T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Lazard is a solid WR3. He's a big body, is willing to do the dirty work, and isn't going to be an issue if he doesn't get the ball much. Nothing wrong with that. In hindsight he's definitely worth a mid to late round pick, which is where most fans thought he would go at the end of his career at ISU. ISU fans were dissapointed he didnt get drafted because he was a special player for us and we had gone a number of years without anyone drafted.

I would also argue that WR3 position has become more important even since he was drafted and he has the Protoss style and physical lift needed for it.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Chiefs would have likely taken him with the next pick, dang.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Difficult enough cheering for the 49ers. Steelers had OL needs taking an OT & C with 1st two picks, then have a shot for TJ in 4th round, which I would have never expected and they choose... a Guard.
Well, if you drop round-wise the hope is you go to a good team that you fit well in. Playing any defensive position for the Ravens meets that & then some. Go get it, TJ! Use that chip well (& I won't mind you doing so vs the Steelers)

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I think it’s pretty obvious that NFL teams think Iowa State’s defensive scheme either does a good job of masking the deficiencies of secondary players, or is just plain hard to transition out of when coming into the NFL.
You mean the strategy dozens of other teams in the past 3+ years incorporated into their defensive schemes due to ISU's defensive success?

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
You mean the strategy dozens of other teams in the past 3+ years incorporated into their defensive schemes due to ISU's defensive success?
Have players in those schemes been picked lower than projected? Do NFL teams use our scheme? It’s not wrong for that statement to question our scheme with reshared to how our players get drafted.

I tend to think others were just better. Heck, they picked a guy from Toledo much earlier than Tampa. No conspiracies, just GM’s thinking others were better. Now time to prove them wrong.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think it’s pretty obvious that NFL teams think Iowa State’s defensive scheme either does a good job of masking the deficiencies of secondary players, or is just plain hard to transition out of when coming into the NFL.
I think that many in the league view it as a gimmick defense. Or at most something you use only situationally. But as far as CBs, ISU doesn’t really emphasize speed. Corners don’t have to turn and cover as much because of all the safeties behind them. We seem to care more about short area quickness and tackling ability. Our CB film doesn’t really translate well to NFL schemes. So, it probably shouldn’t be a surprise that Tampa dropped just due to uncertainty.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Have players in those schemes been picked lower than projected? Do NFL teams use our scheme? It’s not wrong for that statement to question our scheme with reshared to how our players get drafted.

I tend to think others were just better. Heck, they picked a guy from Toledo much earlier than Tampa. No conspiracies, just GM’s thinking others were better. Now time to prove them wrong.
Players definitely get chosen based on playing for certain teams or conferences: GA, Bama, Michigan, Oregon, SEC

If you test off the charts (as Quinyon Mitchell did), then you'll be drafted during the first two days no matter the team. Don't think Campbell/the program has fully sealed the perception or reputation for all positions quite yet, so hope Tampa balls out & seals the deal for another position. RBs will get initial nod. QB probably as well, with Purdy's success. TE & OLD/DE - may be close depending on how Kolar & McDonald perform next couple seasons.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron