Templeton

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Real stuff - Produced at home by families that have handed down their recipe. Only way to get it is to know someone.

Commercial - Brand/recipe purchased by Scott Bush to make the stuff on the shelves.
Thanks.

I wonder how good the quality control is for this "real" stuff. Being a biochemist, I understand a little bit about the reactions happening, and I'm wondering if they really are as good at aging the whiskey, since that's generally the critical part when it comes to flavor/feel, etc.

Grain quality is going to be critical as well. How good is the equipment that these "real" distillers are using?

Call me crazy, but I'm going to defer to the people doing it professionally.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Real - available only to someone who knows someone

Commercial - available to everyone else

I would prefer the real, but its just not feasible. I've had real once. Both commercial and real are very, very tasty. Although there seems to be a lot of smoke that one of the heads of the commercial company is a *****.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Thanks.

I wonder how good the quality control is for this "real" stuff. Being a biochemist, I understand a little bit about the reactions happening, and I'm wondering if they really are as good at aging the whiskey, since that's generally the critical part when it comes to flavor/feel, etc.

Grain quality is going to be critical as well. How good is the equipment that these "real" distillers are using?

Call me crazy, but I'm going to defer to the people doing it professionally.

The families that make the "real" have been doing so for a LONG time. I'm sure they know what they are doing. That kind of experience can't be recreated IMO.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Is it really that hard to get the commercial stuff anymore? I know where I work has always had in stock since I started over 3 months ago.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'm sorry I can't bite my lip any longer. Do people REALLY like the taste of this stuff? Because I'd bet serious money if you put a blind taste test of Templeton up against Crown that Crown would demolish Templeton. Basically TR tastes like a knock-off Jim Beam...with all the bite and aftertaste to go along with it. You can't be Crown Royal. TR's all hype I say and good for them pulling it off...you only make a select amount..give it a good story..and run up the price.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
My mistake. Forgot everybody on CF is a greek god and dates a model. No apple cider for those guys! Lol.

It's not really that. If you are going to spend the money on a good bottle of whiskey, or any spirit for that matter, you are crazy to mix it with any thing. Granted, some scotches say their flavor is enhanced and drawn out better with a little water added, but if you are going to mix with anything that will empart it's own flavor, you are really wasting the money. There are plenty of decent bottles of whiskey at less than $20 that make great mixers. Jim Beam even sells a Rye whiskey that isn't too bad straight up, so I'd imagine it would mix really well.

In the end, it's your whiskey, you do what you want with it. I'm just trying to help you save a few bucks.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
The families that make the "real" have been doing so for a LONG time. I'm sure they know what they are doing. That kind of experience can't be recreated IMO.
There's something to be said about that. I'm glad at least one person/family decided to market it.

I was definitely surprised when I started drinking Templeton by how smooth it was. I won't lament not being able to get my hands on the home made stuff, I'll just focus on increasing my Scotch collection.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sounds a little too backwoods Appalachia for my liking.

Very very far from the moonshine that most people think of. Batches obviously will vary, but the bottle of the "real" stuff I have is very similar to the stuff on the shelves. Seems to have a little more kick to it though as in higher proof, than what you would get off the shelf.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Aaaaand HILLCYD the winner of this edition of the "templeton rye thread high horse" award. Quite impressive, took all the way until the 6th post and a solid 19 minutes to claim, which is actually quite a bit of time for the recent history of these threads. :)

And a solid 20mins before someone had to come in and talk about people and their "high horses".

Feel better?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I'm sorry I can't bite my lip any longer. Do people REALLY like the taste of this stuff? Because I'd bet serious money if you put a blind taste test of Templeton up against Crown that Crown would demolish Templeton. Basically TR tastes like a knock-off Jim Beam...with all the bite and aftertaste to go along with it. You can't be Crown Royal. TR's all hype I say and good for them pulling it off...you only make a select amount..give it a good story..and run up the price.

What you are describing is a preference not an indication of quality. I like rye whiskeys but I don't drink Templeton for certain reasons.

However, there's a difference between it and Crown. One is a rye whiskey and one isn't. The flavors will be consistent with the grain. Essentially, they are two different classes of whiskey and head-to-head comparisons would be pointless.

If you want to make a comparison in a taste test you would compare Rye whiskeys to one another.

EDIT: Crown is a good product. If I want a different taste I'll grab some rye (or something else). They're suppose to taste different. Not trying to say your preference is not valid. Different products.

Last edited:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
What you are describing is a preference not an indication of quality. I like rye whiskeys but I don't drink Templeton for certain reasons.

However, there's a difference between it and Crown. One is a rye whiskey and one isn't. The flavors will be consistent with the grain. Essentially, they are two different classes of whiskey and head-to-head comparisons would be pointless.

If you want to make a comparison in a taste test you would compare Rye whiskeys to one another.

THIS....

As far as Rye's go, TR is the best I have ever had and I have had a few.

As has been stated earlier...the "real" stuff has more of a kick, but is suprisingly smooth. Great stuff.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Very very far from the moonshine that most people think of. Batches obviously will vary, but the bottle of the "real" stuff I have is very similar to the stuff on the shelves. Seems to have a little more kick to it though as in higher proof, than what you would get off the shelf.
This doesn't surprise me. Like home brewed beer, the smallest differences can have an effect on the final product.