West Virginia on Duke

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
The West Virginia players had some classic quotes after today's game. Here are a few from the article.
When told that the Mountaineers had just beaten a team with eight McDonald’s all-Americans, Alexander seemed startled. He arched his eyebrows and asked in a serious tone, “Who?â€

“We don’t care that they’re Duke,†Alexander said. “That doesn’t mean anything to us. People look at West Virginia like we’re this midmajor school playing all these big schools and upsetting them. That’s not the case at all.â€

“We don’t have any McDonald’s all-Americans and we don’t have any guys who were the No. 1 player in their state,†West Virginia center Jamie Smalligan said. “But I think that Coach K would love to have Joe Alexander on his team right now,†he added, referring to Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Alexander said, “We knew that coming in that they were just going to stand around and not rebound, so we were ready to exploit that.â€

In the first half, Alexander, who is 6 feet 8 inches, blocked a shot by Duke guard DeMarcus Nelson in the post, then let out a scream.
“I told him that he shouldn’t shoot anymore,†Alexander said. “He was actually very nice to me for the rest of the game.â€

As a reporter was leaving, the reserve Cam Thoroughman asked if Duke point guard Greg Paulus was one of the eight McDonald’s all-Americans. When told yes, Thoroughman said: “Oh my God. Are you kidding?â€
That last one on Paulus is the best IMO. McD AA is a joke and way more about who is recruiting you than your actual talent. Maybe Coach K should reevaluate his strategy...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
That's about the amount of class I'd expect from a Bob Huggins coached team.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Sorry I just had to...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYOgC2Qbqh4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYOgC2Qbqh4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mkwpAKUxv0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mkwpAKUxv0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sorry don't know why they don't show up in here...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't either, I have a lot of respect for Duke, they run a clean classy program. Me thinks it's jealousy.

This is why I don't like Duke - they don't run any cleaner or classier program than anybody else. Coach K isn't any cleaner or classier than anybody else. Jon Miller has a story about how Coach K blatantly violated recruiting rules right in front of him (and this is when he was on the ethics committee).

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
The media loves him because he cries. Krystevetchski and Roy Williams always end up balling on TV when talking about their man love for their players.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't either, I have a lot of respect for Duke, they run a clean classy program. Me thinks it's jealousy.

So then why are there a bunch who hate ISU? Is it jealousy? We arent consistent winners in anything and yet people still have something against us.

Nothingman

Mar 31, 2006
So then why are there a bunch who hate ISU? Is it jealousy? We arent consistent winners in anything and yet people still have something against us.

Those are called rivals and pale in comparison to the number of people who hate big name, successful programs. I wish ISU had more hate because it would be mean we were winning.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Those are called rivals and pale in comparison to the number of people who hate big name, successful programs. I wish ISU had more hate because it would be mean we were winning.

There are plenty outside of the Big12 who share the hate for us. I understand rivalry. Its ok to not like Duke. North Carolina is a consistant winner, I dont hate them. I just think Duke rubs most people the wrong way.

Nothingman

Mar 31, 2006
There are plenty outside of the Big12 who share the hate for us. I understand rivalry. Its ok to not like Duke. North Carolina is a consistant winner, I dont hate them. I just think Duke rubs most people the wrong way.

Oh, its absolutely ok to not like Duke. That is what makes sports entertaining. It wouldn't be a lot of fun if everyone liked every team. I was sharing my opinion as to why people don't like Duke. If Duke was a middle of the pack ACC team there would be little to no hate for Duke, especially outside of the ACC.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Jeez, didn't realize the fun police were out today. So they have a chip on their shoulder, so what? When the media loves on one team and doesn't give the other guys any respect they're going to be upset about it. Besides, the fact that Paulus was a McD AA is laughable.

The problem with Duke is that the media has built this air of superiority and they try to perpetuate the myth. Coach K has a recruiting pitch on TV every single commercial break. They have a history of whiners going back beyond the Laettner years. They get every single call from the officials and then whine about how they never get calls.

Help Support Us

Become a patron