Tampa Out

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Look at Tennessee…. Iowa’s opponent in their bowl game…. they have a bunch of starters sitting out…. all their best players.

So that bowl game will be an absolute joke. Won’t mean anything whatsoever.
Unless Tennessee wins with back ups...we won't let them forget it! Lol

Reactions: khardbored

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Great for TJ and all others who do this - I support their decisions. Serious question though - how much NIL and scholarship money should they give back for not honoring their full commitment like the other 100 guys on the roster? Seems they want their cake and eat it too. Good luck TJ!
you mean the guy who turned down 4-5x as much money to go to better programs this offseason but decided to stay at a 4 win Iowa State because he loved the coaching staff and this university...I would say 0

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
well sure, hasn't that always been the case?
Yes but we were all bought into this bowl thing for decades until the last ten years with the playoff realizing the giant hoodwink that was going on. CW and Hassel talked about this on their recent Two Guys Named Chris pod.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Great for TJ and all others who do this - I support their decisions. Serious question though - how much NIL and scholarship money should they give back for not honoring their full commitment like the other 100 guys on the roster? Seems they want their cake and eat it too. Good luck TJ!
Unless their NIL deals and scholarships have language requiring it - $0.

The bowl falls between semesters. Fall semester is over and spring hasn't started yet. He was with the team (I'd assume) through the end of classes & finals, so that books have closed on that. I'd imagine he'd be off to prep for the combine rather than take spring classes.

As for NIL, I'll have to admit I don't really know how they're structured. It wouldn't shock me if the deals terminate when/if the player leaves the team, but also are structured with regular payments rather than a lump sum.

Cyghhh

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2022
Reactions: cyfan21

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
There is no way now to have these players stay for bowls. Make the bowls serve as playoff venues, 16 teams makes 15 bowls, and pay the ones who don't make them money for the other teams to have vacations.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
5 years ago I would have been upset. College football has been circling the drain for awhile now so this isn't a big deal.

It does make you wonder though where schools draw the line. Do we start "opting out" in mid November once your school is eliminated from the playoffs? And why should they still get the full scholarship benefits on top of the NIL money?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
What is it with terrible takes like these?

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
There is no way now to have these players stay for bowls. Make the bowls serve as playoff venues, 16 teams makes 15 bowls, and pay the ones who don't make them money for the other teams to have vacations.
My only concern with that is G5, ACC and B12 champ qualifiers would be three spots. They are going to working to pull PAC’s auto-bid. ESPN, FOX and the CFB illuminati will ensure that the other nine spots are from the new SEC and B10. It would suck for only one B12 team, maybe two, to be the only ones with post season play. CFP or bust is going to suck.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
It would bother me if he did play honestly, he did his job here.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Other than the championship level bowls they are just exhibition games for the benefit of school fans and TV advertisers.

It's not a coincidence that ESPN, in addition to broadcasting 39 of the 42 games, also owns/operates 16 of them.

And of those 16, only Las Vegas and Boise existed before 2002.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Look at Tennessee…. Iowa’s opponent in their bowl game…. they have a bunch of starters sitting out…. all their best players.

So that bowl game will be an absolute joke. Won’t mean anything whatsoever.
You mean Iowa might score a touchdown?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
The obvious ways to fix bowls being somewhat entertaining is cut the players some money for playing and somehow fix the transfer portal timeline.

Maybe it’ll be better next year with the playoff but the huge gap between ccg and the bowls makes the sport loses its luster imo. They go from being one of the main talking points to going dark outside of recruting and the portal which the casual fan doesn’t care about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron