Laser eye surgery - your experience?

jonnyb21

Apr 18, 2006
Had mine done 18 months ago and it too was one of the greatest decisions I've ever made. I got mine done at Lasik Plus in WDM for around $3200 total.

I had some bruising and dryness for 3 or 4 weeks after the surgery but after a couple of months I hardly noticed and today I can't say I ever really notice any dryness or problems. I did use the drops pretty religiously for the first 4 or 5 months, but now I don't remember the last time I've used them.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
So, if you wear contacts, do you still have to go without them for a while before they do the surgery?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
While we're talking about this, has anyone had the Lasik where they correct one eye for reading and the other for seeing far? I can't remember the term for it at the moment.
That's one of the things that has been holding me back. I've been thinking of getting a 6 month supply of contacts to try it and see if I would like it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I stopped being a giant chicken and had laser surgery yesterday for severe astigmatism and farsightedness. They put 'bandage contacts' in my eyes, to be removed later today in a follow up visit. Has anyone else had these - does some of the fuzziness go away after they're out? How long until the world is in focus?

I'm amazed at how much I can see without my glasses - but I'm looking forward to the final results and hope they're as good as what I've heard from others who had the procedure.

12 years in... Was 20/15 up until a few years ago then recently went back to glasses. will wait and see where my vision ends up this time and get a re-do if possible.

This will sound melodramatic, but it was lifechanging for me being liberated from corrective lenses...

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I had both eyes done, cost was $6200 total.. Fantastic decision for me. I would definitely NOT recommend going the cheap route to anyone considering the surgery.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I had both eyes done, cost was $6200 total.. Fantastic decision for me. I would definitely NOT recommend going the cheap route to anyone considering the surgery.

I planned on holding off until I got some coupons.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Sounds like your Dr. got you to pay for his vacation to the Bahamas. Yikes.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I think mine was $2100 an eye ... did them a week apart over the new year so I could use flex money from both years for it.

The weirdest thing is that you can smell the eye burning ... like flesh burning smell, kinda nasty. oh, and when they cut the flap you go from seeing a little red light "on light" to red haze comsuming your entire vision.

its a good time though - do it!

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Sounds like your Dr. got you to pay for his vacation to the Bahamas. Yikes.

Haha, it was very expensive.. My eyesight was beyond terrible(around -10 each eye).. $6200 later, I have 20/10 each eye and 20/5 overall.. My surgery was more expensive than most due to the procedure I had..

Last edited:

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Haha, it was very expensive.. My eyesight was beyond terrible(around -10 each eye).. $6200 later, I have 20/10 each eye and 20/5 overall.. My surgery was more expensive than most due to the procedure I had..

-10 for contact Rx? Holy blindness batman! My wife was something like -4.0 when she had lasik done, and I thought she was blind as a bat.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
-10 for contact Rx? Holy blindness batman! My wife was something like -4.0 when she had lasik done, and I thought she was blind as a bat.

If I remember correctly, my contact Rx was -9.. I had to have appts with three optometrists, they determined -10 to be safe(they wanted to make sure I was going to be better than 20/20 rather than worse)..

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Dumb question, but what's considered "legally blind"? You and Drizzle (-10) have to be knocking on the door at least.

I'm non-functioning without contacts or glasses. Under normal light, for example, I'd probably need to be within two feet of a normal digital clock to read it clearly.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Dumb question, but what's considered "legally blind"? You and Drizzle (-10) have to be knocking on the door at least.

I'm at -9 and without contact in I can only see clearly about 8inches from my face. I really want eye surgery but my eyes are still getting worse at age 26. Heck they don't even make contacts beyond -12. Wearing glasses at my prescription and driving is not fun.

Help Support Us

Become a patron