What do you think the Big XII's bowl record will be?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I hate to sound like one of those annoying Iowa Trolls, but that's what everyone thought last year when EIU lost their starting running back for the bowl game.
Last years Iowa team severely underperformed and lost a lot of close games in the regular season. When you think about it that team really should have ended up in a BCS bowl with the talent they had. This years Iowa team is just not that good.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
8-0 with a couple of routs.

My rout picks:

Baylor wins big!
Okie State wins big!
Texas wins big!

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
Last years Iowa team severely underperformed and lost a lot of close games in the regular season. When you think about it that team really should have ended up in a BCS bowl with the talent they had. This years Iowa team is just not that good.

This and the fact that last year their backup RB wasn't also suspended. Last year Iowa had already played some without Robinson, but this year they have not played without Coker. Also, Coker > the other A-rob IMO.

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
KSU over Arkansas is my upset pick. KSU has surpassed all expectations this year and Arkansas struggled with Ole Miss IIRC.

H

HGPuck

Always a good sign for a conference when the lowest predictions doubters can come up with is .500. That's the lowest I've run across by sites from other conferences, SEC and BIG mainly. I would say the over/under is probably 6-2 for the conference. Besides our game, what I really want to see is OSU throttle Stanford.

Also, I'm always surprised with all the love the SEC gets, even on here. Frankly the bottom 7 teams in that conference aren't that good, which makes the top teams look better. That's relatively speaking of course and only comparing them to the Big 12. The bottom half of the SEC would probably fair pretty well against the BIG, Pac 12, ACC, and Big East. But there isn't much question the hardest schedule you could have played this year was a Big 12 schedule. KSU went 10-2 against that. I know they won a ton of close games and in reality should probably be 8-4 or 9-3, but they still aren't getting the credit they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011

Also, I'm always surprised with all the love the SEC gets, even on here. Frankly the bottom 7 teams in that conference aren't that good, which makes the top teams look better. That's relatively speaking of course and only comparing them to the Big 12. The bottom half of the SEC would probably fair pretty well against the BIG, Pac 12, ACC, and Big East. But there isn't much question the hardest schedule you could have played this year was a Big 12 schedule. KSU went 10-2 against that. I know they won a ton of close games and in reality should probably be 8-4 or 9-3, but they still aren't getting the credit they deserve.

I wish they slotted bowls with conference finish. Then we'd know which conference is stronger. Since the SEC has 12 teams to the B12's ten, let's throw out the top teams (LSU, OKSt.) and the bottom (Ole Miss, KU) and just compare the middle from best to worst finishers. Who would win?

Alabama vs. K-State - Please. (SEC)
Georgia vs. Oklahoma - The way OU finished the year, I'd say UGA. (SEC)
Arkansas vs. Baylor - First one to 70 pts. wins (push)
S. Carolina vs. Mizzou - Am I a homer if I say push? (SEC)
Auburn vs. Texas - Auburn didn't really beat anybody this year (B12)
Florida vs. TAMU - Aggies would win the first half (SEC)
Miss St. vs. ISU - This might actually be an interesting game...MSU hasn't beaten anybody. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (B12)
Vandy vs. TTech - Meh. (push)
There's a definite drop-off for the SEC after Game #4, but that's still enough to take the series from the Big 12 (unless every push is a B12 win)

Feel free to tear it apart...some of these slots are essentially ties, so I just went with what felt right. Sue me.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I wish they slotted bowls with conference finish. Then we'd know which conference is stronger. Since the SEC has 12 teams to the B12's ten, let's throw out the top teams (LSU, OKSt.) and the bottom (Ole Miss, KU) and just compare the middle from best to worst finishers. Who would win?
Miss St. vs. ISU - This might actually be an interesting game...MSU hasn't beaten anybody. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (B12)
There's a definite drop-off for the SEC after Game #4, but that's still enough to take the series from the Big 12 (unless every push is a B12 win)

Feel free to tear it apart...some of these slots are essentially ties, so I just went with what felt right. Sue me.

Did you miss this turd? Georgia Bulldogs vs. LSU Tigers - Recap - December 03, 2011 - ESPN

UGA hardly finished the season strong. The only team that is currently ranked that they played other than LSU (see above) were USCar (lost at home) and BSU (lost at home).

OU lost to the 16th ranked team on the road on a last minute TD pass by the eventual Heisman winner and to the 3rd ranked team in the country that many believe should be playing in the title game (also on the road). They also beat two teams currently in the top 25 (FSU#25, KSU#10). Sure it wasn't the NC season OU had hoped for, but it's not a disaster.

Since I didn't have to go past your second pick to spot glaring gaps in logic, I won't even bother with the rest.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Pretty easy to tear apart since you also threw out 1-7 Tennessee and 2-6 Kentucky. :skeptical:

So in your scenario you throw out the top 1 and bottom 1 Big 12 team and then throw out the top 1 and bottom 3 SEC teams. How do matchups from that prove anything???

Last edited:

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines

I hate to say it but didn't A&M nearly beat Arkansas earlier in the season? I know it doesn't mean much, but outside of the Cotton Bowl we don't really have anything else to use as a measuring stick.

It would be interesting though to see how the conferences stack up. And this is a year in which Texas and OU are down a bit.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Pretty easy to tear apart since you also threw out 1-7 Tennessee and 2-6 Kentucky. :skeptical:

So in your scenario you throw out the top 1 and bottom 1 Big 12 team and then throw out the top 1 and bottom 3 SEC teams. How do matchups from that prove anything???

I ran out of teams. You want me to drag back Nebraska and Colorado and plug them in? Or maybe we throw in WVU and TCU right now...I'm sure their Big East and MWC conference schedules are comparable.

If you can find a set of matchups that somehow favors the Big 12, I'd love to see it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I ran out of teams. You want me to drag back Nebraska and Colorado and plug them in? Or maybe we throw in WVU and TCU right now...I'm sure their Big East and MWC conference schedules are comparable.

If you can find a set of matchups that somehow favors the Big 12, I'd love to see it.

Well starting off with a flawed premise for analysis isn't a good way to make your point. If you want some semblance of a fair analysis why not just throw out the top and bottom team in the SEC and compare the other 20 teams if you feel the need to compare team to team? Why do you feel the need to throw any teams out of the Big 12? You didn't seem to use any logic whatsoever in putting that together.

H

HGPuck

I like Sagarin ratings, in my experience seems to be the best 'non-biased' rankings for every team top to bottom. The most fair way to compare the conferences would seem to be to take out the 6 & 7 teams in the SEC. So match-ups would be (with Sagarin overall ratings):

Big 12 v. SEC
OSU(3) LSU(1)
Okla(4) Bama(2)
A&M(11) Ark(9)
Baylor(12) S. Car(15)
KSU(14) Georgia(18)
MU(16) Vandy(36)
Texas(17) Auburn(45)
ISU(33) Tenn(53)
Tech(52) Kentucky(87)
Kansas(90) Ole Miss(112)

I would love to see more big conference head to head match-ups. I think thats one of the big problems now is we just don't get to see how the conferences really match up and compare. By far my biggest complaint about the national championship game. Even if you don't think they are the two best teams it should have been the Big 12 champion v. the SEC champion this year given the teams involved.

Looking at comparing the conferences another way is Sagarin has a central mean for the Big 12 of 84.28 v. 79.64 for the SEC. A simple average of 83.48 v. 80.31. And a Win 50% of 83.75 v. 80.02. BIG and PAC 12 are in a virtual tie but have a larger gap from the SEC than the Big 12/SEC gap.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2-3 losses for B12 tops, quite possibly 0 or 1. Probably best win % of any conference. Probably highest non-conference win % of any conference in recent college football history given the ten teams were almost undefeated in their 30 non-conf games before bowls.

Enjoyed seeing the mighty Big Ten team need 7 turnovers by Western Michigan, a kickoff return TD and an onside kick recovery to beat a MAC team by 5 in their first bowl. You know it's a tough league when that team farted out a 4-4 Big Ten record despite getting housed by Rice and squeaking by 2-10 Middle Tennessee State.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

It's really easy. Take out LSU and Ole Miss and walla...the 10 middle SEC teams against the Big 12.

Okie State - Alabama (Toss-up)
KSU - Arkansas (SEC)
Oklahoma - Georgia (Toss-Up)

B12 wins the rest.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Throw in Baylor - South Carolina as another tossup. B12 wins most of the rest.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I like HGPucks way better because it doesn't penalize the SEC for being top-heavy.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

tumblr_lwkc12cGBG1qlx826o3_400.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron