Why does Wally get a pass from most posters

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The guy loses 5 o his starting front 7, 3 to the nfl, and 2 in the secondary including a 3-4 year starter at corner. Couple that with an additional 3 guys on the dline 3 deep. And people are mad isu doesn't have a great defense? God forbid we have to reload. Some posters are so ******* stupid its shocking.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I thought the defense showed a **** load of improvement yesterday.

This offense and improvement will never be said together.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
The offense puts the defense in horrible situations all season. It's a miracle they haven't given up more points.

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
I agree the offense is beyond bad. If we arent getting stuffed at the line the QB is running for his life or the receivers are dropping passes. My problem is most are laying all are problems strictly on the offense. Time of possession is what everyone hangs their hat on. Saying the D is out there way too much but in most cases TOP is not that uneven and the D is giving up points right and left. These are short drives, long drives and everything in between. We may be able to throw a few good series together but I dont see the love. Yesterday we could have put ourselves in great position having TCU at 1st and ten at their 1 yard line. 74 yards later TCU has great field position. The D get a turnover but in our territory. How many games have we given up a long drive at the end of the game? I think Wally has done OK but I dont think he should get a pass.

1st fail - As others have posted, this thread has been done before.
2nd fail - You pick on the D coordinator after a game where we held the opponent to 21 points and our best showing in conference play.
3rd fail - Your name rhymes with ****.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Because he has proven many times over a very long career he is an e cel lent coach, he has earned that, and it can't be taken away, stupid thread

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I give Wally a pass because he has proven that the D can hold its own over the years. The offense has been bad for 5 years now and the D has allowed this team to get to bowl games in 3 of the 5 years of the Rhoads era.

The D did ok vs. TCU but we need to remember TCU has a horrible offense like ISU. D did ok yesterday but let's not say they took giant leaps forward. We need to realize we played against a team that three or four weeks ago demoted their play caller at half time. (vs okie St).

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
For the last time, Wally has proven he is capable of having a good defense. This year the defense is down and has shown some promise from time to time. He's had one bad year as DC. He needs to be held accountable, but isn't at the point where replacing him should be part of the conversation.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The defense in the last few years had great LBs in Knott and Klein and DBs which kept us in every game. The offense this year has honestly been pretty comparable to last years except the defense was able to make up for our ****** offense last year. This year we are very young and its showing when our D gets tired from being on the field so much when our offense goes 3 and out on 3/4 of our possessions. Wally is an excellent DC and when he retires I think a lot of us will be missing him.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If it makes OP feel better, the rumor is pretty strong that Wally is retiring at the end of the year.
I would retire too if Mess was on the other side. Maybe M<ess can take over the defense next year.

Ten punts, one real offensive fieldgoal. That stinks. Worse than KU offense.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is the thread I said would happen even though our defense played well and the offense only truly scored 3 points on a long field goal. Can we ban the posters who want to put it equally on defensive problems?

I get sooooooooooo sick of this living in Chicago. There's a macho syndrome that a certain type blames everything on the defense no matter what. For years the Cubs had elite pitching and no offense...majority of macho Chicago fans would blame pitching for giving up 1-3 runs in a losing game. Ditto with the Bears, elite defense for years and years, one of the worst offenses in the NFL...most Chicago fans blaming D after every loss, lots of them loved blaming one of the best linebackers in history for having a great game while he got no offense. ISU fans aren't as bad about it, but it is annoying as &*&#.

Our defensive players improve and develop. If you can't put the obvious pieces together to form a comparison from there, you should just be a lurker and not post.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Because he has proven many times over a very long career he is an e cel lent coach, he has earned that, and it can't be taken away, stupid thread

The OP has been chastised enough. This thread is now a discussion about the meaning of the quoted post. Why did cyatheart choose to do what he did with the word "excellent," and what is the significance of it?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
In addition to what has been mentioned already, I've seen the defense actually improve this year. Not so much with the offense. When the defense is fresh and isn't gassed from all of the 3 and outs from the offense, they've been decent. It was 10-0 for a quarter and a half against K-State and the defense did plenty to win the TCU game.

We knew the D was green and the offense would have to pick up the slack this year for once. It obviously hasn't happened.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I agree the offense is beyond bad. If we arent getting stuffed at the line the QB is running for his life or the receivers are dropping passes. My problem is most are laying all are problems strictly on the offense. Time of possession is what everyone hangs their hat on. Saying the D is out there way too much but in most cases TOP is not that uneven and the D is giving up points right and left. These are short drives, long drives and everything in between. We may be able to throw a few good series together but I dont see the love. Yesterday we could have put ourselves in great position having TCU at 1st and ten at their 1 yard line. 74 yards later TCU has great field position. The D get a turnover but in our territory. How many games have we given up a long drive at the end of the game? I think Wally has done OK but I dont think he should get a pass.

Well the time of possession hasn't even been 30+ and the offense has remained at or near the bottom of the Big 12 in scoring, I think the DC is maybe one of the last people to blame behind the OC and HC. It felt like the defense was out on the field a lot last year and the TOP was 27:16 or last in the Big 12. The TOP is currently better than it has been, but that might be a product of some of the teams having a quicker offense than last year. We certainly aren't scoring anymore than last year. KSU which we can agree is a ball control team has the ball 32+ minutes a game. So, I think there is a little more disparity on TOP than you might think.

The other thing is that we knew there was some inexperience on the defense, but when they are on the field playing their risk of injury increases. When a player goes go down with an injury the next guy in probably does not have as much experience and/or coaching as the starter. If the injury is serious and the starter is out for several games then we lose some of the cohesion of the defense.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Well the time of possession hasn't even been 30+ and the offense has remained at or near the bottom of the Big 12 in scoring, I think the DC is maybe one of the last people to blame behind the OC and HC. It felt like the defense was out on the field a lot last year and the TOP was 27:16 or last in the Big 12. The TOP is currently better than it has been, but that might be a product of some of the teams having a quicker offense than last year. We certainly aren't scoring anymore than last year. KSU which we can agree is a ball control team has the ball 32+ minutes a game. So, I think there is a little more disparity on TOP than you might think.

The other thing is that we knew there was some inexperience on the defense, but when they are on the field playing their risk of injury increases. When a player goes go down with an injury the next guy in probably does not have as much experience and/or coaching as the starter. If the injury is serious and the starter is out for several games then we lose some of the cohesion of the defense.

Thanks for the reply. It only took 3 pages to get an intelligent response besides whining for asking a question. The one thing that gets me is everyone talks about the D being gassed but how many times do we give up big drives at the beginning of each half? I think Wally has done a good job but it gets exasperating when we cant put together a D stand when we absolutely have to have one. Also, with all the injuries we have on the O side wouldnt your response work for them also? I am not saying I think Mess has done a good job and I dont think he should come back but you cant say give the D a break because of injuries and not say the O has some of the same problems. I think our biggest problem, and yes I know it has been said before, is quality of depth. Our "next man in" is not necessarily ready for PT.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Thanks for the reply. It only took 3 pages to get an intelligent response besides whining for asking a question. The one thing that gets me is everyone talks about the D being gassed but how many times do we give up big drives at the beginning of each half? I think Wally has done a good job but it gets exasperating when we cant put together a D stand when we absolutely have to have one. Also, with all the injuries we have on the O side wouldnt your response work for them also? I am not saying I think Mess has done a good job and I dont think he should come back but you cant say give the D a break because of injuries and not say the O has some of the same problems. I think our biggest problem, and yes I know it has been said before, is quality of depth. Our "next man in" is not necessarily ready for PT.

You want intelligent replies? Most people get tired after discussing the first time. Or the second. Or third. Or fourth...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Couldn't have said it better myself. The defense in the last few years had great LBs in Knott and Klein and DBs which kept us in every game. The offense this year has honestly been pretty comparable to last years except the defense was able to make up for our ****** offense last year. This year we are very young and its showing when our D gets tired from being on the field so much when our offense goes 3 and out on 3/4 of our possessions. Wally is an excellent DC and when he retires I think a lot of us will be missing him.

Not to mention he has managed to do it without the most critical factor for a defense to be successfull - ability to get pressure from your front 4. If we ever actually pull in some good DL recruits or develop a DL that can rush the passer we'll be fine. The alarming thing as that there is nothing to indicate that will happen anytime soon. Then again, great players up front on D are a rare commodity.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
He has proven to be capable at his job. Heck, the defense has sustained quite a few injuries as well yet they played pretty darn good saturday and they also played pretty well at K-State for awhile.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron