there, and I would think you would get some more customers. It would certainly make it more than just watching games. Similarly, get some seniors from the football team to watch pro games there and announce it on Twitter. I love hearing what these guys have to say about the games.

This is one helluva an idea. I know for sure that we get athletes coming in all the time. Arob was in there quite a bit along with Arnaud and a few lineman. This could very be easily done.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron