Twister Sister Special - Interview with Cyclone Great Heather Ezell!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The year was 2005 and an athlete from Springfield, Missouri appeared on Iowa State’s campus and immediately changed the Twister Sister team for the better. She started all but one game as a freshman and had such laudable moments as hitting five treys against Texas and had a
then ISU freshman record 13 assists in one game against Missouri. Who are we talking about? University of Wyoming Head Women’s Basketball Coach Heather Ezell.

Heather Ezell came to Iowa State as the 2005 Miss Show Me Basketball and a two time state champion at Kickapoo High School. In her four years at ISU, Ezell would go on to have a stellar career for the Sisters, starting all four years and becoming a deadly threat from behind the arc. She appears throughout the ISU record book. Here are but a few examples:
• Most Three Pointers in a Game - 10 versus Sacramento State
• Most Threes in a Game (Freshman) - 5 versus Missouri
• Most Steals in a Game (Freshman) - 5 versus Texas, versus Nichols State
• Tied (5th) Threes in a Season - 88 (08-09)
• Three Pointers Attempted in a Season - 214 (Tie 10th 05-06), 232 (6th 07-08), 249 (3rd 08-09)
• Steals in a Season - 9th 63 (08-09) (she led the team in steals all four years)
• Three Pointers Made in a Season - 2nd 69 (Freshman 05-06), 4th 78 (Junior 07-08), Tie 3rd 88 (Senior 08-09)
• Career Games Played - tied 2nd with 135
• Career Three Pointers Made - 2nd with 287
• Career Three Pointers Attempted - 2nd with 857
• Career Assists - 10th with 414
• Career Steals - 4th with 201
There are many more, but this illustrates just how valuable Ezell was to the Iowa State women’s program between 2005 and 2009.

I’ve followed Heather’s career with interest after ISU. So, what’s she been doing? I recently conversed with her via email to share with you a bit more about this amazing Cyclone.

1. What about your high school experience do you think attracted Iowa State to recruit you? Who was your primary recruiter?

I had the opportunity to play for an amazing high school coach who before she took the HS job was an Assistant Coach at Mizzou. So she knew the college game and the recruiting process. I think it was easy for coaches to recruit from her program because she ran the HS program like a college team. We only lost 7 games during my High School career, we won two state championships and being from Missouri I believe it was local enough for Iowa State that it made it easy to recruit. At the time Jack Easley was the primary recruiter.

2. What made you decide that Iowa State was where you wanted to play your college ball?

I went on a lot of visits and when I came to Iowa State on an unofficial I remember meeting the team and just feeling like I fit in so well. My dream was to play in the Big 12 and I did a handful of visits within the Big 12 but none of them compared to that feeling of belonging like I did on my visit to Iowa State. I also believe the style of play at Iowa State was the perfect fit for my game.

3. Of everything you did while at Iowa State, what was the “one” thing you incorporated into your practice/preparation routine that improved your play the most?

I believe the work in the weight room and conditioning was what improved my play the most. I was definitely not in the best shape my freshman year but I really bought into the strength and conditioning program after my Freshman year and I think it propelled me into being the best player I could be.

4. While at Iowa State, was there a particular game that stands out in your mind as one of your greatest memories? Why?

It’s hard for me to not say the Michigan State game my Senior year in the NCAA tournament. There was never a moment in that game that I didn’t have belief that we could win, even we when were down by 7 with a minute to go. And then obviously to do what we did in that final
minute and win the game, is just a memory I will never forget. (for a recap of this amazing game go to: https://cyclones.com/news/2009/3/28/3701735.aspx)

5. As an extension of that question…was there a particular play you were a part of that will always stand out in your memories?

Same game, I was never known for my rebounding ability, especially on the offensive end. But for some reason I found myself down there and got the rebound and made pass (assist) to Aus for the go ahead three, that in the end won the game. It was one of those plays where we as a team were going to do whatever needed to be done to win the game and if that meant I needed to go for an offensive rebound, well then I was going to do it.

6. How did the coaching staff help you to grow into the player and now coach that you are? Do you still communicate with them professionally?

The coaches were always available to talk, watch film, and rebound. I realized how important those moments with coaches were when I first got into coaching. Making sure I made time to be there for my athletes no matter what the need was. Sometimes just to talk and listen to what was going on in their life. I stay in touch with all the coaches on a consistent basis. I know I can reach out to them with any questions and they are happy to help.

7. What made Hilton Coliseum a special place to play for you?

The fans!! To be able to run out of the locker room and the stands were already packed full with 30 mins still on the warmup clock.

8. If you had to pick one…what would be your favorite memory of your time at Iowa State (this might not be basketball!)?

Graduation – The older you get you realize just how important that part of your college career was. I am only a second generation college graduate and that makes me proud.

9. You are one of the all time great three point shooters in Iowa State history. Did you focus on shooting three’s more than other things in practice? What made you so good at it?

I focused on the fundamentals every time I came in the gym to get shots up. I started at 3 feet before moving to 30 feet. I talk to players all the time, it’s not about quantity, it’s about quality. I came in the gym focused on the right shots and the right mechanics every time. The last piece and could be the most important was confidence, I always believed there wasn’t a shot I shouldn’t make, couldn’t make and I was mad when I missed.

10. Your parents were obviously huge supporters. What would you say about how they supported you over the years as a player and coach?

My parents are who made me who I am no doubt. Their support through my early years of basketball, the money they put in for me to travel around during my high school years and then all the miles they put on their car driving to Ames or wherever to watch me play, I will never be able to say thank you enough. I lost my dad in 2022 and it was one of the hardest times in my life because he was my biggest fan and biggest supporter.

See Part II for the remainder of the Interview!!

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I loved her hustle and I remember one game when she dove for a ball going out of bounds and slid right into the stats peoples area.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron