You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wasn't it where the Mongolian Buffet is now at the intersection of Duff and Highway 30? I remember the sign back in like 2004

Country Kitchen started at North Grand in the 70s, then moved to South Duff near South 16th around 1989. They closed in 2002 and Ames Community Bank took over that spot -- just across the street south from Applebee's.

• Informative
Reactions: Pat and GMackey32

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Angie’s Kitchen was the late night/early morning breakfast. When, Iwan, the former owner of the Bali Satay House (which is the correct answer for the one restaurant to bring back) bought it, he turned it into Angie’s Cantina and added Mexican food, as well.
I'd been racking my brain trying to remember the name of that place! That place was my intro to Thai/Chinese/Asian food. Not sure if it would still hold up, but I thought it was pretty great at the time. Iwan and his wife were great.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd been racking my brain trying to remember the name of that place! That place was my intro to Thai/Chinese/Asian food. Not sure if it would still hold up, but I thought it was pretty great at the time. Iwan and his wife were great.
He blasted thru the wall and really opened it up for concerts too.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Chinese and Indonesian. It would definitely hold up - took my parents a few times and they loved it, too. Iwan and Loni are in DSM now, and both seem happier and healthier now that they aren’t spending 18 hours a day trying to run a restaurant and bar.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Chinese and Indonesian. It would definitely hold up - took my parents a few times and they loved it, too. Iwan and Loni are in DSM now, and both seem happier and healthier now that they aren’t spending 18 hours a day trying to run a restaurant and bar.
Glad to hear that they're doing well, they were always really good to me.

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
Read through about half this thread.

Gonna "Ackshooalleee" some people here and note that it's ACTUALLY

O'MALLEY & McGEES

Also, Rocky Rococo ruled when we wanted pizza living in Towers.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Solar Inn, S Duff (great food)
The Broiler, far, far West Lincoln Way (HW 30)(great food, free homemade biscuits with meal)
Green Pepper Pizza, CampusTown , Welch Ave (great subs)

Last edited:

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Was Bali the one with the Long Island Ice Tea?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I think the the skin on the roof of my mouth is just about grown back from a Lucullan's upside down pizza. Thank god for the fish bowl of booze to numb the pain.

Reactions: 2122