Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I used to use that word that narrowly as well, but some dictionaries define it more expansively.

Merriam Webster:
: not according to or authorized by law : UNLAWFUL, ILLICIT
also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)
I think that's referring to within the game like illegal screen. Outside of a game it's not illegal if you can't be arrested for it.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
What is the earning potential of a high level European pro? I don't follow that. I'd guess if you could average over $125K (I bet it is kind if pricey living an international life) that would be a nice living and let you put some away. I just don't know what they make.

AND, isn't this just a tale of now money vs. long term investment that MULTIPLE Billions of people have gambled on for millennia? It is too bad and I hate to see the waste of good talent and I really wished Tyrese could have done better and could have done that with us. He was a great story.

Let's just hope he got the weighty bag some people thought he got and his advisors were as good at investing as they were at whispering in his ear. If they were, he could do worse in life. Most of us had nothing or, less than nothing, getting out of college. Imagine having a 10 year head start on that in the bank.
Higher than $125. Clyburn made 7 figures for several years. https://www.eurohoops.net/en/trademarks/1396808/the-top10-euroleague-contracts-salaries-2022-23/5/

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think that's referring to within the game like illegal screen. Outside of a game it's not illegal if you can't be arrested for it.
NCAA rules are official rules and regulations under which the member institutions operate. So this second definition on Dictionary.com applies:

1. forbidden by law or statute.
    Synonyms: unlicensed, illicit, illegitimate, unlawful
  2. contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.:
    The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass.

• Informative
Reactions: CYDJ

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
It’s ridiculous when people say euro basketball is not a good living. Even if they’re only making $150k that is a good living by the standards of most Americans.
Especially playing a game for a living.

Yes it’s hard work, long hours, and physically demanding. But living in the EU with healthcare, the food, the culture, and less media pressure while you play your favorite sport sounds like a good gig.

Plenty of folks stateside breaking their backs for a lot less. And worst case, a guy makes some dough playing overseas and comes home with a nice nest egg to work a regular job like the rest of us.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So in summary:
- Tyrese left for $X00,000 to go play for Beard at Texas
- He publicly said it wasn’t about money, but others in know insist it was a factor
- There was some public ribbing between him and our players, notably Gabe Kalscheur on social media. We may never know what “smoke” went down behind the scenes.
- Tyrese got booed in Ames. He posted some petty tweets about ISU sports losing later on
- That dingus running an AAU basketball gym in DSM suburbs invited Texas to use like a practice facility. Same guy who got kicked off ISU basketball for weed a decade ago. Can’t remember his name nor do I care to.
- Coach Terry ran a dumpster fire and Tyrese didn’t make the jump some thought he would. Now he’s portaling again

There’s the highlights
Did you intend to leave off the photo with the Johnny Orr sculpture in which TH is wearing a UT shirt and doing horns up? That was very inflammatory.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Players do have to put in the work, however coaching a shooter can make a difference. If you want a well documented example just look at the Monte Morris gum wrapper.

Yes - coaches noticed something, gave him a drill, then he went and shot thousands of shots. But guide hand problems and the hold a coin (or gum wrapper) drill is super common among shooters in HS and even junior high. Kids even in HS can diagnose about any shooting problem with HD slowmo videos on their phones and all the youtube resources.

Terrible coaches have guys that are great shooters. Great coaches have terrible shooters. Sometimes a single coach will have a guys at the same time take huge jumps in shooting percentages while some plateau or even regress. At the exact same time Naz went from a poor shooter to a nearly 40% 3pt shooter, Matt Thomas' percentage was regressing.

Shooting is about the player and whether they'll do all the annoying drills tens of thousands of times, week after week in the offseason.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Did you intend to leave off the photo with the Johnny Orr sculpture in which TH is wearing a UT shirt and doing horns up? That was very inflammatory.
That's an incredibly bad photoshop I'm pretty sure someone here made

Reactions: rosshm16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yes - coaches noticed something, gave him a drill, then he went and shot thousands of shots. But guide hand problems and the hold a coin (or gum wrapper) drill is super common among shooters in HS and even junior high. Kids even in HS can diagnose about any shooting problem with HD slowmo videos on their phones and all the youtube resources.

Terrible coaches have guys that are great shooters. Great coaches have terrible shooters. Sometimes a single coach will have a guys at the same time take huge jumps in shooting percentages while some plateau or even regress. At the exact same time Naz went from a poor shooter to a nearly 40% 3pt shooter, Matt Thomas' percentage was regressing.

Shooting is about the player and whether they'll do all the annoying drills tens of thousands of times, week after week in the offseason.

The NBA coaches who didn't rework Haliburton's unconventional shot are geniuses. He's practically in the Steph Curry club now for insane long 3s and knowing they're gonna go in. Guys like that I don't even look at their % anymore because I know they are taking some insane 3s yet making them.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA

Man, just imagine if he transferred out of Ames during the era of freely available AI-generated imagery.

Wait....scratch that. Nevermind.

I present to you the results of "Tyrese Hunter throwing horns down in front of a statue of Iowa State basketball coach Johnny Orr":
asdf.jpg

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It’s ridiculous when people say euro basketball is not a good living. Even if they’re only making $150k that is a good living by the standards of most Americans.
Just remember taxes at like 50%, VAT, etc. High cost of living. It's not the same as making $150k here.

That said, if they are living small, and the club is paying for hotels and meals etc... they aren't impoverished and they are getting paid to play ball.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Just remember taxes at like 50%, VAT, etc. High cost of living. It's not the same as making $150k here.

That said, if they are living small, and the club is paying for hotels and meals etc... they aren't impoverished and they are getting paid to play ball.
All fair. Point being that average salary in the US is well below 6 figures. Kids coming out of school getting paid north of that are in highly competitive and exclusive roles/companies. Its not a bad post grad job.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The NBA coaches who didn't rework Haliburton's unconventional shot are geniuses. He's practically in the Steph Curry club now for insane long 3s and knowing they're gonna go in. Guys like that I don't even look at their % anymore because I know they are taking some insane 3s yet making them.
His 3s were worse this year than previous, however.