wifi router/extender questions and help

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Just bought a new Surfboard modem and a Google Nest mesh wifi system with one additional point.

I get nearly full speed (90 MBPS+ from my 100 MBPS service) via wifi anywhere in my 1900 SF ranch style house.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I have a decent sized house with a huge addition so It's spread out corner to corner.

After buying several cheap "boosters" I installed a Linksys Envelop system a few years ago and have been happy with it. Great coverage inside and even on the patio. Another nice feature is it is easy to add on if you don't buy enough towers the first time.

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WHW0101/

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I had to unplug my Deco Mesh system this morning because my work’s network wasn’t recognizing it. Any ideas why?

So are you connected direct off your modem? Are you using a VPN to connect to your business network?

In my Deco App there are multiple "AntiVirus" settings: You could try toggling those on/off and see if that allows you to connect to your business network. There was an update at the beginning of April - did you install that?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I updated my firmware on my router, but still can't get my DST adapter to connect to my router.

How much does the google wifi system cost? I already have a google home and 2 google home mini devices so it might work better for those.

I'm a "get it at Best Buy, plug it in, and forget it" guy. Do I really need to "update my firmware?" If so, how? I didn't even know I had "firmware."

Snarky replies welcome too, as long as they are funny.

Reactions: Cycho1

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
So are you connected direct off your modem? Are you using a VPN to connect to your business network?

In my Deco App there are multiple "AntiVirus" settings: You could try toggling those on/off and see if that allows you to connect to your business network. There was an update at the beginning of April - did you install that?

Yeah. VPN connect. Says the firmware is all up to date, but I haven’t tried the antivirus settings. I’ll give that a shot this evening.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
In January I replaced my Mediacom modem/router with a Netgear CM1000 modem (Best Buy) and Netgear Orbi (Costco) mesh with 2 satellites and have been very happy with this system.
After several years of being a Mediacom customer, I became convinced that 90% of their problems were caused by the ****** equipment they provided. Like you, once I got rid of their modem and replaced with my own, all problems ceased.

Now I live in Comcast world. A lot of people don't like them but I've had nothing but positive experiences, again, with my own equipment.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Update: So i purchased another DST adapter on ebay for about $11. The adapter I purchased had the same issue as the one I already had. I called Netgear support and they wanted to charge me $89 to attempt to fix the issue. I declined the support contract.

Regarding the google wifi system, should I invest in the original Google Wifi with 3 points (1 as router and 2 additional points) or get the Google Nest Wifi with 2 points (1 as a router and the other as additional point)? They are about the same price.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Update: So i purchased another DST adapter on ebay for about $11. The adapter I purchased had the same issue as the one I already had. I called Netgear support and they wanted to charge me $89 to attempt to fix the issue. I declined the support contract.

Regarding the google wifi system, should I invest in the original Google Wifi with 3 points (1 as router and 2 additional points) or get the Google Nest Wifi with 2 points (1 as a router and the other as additional point)? They are about the same price.

It looks like the Google Nest Wifi is newer, 2nd gen version with higher possible speeds and range.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
If you are replacing a router -> get a mesh, it's where it's at. If you don't need crazy distance, the google ones are good. If you need extended range, i suggest the netgear orbi extended range one. It's what i have and it coverage my entire 3+ acre lot (get great coverage out in the country)

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It looks like the Google Nest Wifi is newer, 2nd gen version with higher possible speeds and range.

If you are replacing a router -> get a mesh, it's where it's at. If you don't need crazy distance, the google ones are good. If you need extended range, i suggest the netgear orbi extended range one. It's what i have and it coverage my entire 3+ acre lot (get great coverage out in the country)

My router crapped out over the weekend which was sweet timing... It was slim picking as far as routers go but fortunately I was able to secure the last Google Wifi mesh 3 point system in the DSM metro. My old unit was only a couple of years old but I have been blown away by the google wifi mesh setup. I'm hitting speeds in the farthest corners of my house that I was previously pulling in the same room as my older router.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm a "get it at Best Buy, plug it in, and forget it" guy. Do I really need to "update my firmware?" If so, how? I didn't even know I had "firmware."

Snarky replies welcome too, as long as they are funny.
Go to the router's manufacturer's website and lookup firmware updates. It should have instructions.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Did you have to add the outdoor extender to get your whole property covered?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Any possible boosts available (besides paying them a fortune) for those of us in the middle of nowhere using HughesNet?

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Go to the router's manufacturer's website and lookup firmware updates. It should have instructions.

I'll preface this by saying that firmware upgrades are worthwhile because they often fix security vulnerabilities and performance issues.
They are not a beginner's thing to do, but with a little research to boost confidence they're not a big deal. The potential is there for something to go wrong and then need to factory reset the router and then set it up again. The most likely cause of this would be if the device loses power during the actual process of writing the new firmware image to memory. This is not something that happens very often at all.

Some routers let you check for and upgrade directly from the web interface after logging in to it. Otherwise, yes, a trip to the manufacturer's site to search for support downloads of a firmware image would be next on the list to do. Either way, you'll almost certainly need to be able to log in to that web interface.
To do that you'll need to find your router's IP address. A fast way to do that, assuming a Windows machine is used, is to open command prompt (click Start, start typing "command prompt" and you should see it), in the black window that opens type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter, look for the "Default Gateway" value.
Most home routers will have a value such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but it could be lots of other potential addresses.

Open your web browser of choice and type in your default gateway in the address bar.
Usually you'll see a login prompt of some sort right away. You can guess admin and admin or admin and password (very common credentials to log in to home routers), check the back of your router for the login info, or Google your router info and "default password" to hopefully find what you need to successfully login.
Note - this is for the situation where you have your internet provider's device handing off the connection to your own router. Some folks will be in the situation where the ISP's device is the router as well and you will not have access without a support call to your ISP.

Once you're in the web interface you'll just have to click around to find where to check for or upgrade the firmware. It is sometimes in "Advanced" settings, "System", or somewhere seemingly random.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'll preface this by saying that firmware upgrades are worthwhile because they often fix security vulnerabilities and performance issues.
They are not a beginner's thing to do, but with a little research to boost confidence they're not a big deal. The potential is there for something to go wrong and then need to factory reset the router and then set it up again. The most likely cause of this would be if the device loses power during the actual process of writing the new firmware image to memory. This is not something that happens very often at all.

Some routers let you check for and upgrade directly from the web interface after logging in to it. Otherwise, yes, a trip to the manufacturer's site to search for support downloads of a firmware image would be next on the list to do. Either way, you'll almost certainly need to be able to log in to that web interface.
To do that you'll need to find your router's IP address. A fast way to do that, assuming a Windows machine is used, is to open command prompt (click Start, start typing "command prompt" and you should see it), in the black window that opens type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter, look for the "Default Gateway" value.
Most home routers will have a value such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but it could be lots of other potential addresses.

Open your web browser of choice and type in your default gateway in the address bar.
Usually you'll see a login prompt of some sort right away. You can guess admin and admin or admin and password (very common credentials to log in to home routers), check the back of your router for the login info, or Google your router info and "default password" to hopefully find what you need to successfully login.
Note - this is for the situation where you have your internet provider's device handing off the connection to your own router. Some folks will be in the situation where the ISP's device is the router as well and you will not have access without a support call to your ISP.

Once you're in the web interface you'll just have to click around to find where to check for or upgrade the firmware. It is sometimes in "Advanced" settings, "System", or somewhere seemingly random.
tl/dr - go to manufacturer's site and follow directions

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Im in the market to replace my home wifi router so would love to get some recommendations of mesh systems people have. Dont need the top of the line, just something practical and affordable for a 3 level home. Sounds like Google WiFi is a good one but just want to get more suggestions to research

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron