Where were you when it happened?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I was 6 so probably on the couch. Outside of some Troy Davis highlights I don't really have any memories of pre-Seneca ISU football.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
I was in the South end zone with my dad, an elder brother and, his brother-in-law...at the time I didn't realize how special that day really was.

We missed the opening kickoff, the blocked punt and, first touchdown due to an accident on 1-80 but got in the stadium midway through the first quarter.

At the start of the third quarter, my dad looked at me and said 'gee, I hope they don't make some sort of un-godly comeback, and all of this was for naught'.

As the game ended, we started making our way down towards the exit and my dad grabbed my shirt and said, 'come on, were going to rush the field with the rest of 'em!' We got held up briefly by the event staff who tried to turn us around. Not to be deterred, we went east, down the end zone and snuck onto the field anyway. I had picked up a piece of the turf and was going to take it home and re-plant, but my dad kind of frowned on me doing that. Come to find out that the people who parked next to us had indeed grabbed some turf and were quite proud of that...lol

I have this game on vhs and am going to get it copied to dvd (shhhh...don't tell anyone) - courtesy of my sister who couldn't make it to the game and pull it out now and again to re-live that magic.

Since my dad's passing last June, the games that we attended I have on either dvd or vhs which hold some really awesome memories. Up to about a month before he passed, he teased me almost every time we talked, of course about not taking that grass from the field.

Last edited:

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Had no expectations, was at home and turned on the TV just in time to see us score a TD I believe on a blocked punt(?). Watched the rest of the Darren Davis show with glee in my heart.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
At that point in my fandom I was not even listening/watching ISU/Iowa football games anymore. My nut cup had been crushed flat too many years.

I think I heard the results several hours after the game from my younger brother. I was really very very surprised - as we'd lost the week before to TCU - which was worse then than it sounds now. And, of course, I rushed out to buy a Sunday Register and QC Times the next morning.

Surprised nobody yet has mentioned the Mike Hlas column in the Gazette from that morning. Where he literally said that Iowa State would never ever win a football game against Iowa again. Imagine writing that and having it published on the exact day it's proven wrong so decisively. Delicious!

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
At that point in my fandom I was not even listening/watching ISU/Iowa football games anymore. My nut cup had been crushed flat too many years.

I think I heard the results several hours after the game from my younger brother. I was really very very surprised - as we'd lost the week before to TCU - which was worse then than it sounds now. And, of course, I rushed out to buy a Sunday Register and QC Times the next morning.

Surprised nobody yet has mentioned the Mike Hlas column in the Gazette from that morning. Where he literally said that Iowa State would never ever win a football game against Iowa again. Imagine writing that and having it published on the exact day it's proven wrong so decisively. Delicious!
I'd love to see the follow-up to that column

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was covering the game for KCRG on that day. Mike Hlas had written an article for the Saturday morning Gazette. In the article, he wrote something about how ISU could only beat Iowa in an episode of Fantasy Island. After the game, as we were waiting for McCarney in the pink locker room, I saw Hlas and joked with him, "The plane, boss! The plane!" He smirked. It was glorious.

Edit....Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. I guess this article was mentioned already.

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
I was covering the game for KCRG on that day. Mike Hlas had written an article for the Saturday morning Gazette. In the article, he wrote something about how ISU could only beat Iowa in an episode of Fantasy Island. After the game, as we were waiting for McCarney in the pink locker room, I saw Hlas and joked with him, "The plane, boss! The plane!" He smirked. It was glorious.

Edit....Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. I guess this article was mentioned already.
Fun story, and referencing the article again gave your story more context. Two thumbs up!

Reactions: CRCySpy

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Reading through this thread brought back memories of our move to Iowa City in ‘99. I’m from out of state and wasn’t really familiar with college football… but that town was so demoralized about their team that I didn’t even realize they had a sizable football fanbase until 2001 when Ferentz started getting things back together. I originally thought that Iowa City had a minor league football team much in the same way that my hometown had a minor league baseball team — interesting games that were fun to go every so often but obviously not the “real deal” like an MLB or NFL game would be.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Notable detail: '98 CyHawk game was the third-largest margin of victory for Iowa State in the modern series. Top two: 1978 (31) and 2005 (20).

Somewhat humbling/depressing, but interesting that it came after the 15-year drought.

Also was the biggest point-swing in back-to-back seasons in the rivalry's history: 61 points. In '97, Iowa won, 63-20.