Will ISU make a Bowl Game? YES! Which One? LIBERTY BOWL 12/29

Will ISU make a Bowl Game (Final Record)?

• No (3-9)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (4-8)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No (5-7)

Votes: 127 30.8%
  • Yes (5-7)

Votes: 31 7.5%
  • Yes (6-6)

Votes: 189 45.9%
  • Yes (7-5)

Votes: 43 10.4%
  • Yes (8-4)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Yes (9-3)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I think the Liberty bowl would be fine as long as its not against Memphis. We've been down that road last time and don't need to again. If its someone like SMU, that would be kinda cool considering they are moving to the ACC next year.
I for one love that idea. yes it has happened before so I get the argument, but that game was awesome. the stadium was packed with a 50/50 split of fans. Depending on another opponent, the stadium may be half empty. only thing that sucked last time was that it ended up being really chilly and it was 11am kick, so tailgating was too short.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Ohio State was behind them both before the Big 10 CCG and then jumped them both after it.

I think it is a bit pollyanna to think that declaring one of the teams a sole champion would have made a shred of difference. If he had done that they would have come up with another excuse - hell they already had the "thirteenth data point" argument even though the difference between the teams' schedules was an additional buy game since the big 10 was only playing 8 conference games at the time while the Big 12 teams were playing 9. So a game at Navy or a home game against Kent State or Cincy was the difference? I would throw the home game against Virginia Tech in there but that was their loss...

Laughable.
OSU got in and TCU/BU were left out for the same reason: The names on the fronts of their jerseys.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I for one love that idea. yes it has happened before so I get the argument, but that game was awesome. the stadium was packed with a 50/50 split of fans. Depending on another opponent, the stadium may be half empty. only thing that sucked last time was that it ended up being really chilly and it was 11am kick, so tailgating was too short.
We did find a group of Tigers fans with a bus and ended up tailgating with them. Very welcoming. At the time we were kind of hoping we could get them up to JTS for a game so those guys could bring up their bus.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Some bowls starting to be set before Sunday. These 2 teams get the lucky spot.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Holy moly that was cold. It was a great turnout for both teams. Seeing that low flying Fed Ex plane circling was cool too. Great game, we won. Beale street after. Only real negative of that trip was watching the the basketball team get drilled by K State after.

Reactions: robahrens

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Holy moly that was cold. It was a great turnout for both teams. Seeing that low flying Fed Ex plane circling was cool too. Great game, we won. Beale street after. Only real negative of that trip was watching the the basketball team get drilled by K State after.
It was brutally cold at 8am for the tailgate, seemed to warm up significantly during the game though. I don't even remember the bball game. not even sure if we watched it.

cyworship

Jan 10, 2009
Omaha, NE
Actually, the Texas CFP and OU NY6 isn’t as far fetched as I initially thought.

Texas is 1.55-1 to make the CFP
Oklahoma is ranked 12 in the CFP Rankings

But Texas to make the CFP, it seems FSU has to lose which would bump Louisville above OU.

So at that point it would be will OU jump FSU or even Bama if Georgia wins easily (Auburn should have beaten Bama).

So our best scenario is for UT and OU to finish as high as possible.

Well, higher bowl that is….

If anyone sees errors or other scenarios, please oblige!
OU would likely need to jump all the way to #10 to make it in the NY6 and that would appear to be unattainable. Its possible the committee would give OU a slight boost for beating a conference champ if TX were to win but not sure that will be a two spot boost.

1. The G5 gets a team in NY6 which at the moment most assume will be Tulane.
2. Then the Orange bowl needs an ACC team.

So big 12s best chance at 2 teams in NY6 and ISUs moving up a bowl spot to Houston is an Okkie St win in a close game so TX only drops a couple spots. Otherwise sounding a lot like we may be walking in Memphis.

Reactions: danvillecyclone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I saw Louisiana was picked up to play JMU in a bowl.

I believe it was CBS Sports who had us playing them in the Armed Forces bowl

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm hoping that maybe we can get SMU instead of Memphis but Libery Bowl probably wants the ticket sales with Memphis.
Correct on both points. I have been to an SMU Bowl Game (Jan. 2012 Birmingham Bowl vs. Pittsburgh), and I enjoyed talking to the three fans. :) The Band wears nice blue blazers though. Think 2012 Liberty Bowl with half a stadium full of Cyclone fans and half a stadium with very few Tulsa fans. That being said, I would be overall happy with SMU in the Liberty Bowl. Historical Bowl, close to home against a team with Big Boy history (SWC) and heading to the (ACC).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another thing about possibly facing Memphis -- I like bowl matchups to be opponents ISU has not played in a bowl, at least in recent past. If we got A&M in Texas Bowl (if that's even a possiblity), that's a "repeat" but it dates to 1978 (Hall of Fame). Minnesota in the Whatever Bowl is fewer than 15 years, that wouldn't bother me too much.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron