What a pleasure it was to have competent officiating

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I really hadn't realized how bad the officiating was in B12 MBB until this season. It was nice seeing sound officiating and officials not trying to anticipate calls, etc.

It will be a big help to us if we get consistent officiating as it can help keep Niang and Ejim on the court.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Maybe we are being biased but that might have been the best officiating all year. I want to ask a non ISU and non ND fan what they thought of the officiating from a non biased standpoint.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Don't expect the same tomorrow. OSU in Dayton? Consciously or unconsciously, the refs will have OSU's back.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This was just Niang's average ho hum game all season if officials aren't targeting him or throwing the game for KU. People were going nuts, but it was just typical Niang minus the foul trouble.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
You do realize that most of the top officials officiate in all the conferences. They aren't just restricted to one conference during the year. Those guys can officiate 5 days a week. The nice thing about the tourney is the officials are graded and the best ones get to continue officiating the next week.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
You do realize that most of the top officials officiate in all the conferences. They aren't just restricted to one conference during the year. Those guys can officiate 5 days a week. The nice thing about the tourney is the officials are graded and the best ones get to continue officiating the next week.

I get that, and I also understand that the officials in the tourney will be the best of the bunch, but my point is the B12's crews overall have to be among the worst compared with the other power 6 conferences.

I've had a couple of non-B12 people that have seen ISU play several times tell me that the B12 officiating was some of the worst they had ever seen.

I hadn't really paid attention to it until this year, but they do seem bush-league.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When you don't notice the officials much they are doing a good job. When they called the first foul on ND it was DEEP into the first half but I hadn't even noticed it was only their first because the game was flowing well and I hadn't even noticed calls or non-calls.

As gogagig noted, they will probably do a reversal and refs will dominate the game on Sunday.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
That crew was excellent. That is the way the game should be called.

Anyone know what league they do most of their work in? I am tempted to send a note to the supervisor of officials in that league to tell that person what a great crew they are.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
They were good, however I get the feeling had we lost the game there would be a segment of people ******** about the no calls during this game. Specifically on a couple missed dunks where if we lost the reffing would have been a travesty and the conversation would have been all about how the refs called it like a big 10 game and let all kinds of body contact go and how....blah blah blah.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
When the nd big smacked into niang's gut when Georges was within the charging ring, lost the ball and we recovered, I took notice. It was refreshing to see niang not get called when his hands were straight up. There weren't crap bailout fouls.

Another thing- we had holds called on KL and pushes on our bigs that I totally agreed with. Probably because I had trust in the refs at that point and not blinded by a sense the fix being on.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
The biggest thing I noticed was the consistency of last night's crew. There were several times I was upset by the lack of calls on some of the missed dunks, but at the same time they weren't calling ISU for much on the other end of the floor. The biggest key to a good crew is consistency. It's when refs seem to have two different sets of rules for each team that officiating looks really bad.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I thought they did a really nice job. They called the stuff that mattered and they didn't penalize straight-up defense.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When the nd big smacked into niang's gut when Georges was within the charging ring, lost the ball and we recovered, I took notice. It was refreshing to see niang not get called when his hands were straight up. There weren't crap bailout fouls.

Another thing- we had holds called on KL and pushes on our bigs that I totally agreed with. Probably because I had trust in the refs at that point and not blinded by a sense the fix being on.

We were called for two more fouls and shot one less free throw than Notre Dame...and that seemed like GREAT officiating to ISU fans even in the first half when things were in doubt. There was never a time where it seemed like a bad call decided flow of the game.

Big 12 crews are bad, 2 times a year for nine teams they're bad and fix the game. If Niang had been fairly officiated he'd have produced 10-30% more this season. Next year I'm guessing he gets more of a fair shake in 16 of our 18 conference games.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Absolutely agree that was the best officiating I have seen this season. At no point did the refs turn the game or change tempo for either team. Refreshing. There were bad calls and missed calls as there always are and always will be, but they were consistent and fair. Can't ask for more than that. Really relieved that Niang didn't get called for blocking fouls while standing flat footed with his hands straight up like he did all year in the Big 12 (especially against certain teams).