Transfer Portal Tracker

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
If we now have the best coaching staff ISU has ever had, a couple of these guys will leave and win at least 1 Super Bowl. Jimmy Johnson was here under Johnny Majors, won at least 1 Super Bowl. Was there another coach that did that ? I don’t remember. But, I do think our current staff is very good.
Pete Carroll

Reactions: 0u812

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Heard what I thought was a good take this morning on FOX Sports. LaVar Arrington I think played at Penn State and was a 1st round draft pick. He said most players should only go in the portal if they already have a known destination. They are giving up a free education, good relationships, good training, good nutrition, good medical care. And there are a lot of kids that go in the portal and end up sitting on a couch with nothing. Even if you're content with moving downward, at least have a place to land before you jump in.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Am I crazy because when I watch Gabriel and Caleb Williams I see the same QB?
Only thing about Gabriel is he's like 5'10 im pretty sure. He's def on the smaller side. Didn't stop Kyler Murray, though.

Don't think he's Kyler Murray but he's very good.

Trashman12345

Nov 13, 2021
And I'm actively shopping myself to the models at the Victoria Secret Fashion Show.

I just can't see any NFL team wanting to hire a guy with no NFL experience who has probably underachieved with superior talent at the college level.
Day has a couple of years experience as a position coach at the NFL level.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Heard what I thought was a good take this morning on FOX Sports. LaVar Arrington I think played at Penn State and was a 1st round draft pick. He said most players should only go in the portal if they already have a known destination. They are giving up a free education, good relationships, good training, good nutrition, good medical care. And there are a lot of kids that go in the portal and end up sitting on a couch with nothing. Even if you're content with moving downward, at least have a place to land before you jump in.
I think someone needs to highlight the downside of the transfer portal. Out of all of the athletes that go into the portal, how many end up with no landing spot at all?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Guarantee you some of these guys either just didn't want to disappoint the coaches when they ask or they talked to their family over the weekend.

The portal is open for 30 days. This stuff will have waves to it. Teams that lose players in the portal will go right back into it to find replacements, which prompts those schools to look for replacements, etc. You're not really ever going to be safe until the portal is closed. That said, it's far better for the player and schools involved for those that know they are moving on to do so early in the process, which is where we are at.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think someone needs to highlight the downside of the transfer portal. Out of all of the athletes that go into the portal, how many end up with no landing spot at all?
To illustrate your point, as of right now, on the On3 transfer portal site, there are 85 quarterbacks in the portal. This includes all levels including FCS and walk ons-but the fact remains that some of these kids are biting the hand that feeds them and they are going to lose out of what was left of a free college education.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
To illustrate your point, as of right now, on the On3 transfer portal site, there are 85 quarterbacks in the portal. This includes all levels including FCS and walk ons-but the fact remains that some of these kids are biting the hand that feeds them and they are going to lose out of what was left of a free college education.
I am sure that some of them didn't necessarily have an option, but I'd be really curious to know how many of those are on scholarship somewhere next year.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I feel like Ryan Day on an NFL sideline would work out about as well as Urban Meyer did.
Day is going to do what is best for himself. Why not be a Matt Ruhle, go to the NFL, suck at your job, get fired, and then collect a payout. While collecting the payout, return to the college level and become a head coach again.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I am sure that some of them didn't necessarily have an option, but I'd be really curious to know how many of those are on scholarship somewhere next year.
I’ve seen this data somewhere, but can’t remember where. The numbers were far worse than I expected.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
And I'm actively shopping myself to the models at the Victoria Secret Fashion Show.

I just can't see any NFL team wanting to hire a guy with no NFL experience who has probably underachieved with superior talent at the college level.
Must be tired of getting beat by Michigan

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I saw something on social media that Ryan Day is actively shopping himself for an NFL job, and players got wind of it.

Don't know the credibility of this person, so who knows.

Nick Saban will go down as one of the best college coaches ever. And he has a career NFL coaching record of 15-17. Completely different game, winning does not necessarily translate that easily. And if he leaves OSU, here come the CMC coaching rumors

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Nick Saban will go down as one of the best college coaches ever. And he has a career NFL coaching record of 15-17. Completely different game, winning does not necessarily translate that easily. But good luck. And if he leaves OSU, here come the CMC coaching rumors
He’s one of the best college coaches because he’s always known how to cheat/do illegal things to win at the college level. The NFL is a level field where everyone knows what they are doing and how to win. Just got to have the right talent.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Nick Saban will go down as one of the best college coaches ever. And he has a career NFL coaching record of 15-17. Completely different game, winning does not necessarily translate that easily. And if he leaves OSU, here come the CMC coaching rumors
CMC did a fantastic job this year and is perfect for ISU. Not saying it couldn't happen but I would be shocked if OSU hires him. That fan base would not be happy with that hire