Things to do in Memphis

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Does anyone have experience using the Trolley system? Our AirBnb is north of Beale St. and it looked like an easy way to hop on for a half mile or so.
Used it as our main mode of transportation from hotel to downtown and back when we went in 2012. Found it easy and convenient

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I’m not a “City = bad” type of guy, but Memphis has some of the most unique blends of haves and have nots I have ever seen. The shadow of segregation still lingers heavily over the place.

Some places like Germantown have a sterile, Stepford Wives vibe that’s just… off.

It’s a blue collar town. And they love their Memphis Tigers
Agreed with this 100%. If you want to pi$$ off someone from Germantown or Collierville just introduce them as being "from Memphis". They will correct you and then chastise you.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

Okay, to answer my own question...

It appears that the typical way to go is to have exact change ($1 each way) to deposit into the "farebox" each time you hop on.

Day passes ($2) and 3 day ($9) passes also "may be purchased on-board from the trolley operator". Whatever that is (person? machine?) It's also unclear if 3 day passes are available, because their website says they "will not be sold at this time due to COVID-19". Note: it also doesn't make sense to buy a 3 day pass when it's $3 cheaper to buy 3x single day passes.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Okay, to answer my own question...

It appears that the typical way to go is to have exact change ($1 each way) to deposit into the "farebox" each time you hop on.

Day passes ($2) and 3 day ($9) passes also "may be purchased on-board from the trolley operator". Whatever that is (person? machine?) It's also unclear if 3 day passes are available, because their website says they "will not be sold at this time due to COVID-19". Note: it also doesn't make sense to buy a 3 day pass when it's $3 cheaper to buy 3x single day passes.
I saw the same thing and had to re-read it a few times because the 3 day cost made no sense

You can also download the MATA GO901 App and purchase day passes there

Reactions: nrg4isu

Frog

May 6, 2021
For the hunters - I haven't been to DU HQ for a while so we are stopping in there.

Reactions: Ingynow

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One underappreciated opportunity in Memphis is the street musicians. Some of these guys can play some great stuff, such as B.B. King songs. I like to give them $10 or $20 and ask for some of the less-familiar songs, such as as B.B. King's "I Paid the Cost to Be the Boss." Wives hate that one.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I'm just gonna say it:

There are multiple BBQ spots in Central Iowa that are better than Central BBQ in Memphis. We went after visiting the Lorraine Motel (I would recommend that - it's chilling to literally stand where history happened like that) in '17 and while it was good, it wasn't mind blowing or anything.

Of course, I think that Central Iowa has a wildly underrated BBQ scene too.

Just out of curiosity, what are your top 2-3 places in central Iowa.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Does anyone have any BBQ recommendations out towards Germantown?

This board sent me to Germantown Commissary last year and it was a great little dive BBQ place.

The guys I worked with took me to Memphis Barbecue Co. just south of Memphis barely across Mississippi line and it was like the Disney World of meat. Kind of insane. I felt like I couldn't even fully appreciate it because I'm not that big of a bbq expert. Probably out of the way from where many are staying but could be a destination for real bbq fans.

I also went to an INCREDIBLE donut place called Gibson's Donuts that is totally worth a stop and maybe not that out of the way for people.

Reactions: aauummm

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For those Gus's Chicken lovers, there is one in Kansas City now (next to Oklahoma Joes). Might not be as good as the original but its damn close.

It's really random but they also opened one in my neighborhood Burbank CA. I ate at one in Memphis last year and it tastes pretty identical. INCREDIBLE. Almost ruins other fried chicken if you like spicy food.

I'm surprised it's not busier, I don't think Socal really appreciates that food. If everyone had my taste in food there would be a line around the block.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think Kue'd, Cornbred, and Smokey D's were all better than Central. I haven't been to Whatcha Smokin' yet, but a lot of folks think it's the best of the bunch.
Interesting, I think BBQ is all subjective. I liked Kue'd but thought Cornbread was ok and never been a huge fan of smokey D's.