The Wheel of Time

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
Searched and didn't see this mentioned anywhere. The first trailer for the upcoming Wheel of Time TV show was released this morning.
As a big fan of the books, I think this looks awesome and the changes they are making look to be some really good decisions. Curious if anyone else has read it and/or is looking forward to the series.

thejoeldozer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2017
I am looking forward to it. I am currently reading through the series (I'm almost done with Knife of Dreams) and I thought the trailer mostly nailed what I "saw" while reading the books so far!

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I've done at least two complete read throughs (technically did the final book on audio). Really looking forward to this. There's plenty they can streamline from the books that wouldn't upset me in the least.

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
I am looking forward to it. I am currently reading through the series (I'm almost done with Knife of Dreams) and I thought the trailer mostly nailed what I "saw" while reading the books so far!
That's awesome, you're basically out of "the slog" (which I really didn't mind) and things are going to pick up pretty quick. I'm super hopeful for the show because there's so many scenes from the books I want to see them get to do: (possible spoilers through Towers of Midnight Dumai's Wells, Egwene defending the White Tower, Rhuidean

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
That's awesome, you're basically out of "the slog" (which I really didn't mind) and things are going to pick up pretty quick. I'm super hopeful for the show because there's so many scenes from the books I want to see them get to do:

Man, was it book 10 or book 11 that felt like nothing happened? One of those two books felt like the plot barely advanced.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
That's awesome, you're basically out of "the slog" (which I really didn't mind) and things are going to pick up pretty quick. I'm super hopeful for the show because there's so many scenes from the books I want to see them get to do: (possible spoilers through Towers of Midnight Dumai's Wells, Egwene defending the White Tower, Rhuidean

I'm so nervous about the series. I really want it to be good.

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
I'm so nervous about the series. I really want it to be good.
Same here, so far it looks pretty good and supposedly has the budget needed. I'm mainly worried about the human/narrative elements that I hope they pull off.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Same here, so far it looks pretty good and supposedly has the budget needed. I'm mainly worried about the human/narrative elements that I hope they pull off.

So far look 10000% percent better than the "trailer" they made several years ago. I believe they made a trailer just so they could retain the rights to the story or something.

If you haven't seen it, it is truly cursed.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Man, how many books are there? (Looked it up: 15!) I've been looking for some new fiction to read. Any one want to give a basic plug for starting this series? What kind of story is it?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Man, how many books are there? (Looked it up: 15!) I've been looking for some new fiction to read. Any one want to give a basic plug for starting this series? What kind of story is it?
At some point they become a little hard to read but the first maybe 8 or 9 is some of the best fantasy I've read

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
I'm curious what they will cut out. I love the books but I think a decent amount can be cut without hurting the story.

thejoeldozer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2017
The slog wasn’t too bad, minus book 10. That book was rough. The locations looked great IMO. November can’t get here soon enough!

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

I'd guess a medieval Star Wars where the Jedi are all women because men Jedi go insane and cause lots of problems. Main character is like a reborn Anakin Skywalker that has to save the world before he becomes Vader again.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I like Stormlight better personally but that series isn't done yet if waiting for books drives you crazy

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I read the first 3 books quite a while ago and thought they were great.

Between Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings and the new Game of Thrones, there’s gonna be a lot of high-end fantasy streaming in my household this coming year.

I’m glad the nerds took over popular culture.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
At some point they become a little hard to read but the first maybe 8 or 9 is some of the best fantasy I've read

I quit way before book 8 or 9. Last one I read had the black tower. Couldn’t do it anymore.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Honestly that doesn’t look very good. Reminds me of one of those mediocre shows Amazon cranks out. They do some good stuff, but this one seems meh.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I read the first one. I liked it, but I could tell I was not in it for the long haul so I didn't read anything past that one.

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
Here's hoping the TV series re-ignites your interest. I won't lie and say there aren't some books that aren't as good as the others (impossible not to have when there are 15 in the series). That said, the first book is much more standard fantasy with a pretty confusing ending (until you've read more into the series). The following books are where the world and Robert Jordan really shines, if you ask me.