What is an RTC?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Been many years since I've paid attention to college wrestling (that has just changed), many things seem to be different. Would someone mind explaining what is an RTC, and how it will impact iSU wrestling? Thanks!

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
It is a Freestyle Regional Training Center. For those continuing their career after their collegiate eligibility is used up.

These are people training on a national level. These positions are usually paid and add to the wrestling room, giving full-time international level wrestlers an opportunity to coach and wrestle high quality collegiate wrestlers.

Buf and Judo can give much more information, but that is just a brief explanation.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We have the Cyclone Wrestling Club and I think the RTC would be a tier above that. Maybe along the lines of Sunkist or Titan Mercury. I am not 100% sure. Maybe he isn't fully aware of CWC yet.

http://cyclonewrestlingclub.org/

Talking with a CWC member, we are going to have to earn money to get it where the top level clubs are. I started out as a $50 member and added a little every year as I met more members and started going to socials and meeting the wrestlers. Anything helps

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We have the Cyclone Wrestling Club and I think the RTC would be a tier above that. Maybe along the lines of Sunkist or Titan Mercury. I am not 100% sure. Maybe he isn't fully aware of CWC yet.

http://cyclonewrestlingclub.org/

Talking with a CWC member, we are going to have to earn money to get it where the top level clubs are. I started out as a $50 member and added a little every year as I met more members and started going to socials and meeting the wrestlers. Anything helps

Yeah, I'd always assumed the CWC was an RTC already. But this explains why the CWC guys will often compete in Titan Mercury or Sunkist Kids singlets. I've pointed out before, and this is no offense intended to the CWC guys, but we don't have the type of guys that the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, Litany Lion Wrestling Club, or others have. And that just goes to funding. They have the money to get those guys. We don't. Which is something I've used to point out as why the landscape is so different than people assume it is and Dresser kind of made the same comment. Elite guys have orders of magnitude more options than they did a decade ago and while some schools have upped the ante, we haven't.

The real thing to think about with an RTC though is that it allows you to bring in top level senior athletes that do two big things
-They help develop and mentor the college kids. If you can work out with say, Jake Varner every day you're gonna get better. They're elite workout partners who aren't on the same competition cycle as everyone else so they can help make guys better.
-They have big names that you can use with recruiting "Come to Penn State, we have Varner and the Magic Man!" Stuff like that. You can tell recruits they're going to be able to regularly work out with the best wrestlers in the world who are also their idols.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Yeah, I'd always assumed the CWC was an RTC already. But this explains why the CWC guys will often compete in Titan Mercury or Sunkist Kids singlets. I've pointed out before, and this is no offense intended to the CWC guys, but we don't have the type of guys that the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, Litany Lion Wrestling Club, or others have. And that just goes to funding. They have the money to get those guys. We don't. Which is something I've used to point out as why the landscape is so different than people assume it is and Dresser kind of made the same comment. Elite guys have orders of magnitude more options than they did a decade ago and while some schools have upped the ante, we haven't.

The real thing to think about with an RTC though is that it allows you to bring in top level senior athletes that do two big things
-They help develop and mentor the college kids. If you can work out with say, Jake Varner every day you're gonna get better. They're elite workout partners who aren't on the same competition cycle as everyone else so they can help make guys better.
-They have big names that you can use with recruiting "Come to Penn State, we have Varner and the Magic Man!" Stuff like that. You can tell recruits they're going to be able to regularly work out with the best wrestlers in the world who are also their idols.

Okay, this makes more sense. Didn't realize CWC wasn't a Regional Training Center.

In answering one of the questions, Dresser mentioned wanting to get started on it right away. Said something regarding filing a 501c, which would indicate a new entitiy being formed.

Guess this brings up the question - does the CWC fold into this new RTC? I'm sure this is all figured out already, just curious how it all works.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

...and maybe just as important is our wrestlers see and understand the LIFESTYLE these elite athletes lead and what it takes to get to that level!

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
How many RTCs are there, and who has them? I would guess psu, osu, eiu at least each have one?

Update: Just googled Regional Training Centers wrestling. Looks like we better get to it, fast. I count 33 RTCs nationally, including three in Iowa: uni, eiu, and at Storm Lake.

BLUE & GOLD RTC (Hempstead, NY)
BUFFALO VALLEY REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Lewisburg, PA)
BULLS WRESTLING CLUB RTC (Amherst, NY)
CALIFORNIA REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Stanford, CA)
CAMEL WRESTLING CLUB RTC (Buies Creek, NC)

CAVALIER WRESTLING CLUB RTC (Charlottesville, VA)
CLARION RTC (Clarion, PA)
COWBOY WRESTLING CLUB RTC (Stillwater, OK)
FINGER LAKES WRESTLING CLUB RTC (Ithaca, NY)
GREENSBORO RTC (Greensboro, NC)

HAWKEYE REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Iowa City, IA)
LEGENDS OF GOLD (Beresford, SD)
MICHIGAN REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Ann Arbor, MI)
MINNESOTA REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Minneapolis, MN)
MOUNTAINEER REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Morgantown, WV)

NAVY-MARINE CORPS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Annapolis, MD)
NEBRASKA WRESTLING TRAINING CENTER (Lincoln, NE)
NEW JERSEY REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (New Brunswick, NJ)
NITTANY LION WRESTLING CLUB (University Park, PA)
NORTHERN COLORADO REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Greeley, CO)

NORTHERN ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (DeKalb, IL)
NORTHWEST IOWA REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Storm Lake, IA)
OKC RTC (Oklahoma City, OK)
PANTHER WRESTLING CLUB RTC (Cedar Falls, IA)
SOUTHEAST REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Winter Park, FL)

SUNKIST KIDS RTC (Tempe, AZ)
PRINCETON REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Princeton, NJ)
TAR HEEL WRESTLING CLUB (Chapel Hill, NC)
TERRAPIN WRESTLING CLUB (College Park, MD)
VALLEY REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Fresno, CA)

VIRGINIA BEACH RTC (Norfolk, VA)
WISCONSIN REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Madison, WI)
WOLFPACK REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER (Raleigh, NC)

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm assuming the difference between the current CWC and it being an RTC is purely paperwork related. Probably made sense at one time but doesn't anymore.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My understanding is USA Wrestling has criteria for a club to be considered RTC. I think Dresser may be getting bad or incorrect information because CWC is considered a RTC. Actually, the Paulson recently tweeted out regarding CWC RTC athletes (Teske, Coleman and Leisure). CWC raises money for RTC post-grad athletes, volunteer coaches (Angel), RTC coach (Trent) as well as traveling funds for the post-grad athletes. Some major money is going to need to raised quickly to fund any new post-grads.

The other possibility is that Dresser was talking about building a stand-a-lone facility as right now CWC has to rent the room for RTC athletes to work out. I doubt this is what he meant but we could dream.

Just saw previous post so technically CWC is not RTC because I believe we only have 2 or 3 athletes that meet their criteria not the necessary 4 which is probably what Dresser was referring to.

• Informative
Reactions: buf87

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My understanding is USA Wrestling has criteria for a club to be considered RTC. I think Dresser may be getting bad or incorrect information because CWC is considered a RTC. Actually, the Paulson recently tweeted out regarding CWC RTC athletes (Teske, Coleman and Leisure). CWC raises money for RTC post-grad athletes, volunteer coaches (Angel), RTC coach (Trent) as well as traveling funds for the post-grad athletes. Some major money is going to need to raised quickly to fund any new post-grads.

The other possibility is that Dresser was talking about building a stand-a-lone facility as right now CWC has to rent the room for RTC athletes to work out. I doubt this is what he meant but we could dream.

Just saw previous post so technically CWC is not RTC because I believe we only have 2 or 3 athletes that meet their criteria not the necessary 4 which is probably what Dresser was referring to.

So all the funding for these (CWC, RTCs) come from outside sources? We need facilities, we need non-college athletes, we need coaches, etc... and all that is funded outside the university?

New question - can someone explain wrestling scholarships? How is equivalency determined? How do they allocate?

Thanks in advance...

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So all the funding for these (CWC, RTCs) come from outside sources? We need facilities, we need non-college athletes, we need coaches, etc... and all that is funded outside the university?

New question - can someone explain wrestling scholarships? How is equivalency determined? How do they allocate?

Thanks in advance...
9.9 scholarships. We are fully funded, mean it can be 9.9 in state or out of state tuitions.
Some D1 schools have less than 9.9 and some are limited to in state money.
Scholarships can be allocated at any rate. 100% rides are uncommon, which means 1 guy use 1.0 of the 9.9

CWC is privately fund and no Iowa State money is used.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

9.9 scholarships, to be divided among the entire team. Almost nobody gets a full ride. Out-of-state guys usually take a higher percentage because the tuition is so much higher.

In terms of actual tuition dollars (at ISU), a 1.0 out-of-state scholarship would be roughly the same as 2.9 in-state scholarships. Coaches have to put the puzzle together each year, and many guys will change percentages as their careers go on.

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
I think some people get hung up on the term "RTC" kind of like "limited edition". It's basically a buzz word used today to add a sense of organization and credibility created by USA Wrestling. The term RTC is generally interchangeable with Wrestling Club, but is the equivalent of adding ESQ to the end of a name in an attempt to add prestige.

By strict definition, you could have three Olympic Gold Medalist training in a facility and not be considered an RTC , conversely if you had four kids who placed in the top four of the state tournament you qualify as an RTC as per USA Wrestling criteria:

3. Have a minimum of four Established National Team Contenders who recognize the club as their Primary Training Site. An Established National Team Contender shall be considered a wrestler who meets at least one of the following competitive accomplishments within the last four calendar years:
a. Won at least one match at a USAW World or Olympic Team Trials
b. Placed top 8 at USAW Senior Open Championships
c. Placed top 8 at USAW University National Championship
d. Placed top 8 at FILA Junior National Championship
e. Placed top 8 at USAW Junior National Championship
f. Placed top 8 at USAW Cadet National Championship
g. Placed top 4 in the High School State Championship
h. Placed top 4 at the Prep National Championships
i. Placed top 4 at USAW State Junior freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
j. Placed top 4 at USAW State Cadet freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships

As long as the other basically administrative criteria is met you can call your self an RTC.

They also appear to be fluid by the strict definition and I wonder how much checking goes on to insure eligibility and credibility. You could have four athletes who meet the criteria for and be an RTC ,and then if one leaves, boom, not an RTC. Just by trying to find the roster of Olympic caliber athletes on some of these so called RTC's and you may understand my lack of concern over if the Cyclone Wrestling Club is called one or not.

That being said, all wrestling clubs are the backbone of our country's hope for Olympic Gold. I'm positive what Coach Dresser stated in his press conference is that he wants the Cyclone Wrestling Club, RTC or not, to be the place where the best wrestlers in the nation, especially Cyclones (current and former), want to train for their Olympic dreams. It's very important for our athletes, the program, boosters, and fan base. Even if we only have three athletes bring home Olympic medals and are still not an RTC, I'm good.

If you haven't joined the Cyclone Wrestling Club, please do so today!!

• Winner
Reactions: buf87 and Judoka

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron