WVU vs The Big East....getting ugly

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This thing may be getting uglier by the day. Both conferences are in a precarious situation. I wonder what the back up plan is for the B12 if WVU gets screwed by the courts?

While sitting through a lengthy motions hearing in Monongalia County Circuit Court Monday afternoon, in which attorneys for WVU and the Big East argued over the validity of WVU’s lawsuit against the conference, I came to realize that this whole legal battle could get a lot uglier before it’s eventually resolved and that WVU has a tougher challenge ahead to prove the accusations in its lawsuit than I originally thought.
It seems to be the prevailing wisdom around here that the issue will be decided around a conference table rather than in a courtroom. Most seem to think that WVU will just have to pay a hefty penalty ($20 million has been thrown around) and will be on their merry way to the Big XII. But, I get the sense that the Big East is not so willing to let the Mountaineers go for any amount of money and seem ready to fight it out until the bitter end.
If the Big East refuses to relent WVU could be placed in a very precarious position.
When you really think about it, the longer this legal battle wages on the better it is for the Big East. WVU has repeatedly told the Big XII that it will be free and clear to join that conference next year. WVU athletic director Oliver Luck says his department is focused on being in the Big XII next year and not concerned with the lawsuits. That could all be public posturing with negotiations going on behind the scene, but after briefly talking with Big East attorney Benjamin Block I get the feeling that the conference thinks it has a very good case against WVU and Block is a very good attorney with a history of legal victories representing the NFL.
The conference seems very reluctant to negotiate any type of buyout. To back up that assertion, the Big East Conference has recently filed for a preliminary injunction that would force WVU to stay in the conference until all the legal wrangling is finished. In it the conference says no amount of damage award would cover the harm that WVU would cause by leaving the conference early. That doesn’t sound like someone willing to accept a buyout.
If the injunction is granted, what recourse would the Mountaineers have other than to go back on its promise to the Big XII and play in the Big East next year?
What is not clear is what will happen if WVU loses and simply defies all legal orders and goes to the Big XII next season anyway. What if WVU has two sets of schedules and opts to play the one set forth by the Big XII? By all indications the Big East is going to put WVU on the schedule for all its members next year and so will the Big XII.
The Big East has a good case when it says, “There would be irreparable harm to the schools if WVU isn’t in the conference [next season].†It would be virtually impossible for the other seven Big East schools to find a replacement game if this situation is not resolved until the summer. Likewise goes for the Big XII.
Big XII interim-Commissioner Chuck Neinas told reporters when he visited Morgantown this fall that the Big XII must have WVU in the conference next year for scheduling purposes because Missouri is leaving for the SEC. That’s not to mention the ramifications of the Big XII television contract. Neinas says the conference needs ten teams in order to supply enough games to meet its obligations under the league’s television contract.
It’s all very messy right now, and I am becoming less and less confident that WVU will be able to sue its way out of the Big East and into the Big XII. If an out-of-court settlement is not reached I’m not so sure WVU can win at trial and if not it will become a scheduling nightmare for teams in both conferences.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Wvu should tell the big east to do whatever they want but they won't show up to a game and will be playing in the big 12

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The big 12 doesn't HAVE to have west Virginia next year.

I really hope they announce to join for 2013. Then we can pick up 2 more for 2013 as well. Play 2012 with 9 big 12 teams

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I wouldn't mind a year with only 8 conf games. Pick up a gimme and at the worst, we should be 3-1 to start conf. play.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Would the B12 sue WVU if WVU were unable to play next year?? From what I understand, we've pretty much green lighted Mizzou to leave for the SEC...just negotiating departure fees. I don't think we can go back and try to hold them now.

We need 10 teams for the TV contract. What is backup plan if BE can hold WVU to their contract through an injunction ruling??

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
The issue I see is that the Big East not only has to prove that harm would be done were WVU to leave the conference. That much is obvious. They also have to prove that there would be an incremental harm caused by them leaving now instead of after next year. Since the Big East has already allowed them to leave next year they have made it harder for themselves.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
WVU has already stated they'll play a Varsity in Big 12 and a JV in the Big East if they have too.

That was some fan's loopy idea I thought.

We need 10 conference teams per the Fox contract I thought. We need it for inventory. Fox can void if we don't have 10 conference teams for 2012.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The issue I see is that the Big East not only has to prove that harm would be done were WVU to leave the conference. That much is obvious. They also have to prove that there would be an incremental harm caused by them leaving now instead of after next year. Since the Big East has already allowed them to leave next year they have made it harder for themselves.

The harm is they would only have 7 conference members and possibly only 5 if WVU leaving sets the precedent for Syracuse and Pitt to leave early.

I think BCS/AQ states a conference must have 8 members.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
The harm is they would only have 7 conference members and possibly only 5 if WVU leaving sets the precedent for Syracuse and Pitt to leave early.I think BCS/AQ states a conference must have 8 members.

Actually they would have more than that. If i remember right , Boise St and friends are joining the big east next year, leaving them with plenty of teams.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Actually they would have more than that. If i remember right , Boise St and friends are joining the big east next year, leaving them with plenty of teams.

I don't think that is the case. At least the BE message boards don't indicate it is. Those other teams are joining for 2013 because the BE doesn't want to put their conferences in the same scheduling conflict for 2012. It is just too late in the year for teams to be jumping conferences.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

I don't think that is the case. At least the BE message boards don't indicate it is. Those other teams are joining for 2013 because the BE doesn't want to put their conferences in the same scheduling conflict for 2012. It is just too late in the year for teams to be jumping conferences.

I just googled it...there are 4 teams joining the BE for 2013. None for 2012. BE is in a big predicament if WVU gets out for 2012.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I think a cheap easy alternative may be something around the lines of inviting a cheap FCS school to be in the conference for 1 year to meet all requirement, maybe UNI? give them a couple million payout. Play 1 year in the XII then WVU will take their spot in 2013.

Sounds bad, and hard to do. But what else would we be left to do if its drug out to June, and ends up ruling in the Big Easts favor where we will have nearly 0 time to pick up a 4th non- conference opponent for all schools.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Just pay the BE a majority of that Mizzou/ATM buyout money and move forward. I do wonder if WV is forced to stay whether the B12 can get a waiver to allow two 1AA teams to count toward bowl eligibility.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
No need for any crazy ideas. WVU will pay their exit fee/fine and be in the B12. The Big East cannot force them to play in the Big East. Contracts are broken every day.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
No need for any crazy ideas. WVU will pay their exit fee/fine and be in the B12. The Big East cannot force them to play in the Big East. Contracts are broken every day.
The Big East TV deal would be crushed with only 5 members though. They will be sued by the TV stations. It really is alot stickier than just a pay out.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Would the B12 sue WVU if WVU were unable to play next year?? From what I understand, we've pretty much green lighted Mizzou to leave for the SEC...just negotiating departure fees. I don't think we can go back and try to hold them now.

We need 10 teams for the TV contract. What is backup plan if BE can hold WVU to their contract through an injunction ruling??
What happens if Fox and others refuse to pay their normal television fees because they offer fewer games as a 9 team league. Then what? Sue Missouri for causing misery because that is who caused the problem no matter what they say?

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
The Big East TV deal would be crushed with only 5 members though. They will be sued by the TV stations. It really is alot stickier than just a pay out.

Not really. They don't make anything from their tv contract anyway... They had their chance to sign a huge tv contract but they didn't. 20 million divided between the remaining teams would be about what they make total from their tv contract as is.

This is about the buyout and nothing else. I would be shocked if WVU wasn't playing football in the B12 next year.

Remember these schools already play 5 OOC games.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Not really. They don't make anything from their tv contract anyway... They had their chance to sign a huge tv contract but they didn't. 20 million divided between the remaining teams would be about what they make total from their tv contract as is.

This is about the buyout and nothing else. I would be shocked if WVU wasn't playing football in the B12 next year.

Remember these schools already play 5 OOC games.
this would make it over half their games non conference then. They would for sure lose their AQ status. This is what I think is making them hold onto WVU so much.