What is the best way to navigate this board?

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I've been a member here for years, but seldom visited the site. I found it too overwhelming with the high activity and some threads being hundreds of pages deep. But I'm leaving the more modest confines of CycloneReport where there was a single board with an activity level low enough you can read or at least scan every post. Not so on this site.

So how do folks deal with the mass of posts on this site? Do you say go to the specific board of interest and just dwell on topics there?

I've tried just checking out recent posts, but that is kind of all over the place. I'm looking for a plan of attack.

When done reading a thread, I'd also like to know the best way to jump back to the recent posts or the specific message board. On CycloneReport there is a Return to Message button, which take you back to the message list and mark the open thread as read. Using the back button doesn't mark the thread as read. I think that aspect is similar on this board, but there is no Return to Message List button. It seems it takes multiple clicks to get back to the list. So how do folks navigate such that threads are marked as read when you leave them?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Ill give some pointers.

1) Opt out of In State Rivals. That will save 75% of spam in one swing.

2) If you hate politics, opt out of The Cave. This will reduce 20% of spam.

3) if you like Prohm, you’ll have to wade the negativity to find what you want. If you hate Prohm, then you’ll be ok. If you enjoy Prohm vs. Hoiberg debates, you came to the right website.

4) If you think Campbell can recruit, avoid the football threads.

5) If you don’t want to hear about politics, ignore the iowa covid thread.

6) if you hate gaming, you’ll have to deal with the mafia threads.

7) Enjoy your CF experience.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I've been a member here for years, but seldom visited the site. I found it too overwhelming with the high activity and some threads being hundreds of pages deep. But I'm leaving the more modest confines of CycloneReport where there was a single board with an activity level low enough you can read or at least scan every post. Not so on this site.

So how do folks deal with the mass of posts on this site? Do you say go to the specific board of interest and just dwell on topics there?

I've tried just checking out recent posts, but that is kind of all over the place. I'm looking for a plan of attack.

When done reading a thread, I'd also like to know the best way to jump back to the recent posts or the specific message board. On CycloneReport there is a Return to Message button, which take you back to the message list and mark the open thread as read. Using the back button doesn't mark the thread as read. I think that aspect is similar on this board, but there is no Return to Message List button. It seems it takes multiple clicks to get back to the list. So how do folks navigate such that threads are marked as read when you leave them?
I click New Posts. Hides threads I’ve read and shows threads again when there is a new post.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
HollowWaterloggedAnhinga-size_restricted.gif

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ill give some pointers.

1) Opt out of In State Rivals. That will save 75% of spam in one swing.

2) If you hate politics, opt out of The Cave. This will reduce 20% of spam.

3) if you like Prohm, you’ll have to wade the negativity to find what you want. If you hate Prohm, then you’ll be ok. If you enjoy Prohm vs. Hoiberg debates, you came to the right website.

4) If you think Campbell can recruit, avoid the football threads.

5) If you don’t want to hear about politics, ignore the iowa covid thread.

6) if you hate gaming, you’ll have to deal with the mafia threads.

7) Enjoy your CF experience.

Whoa In state rivals is amazing.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
with very thick skin and a full bottle of Jack Daniels

THIS.

There are a handful of posters who rule the boards and think their crap is ice cream and there aren't enough spoons to go around.

It can be real toxic if you're not of the liberal persuasion.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I just hit "Forums" but have opted out of the Cave.

I will occasionally look at what looks like an interesting In State Rivals post, but mostly during H8 week. Or if I'm all out of other reading stuff.

I rarely listen to podcasts. I don't have the patience and generally they won't keep my interest.

I do have Football, Basketball, and Off Topic under watched forums and will sometimes click on those to see what fell off the primary Forums page.

If I'm on my phone I don't even sign in. Just use the app and look at recent posts

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Putting a few knuckleheads and trolls on your "Ignore" list makes the site much more enjoyable. In this way, their posts only show up when someone replies to them. Please don't reply to knuckleheads and trolls.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

You seem like someone who would appreciate the Premium Forum. Far fewer posts. Much higher average quality of post. CW's weekly updates help you pick up important news that hasn't yet made it in the public conversation. You have to pay for it, but it is worth it.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Watch out for people with similar user names, it's a trap. I can never remember which people start with Cy and which people start with Cy.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
New post seems to be the best suggestion regarding navigation. Many of the others were regarding content which wasn't really what I was looking for.

I've been reading message boards since the birth of the public Internet, before any Cyclone specific boards were available. My Internet "browsing" dates back prior to Mosaic when my Internet connection was over a 1200 baud modem. I had to dial into work, login to an Internet server, FTP to a University of Kansas computer where I could run a program called Links. With Links I would navigate to NANDO (Charlotte News and Observer). NANDO had extensive coverage of sports. I used to amaze my friends by printing out the box score and game story shortly after Hoiberg, Michalik and Meyer dispatched another opponent. Those were the bad old days. Mosaic changed everything.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
When you open a thread you've already read earlier, look at the box above the top post. It will give you options to jump to a certain page or "Go to first unread" which will take to the spot in that thread where you quit reading last time.

That will save you scrolling through pages you've already looked at. Other than that the best advice I can give you is don't feed the KU or KSU trolls.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
When you open a thread you've already read earlier, look at the box above the top post. It will give you options to jump to a certain page or "Go to first unread" which will take to the spot in that thread where you quit reading last time.

That will save you scrolling through pages you've already looked at. Other than that the best advice I can give you is don't feed the KU or KSU trolls.
Thanks. I understand and have used that and have used those controls but it just wasn't enough.

The New Posts suggestion was a good one, but I have found using the Watched Forums seems to get me where I want to be. I've marked the FB, MBB, WBB, VB, WR and General Discussion forums. Watching those forums seems to be what I was looking for to tame this monster. I also use Watch Threads to pick up topics of interest on the other forums.

Last edited:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Thanks. I understand and have used that and have used those controls but it just wasn't enough.

The New Posts suggestion was a good one, but I have found using the Watched Forums seems to get me where I want to be. I've marked the FB, MBB, WBB, VB, WR and General Topics boards. Watching those forums seems to be what I was looking for to tame this monster. I also use Watch Threads to pick up topics of interest on the other forums.

One of the tricks I use for quickly getting to the New Posts page without scrolling is I made a bookmark pointing to the "New Posts" page. Put it in the upper left of my bookmarks bar in Chrome, and that's how I get to CF.

URL for that is www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/index.php?find-new/posts

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron