USMNT - Gold Cup

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Anyone know where I can watch any of the games? I saw it was listed on Fox Soccer channel, and I doubt I have that. I will probably have to resort to first row sports.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Anyone know where I can watch any of the games? I saw it was listed on Fox Soccer channel, and I doubt I have that. I will probably have to resort to first row sports.

The match Tuesday night is on Fox Soccer, but the match Saturday is on Fox network at 2 CST. I believe as they move out of group play into the knockout rounds more of those matches will be on Fox especially the US matches, but don't quote me on that. They are trying to pump up awareness ahead of their coverage of the 2014 World Cup

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
If you don't mind it being in Spanish Univision or telemundo should have the games on, and then you can hear gooooooooooaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
If you don't mind it being in Spanish Univision or telemundo should have the games on, and then you can hear gooooooooooaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll

I think I'd rather watch the Spanish language broadcast than be subjected to a Gus Johnson game. I haven't seen anything confirmed yet. Is Gus on duty for these matches?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think I'd rather watch the Spanish language broadcast than be subjected to a Gus Johnson game. I haven't seen anything confirmed yet. Is Gus on duty for these matches?
Some of them, yes, and it's not fun. Thank god they lost the BPL to NBC.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames

You can't be serious. I'd take Gus Johnson any day over JP Dellacamera. In fact the JP Dellacamera and John Harkes tandem mixed with a little Marcelo Balboa is probably the worst ever for United States matches.

It is a damn shame Jack Edwards got the boot after the 2002 World Cup at least he played the game at the college level and had enthusiasm in his broadcast's (it wasn't his fault he was paired with Ty Keough for the 2002 WC). It is also a damn shame Phil Schoen hasn't gotten the lead play by play duties at a high level. Gus is solid and better than most of the alternatives.

Edit - Did you watch the Champs League Final? Gus called that match and was great

Last edited:

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I don't have a problem Gus Johnson overall. I loved him when he did NCAA tournament games. I just don't think he's a quality soccer play-by-play guy. His newness to the sport is pretty obvious in his broadcasts.

As for the USMNT itself, who do you think JK is going to go with in the midfield tonight? Against Guatemala he went with Beckerman-Torres in the first half and Diskerud-Holden in the second. Mix & Stu were very impressive in my opinion, but a lot of that was due to the fact that Guatemala didn't appear to be all that interested in playing a competitive match once the second half got underway.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Shag it was only 1-0 at half. The reason Guatemala looked disinterested is because Holden and Mix bossed the center of the park.

I say put Donovan up top that is where he wanted to play on Fri anyway. Play Torres in the "Dempsey" role in behind. Shea out left, Stu and Mix centrally in the dual pivot and Bedoya out right.

MrOtter

Sep 6, 2010
Fort Collins, CO
Shag it was only 1-0 at half. The reason Guatemala looked disinterested is because Holden and Mix bossed the center of the park.

I say put Donovan up top that is where he wanted to play on Fri anyway. Play Torres in the "Dempsey" role in behind. Shea out left, Stu and Mix centrally in the dual pivot and Bedoya out right.

I'm not sure Donovan works as a single striker. I say pair him with Gomez (with a sub for Jack Mac later please!) and play a 4-1-3-2. Especially against these weaker teams we shouldn't need two CDMs. Mix can play back, Holden is central and on the outsides I don't really care. I think Bedoya and Shea may be our best players but I don't mind seeing Corona or Castillo or whatnot get a chance. Especially against Belize.

All that said, I'd bet money we come out in a 4-2-3-1 with Donovan at RM and Beckerman at CDM.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
A little off topic but looks like there will another US national in the BPL this year. Altidore will play for Sunderland this year. Hopefully it will be more successful than his last BPL stint.

MrOtter

Sep 6, 2010
Fort Collins, CO
#USMNT starting lineup: Rimando; Parkhurst, Orozco-Fiscal, Goodson, Beasley ©; Beckerman; Corona, Diskerud, Torres; Donovan, Wondolowski

Looks like I was partially wrong. We are actually going with the 4-1-3-2 with Beckerman at CDM and Donovan and Wondo up top. I don't hate it. I assume Klinsy doesn't want to give Stu a full 90 yet. I'm hoping Torres can finally have a solid game in this one. Alexi Lalas just predicted a 6-0 win on Best Soccer Show. I'd be okay with that...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Can someone summarize what the gold cup is? who enters? and how the tourney is played out?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Can someone summarize what the gold cup is? who enters? and how the tourney is played out?
Tournament to determine the champion of the national teams from North America, Central America and the Caribbean. 12 teams, group play followed by knockout rounds. If you win the Gold Cup you'll have a chance to play in the Confederations Cup which is kind of like a mini World Cup.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Hope Brek Shea gets some playing time. Love watching that kid play. He flies around the pitch.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Hey Shag!

On Cue JP Dellecamera is calling the game and I am damn near asleep. Gus Johnson > JP Dellecamera. JP go away...

PhillipJCY

Mar 7, 2012
New New York
A little slow thus far. Not really much creativity in the attack and Donovan has been invisible. I'd like to see him track back from his forward spot to get on the ball.

Everyone looks head and shoulders better than any of the Belize players except Beckerman and Goodson. Man, I hate the fact that Beckerman is an option for any tournament.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron