What a joke

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
According to Big 10 blogger Adam Rittenburg Iowa has the best shot out of the big 10 schools to win a national championship. Which in my opinion their schedule is definitely in their favor with their toughest game is Arizona on the road and ohio state at home. They lost most of their offensive line, which was the main reason why they could move the ball last year. How is Ricky Stanzi going to complete passes without experience upfront. How are their backs going to Run without the big boys up front? Yes their Dline is one of the best in the country (except they dont have a lot of depth) but they also lost some linebackers.

He also has Ricky Stanzi on the Heisman trophy watch list. To me this is a huge joke...like i said above they lost most of their offensive line which is what gave stanzi so much time at the end of that michigan state game to throw that game winner. He is very inconsistant especially in the first half, do you think this kid a heisman candidate? My Iowa hatred aside i just cannot see them winning a national championship they lost the key to a good offense. Yes a great defense is there but a defense cant do everything.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I don't know if you can really argue with him. No one from the Big10 will win a championship, but if those are the only 11 teams to choose from, you would probably have to pick EIU.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
The national championship thing is not gonna happen, but there's a hell of a lot more chance of it happening than Stanzi winning the Heisman. I think even the biggest Hawkeye Homer can see that.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
We beat Iowa (ala 2002.)

Squaks go 12-1 and win national championship.

We could definitely sell that to recruits.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Won't happen. They will lose at least 4 games. People are really underrating what they did lose. I know they get a lot back but replacing what they lost from a team that lived off a lot of those guys will not be easy. Their Oline will be worse. Their linebackers will likely be good but not as good. We all know how much they rely on LB play so that could be a hit.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
The national championship thing is not gonna happen, but there's a hell of a lot more chance of it happening than Stanzi winning the Heisman. I think even the biggest Hawkeye Homer can see that.
Arob has a better chance of winning the Heisman than Stanzi does. I'd give it to Clayborn before Stanzi, and defensive lineman do not win the Heisman.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Won't happen. They will lose at least 4 games. People are really underrating what they did lose. I know they get a lot back but replacing what they lost from a team that lived off a lot of those guys will not be easy. Their Oline will be worse. Their linebackers will likely be good but not as good. We all know how much they rely on LB play so that could be a hit.

I agree, Iowa thrives off of their Oline and LBs and no one can seem to remember that

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
According to Big 10 blogger Adam Rittenburg Iowa has the best shot out of the big 10 schools to win a national championship. Which in my opinion their schedule is definitely in their favor with their toughest game is Arizona on the road and ohio state at home. They lost most of their offensive line, which was the main reason why they could move the ball last year. How is Ricky Stanzi going to complete passes without experience upfront. How are their backs going to Run without the big boys up front? Yes their Dline is one of the best in the country (except they dont have a lot of depth) but they also lost some linebackers.

He also has Ricky Stanzi on the Heisman trophy watch list. To me this is a huge joke...like i said above they lost most of their offensive line which is what gave stanzi so much time at the end of that michigan state game to throw that game winner. He is very inconsistant especially in the first half, do you think this kid a heisman candidate? My Iowa hatred aside i just cannot see them winning a national championship they lost the key to a good offense. Yes a great defense is there but a defense cant do everything.

Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Rittenburg didn't come up with any of those projections. He was recapping other ESPN writers selections. And Iowa was actually ESPN's pick as having the best chance to win a title out of any team in the country, not just the B10.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
The offensive line might hold them back, but I've never really known Iowa to have a bad offensive line. The word so far is that they'll be smaller but more athletic on the offensive line, and likely be better in pass protection but worse in run blocking compared to last year.

Their schedule sets up nicely for them. The tough games (minus @Arizona) are all at home. I'd say they probably do have the best chance in the Big 10 at making the national championship game.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I agree, Iowa thrives off of their Oline and LBs and no one can seem to remember that

Yeah and everyone seems to think Stanzi can lead them and make up for those losses. It won't happen. Look at his efficiency from last year with a solid line. I just don't get the love. One person pegged them as likely to disappoint. That is exactly what they are. The lost the anchors of their schemes. Sure, they have probably their most important player on each side of the ball back but I would rather lose them and keep my 2-5 players.

GaryJohnson

Sep 11, 2008
Chicago
According to Big 10 blogger Adam Rittenburg...

...He also has Ricky Stanzi on the Heisman trophy watch list. To me this is a huge joke...like i said above they lost most of their offensive line which is what gave stanzi so much time at the end of that michigan state game to throw that game winner. He is very inconsistant especially in the first half, do you think this kid a heisman candidate? My Iowa hatred aside i just cannot see them winning a national championship they lost the key to a good offense. Yes a great defense is there but a defense cant do everything.

Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Is that even possible?

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Rittenburg didn't come up with any of those projections. He was recapping other ESPN writers selections. And Iowa was actually ESPN's pick as having the best chance to win a title out of any team in the country, not just the B10.

It is in his blog and yes he didnt come up with the information but he is posting the information.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA

And of all positions on offense and defense, those are the positions that they tend to reload, not rebuild. The linebackers are being replaced with experienced upperclassmen, so I wouldn't expect much drop off there. Offensive line will probably struggle the most with depth. Injuries there would seriously affect their season.

If we're looking for a weakness to exploit, it will be their offensive line. But unfortunately that matches what is probably our biggest weakness in our DL.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
According to Big 10 blogger Adam Rittenburg Iowa has the best shot out of the big 10 schools to win a national championship.

I honestly don't know so I'll send out the hawksignal;

Is Iowa a strong favorite by B10 writers to win the B10? For Rittenburg to be taken seriously Iowa must be the overwhelming favorite to win the conference. Or is this like saying Troy has the best shot out of the Sun Belt at winning the NC?

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
And of all positions on offense and defense, those are the positions that they tend to reload, not rebuild. The linebackers are being replaced with experienced upperclassmen, so I wouldn't expect much drop off there. Offensive line will probably struggle the most with depth. Injuries there would seriously affect their season.

If we're looking for a weakness to exploit, it will be their offensive line. But unfortunately that matches what is probably our biggest weakness in our DL.

Yes, but will that Oline Mesh right away? It general takes Iowas Oline a few games to mesh before they peak. But how much depth is there? And how much Depth is there in their Dline?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron