WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't look at it with any sense of humor. Denae was loved and wanted here. Why she thought she'd find a better place (doubt NIL was it)? But, there she is, in her third school, and it is not in any better situation. I wish I could sit down with her and ask how we could have been her forever school. It eats at me that with most of these, we will never know.
I'm not going to try and analyze her situation. What I will say is that sometimes our decisions in life don't work out. I've had that happen to me. Been in a job that was good not great. I took an opportunity at a new place to try something new, turns out it was worse than job #1. So you go and find a new gig to try and improve your situation, then you find out it's worse than #1 or #2.

That's all to say, sometimes you make decisions in life and they don't work out. Sometimes they do. Maybe she was sold a bill of goods to leave ISU and go to Baylor (like being a starter in a "better" program, for example). That clearly didn't work out. I hope for the best for her and she's able to find a place she enjoys playing and can enjoy her college experience.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe better.

And frogs sign another. Guess they won't be short rostered this year, assuming they don't get the injury curse again.

"Get your programs! Get you programs! Only $1.50! Can't tell the players without your program!" Flashback to program hawkers at Twins old Met Stadium. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm not going to try and analyze her situation. What I will say is that sometimes our decisions in life don't work out. I've had that happen to me. Been in a job that was good not great. I took an opportunity at a new place to try something new, turns out it was worse than job #1. So you go and find a new gig to try and improve your situation, then you find out it's worse than #1 or #2.

That's all to say, sometimes you make decisions in life and they don't work out. Sometimes they do. Maybe she was sold a bill of goods to leave ISU and go to Baylor (like being a starter in a "better" program, for example). That clearly didn't work out. I hope for the best for her and she's able to find a place she enjoys playing and can enjoy her college experience.
Generally, analyzing the factors creating turnover and finding solutions is a positive proactive move. Wasting time energy and resources recruiting a kid and then watching them walk without understanding the motivation is an ineffective strategy. Sure there is turnover, but if communication on expectations, and realities were addressed and some mutual understanding of where a kid is really at and ways to work through issues, maybe we could retain those players.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Me a million years ago quitting my job in design office. Small profession so kept my reasons to myself as I didn't want to burn any bridges within the profession. Made significantly less money the next two years working parttime and as a carpenter driving a rusty old Chevy Nova but I was back to sleeping at night.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Hawks look like they got a pretty good draw, for sure. That's the thing about the big ass conferences, somebody is going to get an advantage at times. Not a big deal, Hawks will not contend for title next year but it is still a forecast of how scheduling will be drastically changed in big leagues, including the Big 12. Still, you don't avoid anyone, just get alternating home/away.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hey Murph the big 10 has not won a WBB National Champions in almost 25 years. They got some numbers and talent from outside the conference to up the chances. We'll see posts about the BIG XII WBB schedule right?

Thing is when the Big 12 is announced there will be no Top Ten teams on the Cyclone schedule and no national marque players coming to Hilton that are any sort of a draw, so there is that. JuJu may be the next "It Girl" with the Big Ten's coverage and channel although I'd pick Booker of Texas over her without hesitation. Granted, with Crooks we should have our own draw. With Harmon and Booker of Texas gone to the SEC it's Crooks POY crown to take. And, no, I don't consider Lee of KSU a big interest player (good but not someone that generates real buzz).

Given Hawks recent success/attendance, the rivalry and Crooks as an emerging marquee player the game in IC is likely to be a sellout. With ISU likely to be highly ranked it should at least get the Big Ten channel main channel. If it were in Ames it would certainly be on one of the flagships.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Hawks look like they got a pretty good draw, for sure. That's the thing about the big ass conferences, somebody is going to get an advantage at times. Not a big deal, Hawks will not contend for title next year but it is still a forecast of how scheduling will be drastically changed in big leagues, including the Big 12. Still, you don't avoid anyone, just get alternating home/away.
not going to argue with you about where the hoks will be in the conference but read an article that now with the recruiting in the portal they are almost a blueblood program in wbb. and will be back for another run in the ncaa tournament.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Thing is when the Big 12 is announced there will be no Top Ten teams on the Cyclone schedule and no national marque players coming to Hilton that are any sort of a draw, so there is that. JuJu may be the next "It Girl" with the Big Ten's coverage and channel although I'd pick Booker of Texas over her without hesitation. Granted, with Crooks we should have our own draw. With Harmon and Booker of Texas gone to the SEC it's Crooks POY crown to take. And, no, I don't consider Lee of KSU a big interest player (good but not someone that generates real buzz).

Given Hawks recent success/attendance, the rivalry and Crooks as an emerging marquee player the game in IC is likely to be a sellout. With ISU likely to be highly ranked it should at least get the Big Ten channel main channel. If it were in Ames it would certainly be on one of the flagships.
Juju is my "it" girl. I followed her when incidentally catching her early recruiting films. She seems like a good teammate, person, and personality, too. I can't say I was disappointed in her Freshman year and I see the draw. "News" as we move through the off-season maybe tidbits on the great teams, players, and matchups coming to Iowa City.

Murphy is on this. Notwithstanding, I will not hesitate to predict Iowa State will be the story in Iowa college bb this upcoming season, not the Hawks. Feeding the beast is a full-time job to get people into reading the DMR. I am kind of pro-DMR. As a kid, I delivered it for five years with my younger brother. It was an institution in my house and my earliest memory was the annual Maynard Reece birds spread.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How is that even possible? They only play ONE team twice?

Well, there are eight hundred teams in the league, the other option is to have some teams not play each other at all. With our own league being bigger it will be interesting to see who we get two games with and who we only solo with. The "super" conferences might need to do divisions. We were neither screwed or gifted last year in our first season of not playing everyone twice but it will be even more unbalanced this coming season.

• Agree
Reactions: qwerty and StClone