What if.....

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I remember when LE used to call timeouts just to argue with the refs, and not even talk to the team. Funny as hell. Especially when you were buy the court and could hear him!

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I remember when LE used to call timeouts just to argue with the refs, and not even talk to the team. Funny as hell. Especially when you were buy the court and could hear him!

I thought there were a few times today when McD could have went off during a timeout. But he would just talk to the ref and then half-way grin. I was hoping, once, just once, show some life and go off!

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008

And when Varley was on the team (before he got some minutes) LE would just go rip on him at the end of the bench when somebody else would do something wrong. It was classic LE and Varley would just sit there and take it.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
You serious? Clemente is better than DG in EVERY facet of the game. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!! And his shooting is 10000000000000000000000x better.

Diante has a much better FG% than clemente has, all of you guys are basing how good he is off of this game.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Diante has a much better FG% than clemente has, all of you guys are basing how good he is off of this game.

I think most people have seen him play outside of this game.

Would you rather have DG or Clemente?

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I think most people have seen him play outside of this game.

Would you rather have DG or Clemente?

Honestly i haven't seen him play enough to judge that. If i was basing my decision off of the numbers I would have to go with DG who has higher FG%, 3P%, steals per game, assist per game, rebounds, blocks per game. Less fouls and less minutes per game.

I think its hard to go against those statistics

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Nope, straight up trade, Diante or Clemente?

I'll Give ya Scotty at the 2:jimlad:

For how long? Just one game?

Here is what I will say. If I have a 2 that stretches a defense and a post presence then I will take Diante. If I have none of that such as we actually do I will take Clemente.

Reasoning: DG can get to the hole any time he wants to. If we had an active bruiser in the post this would cause a ton of problems. If we had a 2 to stretch the floor it causes more problems. With Clemente, I think he is that guy that can stretch the floor. Ideally I would want both of them. I like a PG that is a PG in the traditional sense. I htink DG is that but because our 2 position has been blah on the offensive end, either with Scotty or Lucca, teams have been able to come at him hard with no worries about another guard beating them. That is why I want CC at the two. He can do a ton of things offensively. Sure, he makes mistakes but his mistakes are by a large majority aggressive. I can live with that.

Basically what I am saying is they are two different types of players with different types of games and it is hard to compare them.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008

Here is what I will say. If I have a 2 that stretches a defense and a post presence then I will take Diante. If I have none of that such as we actually do I will take Clemente.

Reasoning: DG can get to the hole any time he wants to. If we had an active bruiser in the post this would cause a ton of problems. If we had a 2 to stretch the floor it causes more problems. With Clemente, I think he is that guy that can stretch the floor. Ideally I would want both of them. I like a PG that is a PG in the traditional sense. I htink DG is that but because our 2 position has been blah on the offensive end, either with Scotty or Lucca, teams have been able to come at him hard with no worries about another guard beating them. That is why I want CC at the two. He can do a ton of things offensively. Sure, he makes mistakes but his mistakes are by a large majority aggressive. I can live with that.

Basically what I am saying is they are two different types of players with different types of games and it is hard to compare them.[/QUOTE]

100% agree on that but at the end of the day, I would much rather have Clemente. I somewhat understand your above reasoning. Yes, Diante can get to the hole whenever he wants, but what does he do when he gets there?? I'm about one more missed duck away from chucking something at my TV.

He does some nice things and stats play in his favor but he lacks in intangibles. For instance, when K State went on there run, DG gets his pocket picked and they get a fast break dunk. A good point guard should never get his pocket picked, especially in that time and situation. You expect a point guard to be able to stop the bleeding without a coach having to waste a time out, not throw fuel on the fire. It just seems when the going gets a little tough, Diante seems to do the ladder rather than being able to settle down a team.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
KSU plan was to let DG shot the outside shot and not allow him to get to the rim. Every team does that to DG. That is part of the reason players have a hard time getting open. Watch how natural Colvin is at PG, how he can push the ball, how me makes the quick pass, how he finds the open guy. Then watch DG play.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Basically what I am saying is they are two different types of players with different types of games and it is hard to compare them.[/QUOTE]

100% agree on that but at the end of the day, I would much rather have Clemente. I somewhat understand your above reasoning. Yes, Diante can get to the hole whenever he wants, but what does he do when he gets there?? I'm about one more missed duck away from chucking something at my TV.

He does some nice things and stats play in his favor but he lacks in intangibles. For instance, when K State went on there run, DG gets his pocket picked and they get a fast break dunk. A good point guard should never get his pocket picked, especially in that time and situation. You expect a point guard to be able to stop the bleeding without a coach having to waste a time out, not throw fuel on the fire. It just seems when the going gets a little tough, Diante seems to do the ladder rather than being able to settle down a team.

We could argue this for days. I would probably take Clemente too, but I would want someone like Pullen with him. I think Clemente is kind of feast or famine. I haven't seen him a lot but that is kinda how he plays, to me anyway. So if we have him instead of DG we may not be better off. With DG we know what he will give us and you can plan for that as a coach. I would just like to see DG being more aggressive. The more he can get to the hole the better IMO. Yes, sometimes he struggles to finish, but he has a decent FG % overall. He actually hasn't shot the three too bad this year. I realize he doesn't take many.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
KSU plan was to let DG shot the outside shot and not allow him to get to the rim. Every team does that to DG. That is part of the reason players have a hard time getting open. Watch how natural Colvin is at PG, how he can push the ball, how me makes the quick pass, how he finds the open guy. Then watch DG play.

I like this. Teams give him the outside shot cause they know it's luck if he makes it. There is in now way shape or form any skill in 3-pt shot he has made in his career here. And for a D-I PG these days that is terrible.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
we would be four games better if DG could make a lay up...if we had clemente we would be damn near undefeated

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
DG was a crowd killer several times yesterday. Was VERY frustrating. Right after we got the crowd up and going fairly loud a few times DG would have one of his textbook careless with the ball moments or a stupid foul. The worse was right there at the start of the second half (you know, the 5 minutes we always give the game away) where he turned it over 2 times in a row at mid court for easy baskets by KSU. I was hoping for a better start after we finally came out and put one in the basket on our first posession but in classic DG style he brings the ball up the court without purposed and coughs it up and next thing you know KSU is up 8 or so.

I know we are lacking depth on the bench now (how many of you were saying during the gam, "boy having Lucca's 3 point shooting would have really streched the defense" yesterday?) but seems like Colvin values the basketball and sees the floor far better than DG does. At the very least if you are going to have both in the game at the same time make Colvin be the one to bring the ball up the court.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
we would be four games better if DG could make a lay up...if we had clemente we would be damn near undefeated

DG actually made 2 in a row at one point yesterday then missed a few when we needed them the most. So tired of his short comings. You can expect lazy ball handling, stupid fouls, poor passing, missed layups, and mediocre FT shooting from him in every game any more. Really frustrates me how he isn't yanked from the game sooner. After those 2 big turnovers yesterday early in the 2nd half I would have sat his butt on the bench for awhile to make a point!

RideRdie4life

Dec 14, 2008
Kansas City
You serious? Clemente is better than DG in EVERY facet of the game. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!! And his shooting is 10000000000000000000000x better.

not true...Clemente is very emotional and can mentally throw a game out the window with one bad call or situation that doesn't go his way. Don't get me wrong he is good but he's a liability at times..likes to force things if he's off..just doesn't play smart

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
not true...Clemente is very emotional and can mentally throw a game out the window with one bad call or situation that doesn't go his way. Don't get me wrong he is good but he's a liability at times..likes to force things if he's off..just doesn't play smart

Are you serious??? Even with his "emotion issue" I wouldn't hesistate for a second if I could trade DG for him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron