SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
#1 all white
#2 all grey
#3 all red

#4 - #12 who... meh

The mix and match grey was bad because the red and white tops didn't have any gray to coordinate them properly. We're just bad at this uniform game. But I give a solid B+ on the new white helmets, the new gray unis, and the red facemasks. Nice job, good effort.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I like the grey on grey, but not a fan of the grey mixed with another color.
Totally agree. And I'm surprised -- I generally don't like non-school-colors. I especially disliked the mixed with gray pants.. It seriously looked like they all wore their ugly-but-comfy dark gray sweatpants or warmups.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
call me whatever name, but I couldn't see the numbers well on the gray tops from my seats. I liked the OU and UNI uniforms, but the metallic ISTATE on the white was bad ass too.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I've realized that I really could care less about the uniforms because I can't really rank them. Don't really like the all grey.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I really liked that they added different colored facemasks to tie the combinations together. No idea why they haven't done that before now, as it seems like a fairly inexpensive thing. I have no problem trying any of the combinations for a game. Now order one new set of helmets and work on the decals (another inexpensive addition).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All gray View attachment 45435 would be our worst gray alternate look, IMO, but I'd be OK w/ it on occasion. Here's a few gray combos I like.
View attachment 45436 View attachment 45437 View attachment 45438 View attachment 45439 View attachment 45440 View attachment 45441 View attachment 45442 YMMV.

Does it matter than you can't see the red numbers on the grey uniforms? It does to me. The first time we wore them, the stadium announcer didn't seem to call very many of our players by name, presumably because he (or his spotter) couldn't see the numbers.

I'm not a big fan of the grey at all, but if they are going to use it, they need to solve the visibility of the numbers.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The results are in!

Thank you all for voting. We eventually had N = 254 responses.

I am going to do three things here now...

1. report the overall rankings and votes
2. post some analysis of the voting data trends
3. share the raw data, if anybody else wants to analyze it

Without further ado...

(I created the average scores by inverting the rankings, dividing by 12 then multiplying by 10, and then normalizing so the average score was a 5.)

#1: ISU @ Iowa, w.w.w, average score = 7.73 / 10

images

#2: SJSU @ ISU, c.gr.gr, average score = 6.00 / 10

615256662.jpg

#3: TTU @ ISU, w.c.w, average score = 5.77

images

#4: OU @ ISU, c.c.c., average score = 5.15

images

#5: ISU @ TCU, c.w.c, average score = 5.11

images

#6: ISU @ KU, c.w.w, average score = 4.80

15769429.jpg

#7: ISU @ OSU, w.w.gr, average score = 4.72

images

#8(t): UNI @ ISU, c.c.g, average score = 4.51

images

#8(t): ISU @ UT, c.w.g, average score = 4.51

images

#10: WVU @ ISU, c.c.g, average score = 4.47

images

#11: KSU @ ISU, c.gr.c, average score = 3.88

images

#12: Baylor @ ISU, c.c.gr, average score = 3.33

images

And here is a summary chart of the twelve combinations above that might be easier to read...

upload_2016-12-8_1-54-4.png

Seems you have some tiers here...

Tier S = Iowa
Tier A = San José State, Texas Tech
Tier B = Oklahoma, Texas Christian
Tier C = Kansas, Oklahoma State
Tier D = Northern Iowa, Texas, West Virginia
Tier F = Kansas State, Baylor

Home v. Away
1. Away = 5.37
2. Home = 4.73

Helmets
1. White = 6.07
2. Cardinal = 4.64

Jerseys
1. White = 5.37
2. Gray = 4.94
3. Cardinal = 4.65

Pants
1. White = 6.10
2. Cardinal = 4.71
3. Gray = 4.68
4. Gold = 4.49

Traditional v. New Age*
1. New Age = 5.23
2. Traditional = 4.68

*defining "traditional" as combinations worn during the Rhoads era, save for all-cardinal "ketchup bottles," given that mono-chromatic look is more modern (and ugly :p)

Some general, editorial observations about this project...

•man, you all *really* like that all-white "storm trooper" look from the Iowa game, despite the obvious debacle that was the actual football product on the field for ISU
•you all really like white elements, particularly, the pants, and seem not to like gold at all
•the c.w.c "classic" look from the Rhoads era, the uniform from the countless turnovers game with Nebraska, for instance, did not do nearly as well as I would have hoped
•the gray elements are very hit-or-miss... the "all-gray" look from the SJSU game came in #2, but most of the other ones with gray uniform parts was on the bottom-third of the voting
•seems you all enjoy it as its own thing, though not so much mixed with cardinal and gold
•I would still like to see cardinal/white/gray at some point, however
•sadly no gold jerseys this year, though I did actually like those with cardinal pants, and we all seem to review the basketball teams rather highly when they go gold
•the fan base seems rather down on traditional looks and combos
•seems the consensus here would be to use more white, give us a *few* traditional games per year, and, if you are going to use the gray, use it with white or its own self, not cardinal/gold

Finally, here is the raw data...

Feel free to ask questions and discuss. I join in, as usual.

Thanks for voting everybody!

Last edited:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
1 and 2 were my favorites as well.

All grey might have even bumped the white if we had a grey helmet.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The results are in!

Thank you all for voting. We eventually had N = 254 responses.

I am going to do three things here now...

1. report the overall rankings and votes
2. post some analysis of the voting data trends
3. share the raw data, if anybody else wants to analyze it

Without further ado...

(I created the average scores by inverting the rankings, dividing by 12 then multiplying by 10, and then normalizing so the average score was a 5.)

#1: ISU @ Iowa, w.w.w, average score = 7.73 / 10

images

#2: SJSU @ ISU, c.gr.gr, average score = 6.00 / 10

615256662.jpg

#3: TTU @ ISU, w.c.w, average score = 5.77

images

#4: OU @ ISU, c.c.c., average score = 5.15

images

#5: ISU @ TCU, c.w.c, average score = 5.11

images

#6: ISU @ KU, c.w.w, average score = 4.80

15769429.jpg

#7: ISU @ OSU, w.w.gr, average score = 4.72

images

#8(t): UNI @ ISU, c.c.g, average score = 4.51

images

#8(t): ISU @ UT, c.w.g, average score = 4.51

images

#10: WVU @ ISU, c.c.g, average score = 4.47

images

#11: KSU @ ISU, c.gr.c, average score = 3.88

images

#12: Baylor @ ISU, c.c.gr, average score = 3.33

images

And here is a summary chart of the twelve combinations above that might be easier to read...

View attachment 45497

Seems you have some tiers here...

Tier S = Iowa
Tier A = San José State, Texas Tech
Tier B = Oklahoma, Texas Christian
Tier C = Kansas, Oklahoma State
Tier D = Northern Iowa, Texas, West Virginia
Tier F = Kansas State, Baylor

Home v. Away
1. Away = 5.37
2. Home = 4.73

Helmets
1. White = 6.07
2. Cardinal = 4.64

Jerseys
1. White = 5.37
2. Gray = 4.94
3. Cardinal = 4.65

Pants
1. White = 6.10
2. Cardinal = 4.71
3. Gray = 4.68
4. Gold = 4.49

Traditional v. New Age*
1. New Age = 5.23
2. Traditional = 4.68

*defining "traditional" as combinations worn during the Rhoads era, save for all-cardinal "ketchup bottles," given that mono-chromatic look is more modern (and ugly :p)

Some general, editorial observations about this project...

•man, you all *really* like that all-white "storm trooper" look from the Iowa game, despite the obvious debacle that was the actual football product on the field for ISU
•you all really like white elements, particularly, the pants, and seem not to like gold at all
•the c.w.c "classic" look from the Rhoads era, the uniform from the countless turnovers game with Nebraska, for instance, did not do nearly as well as I would have hoped
•the gray elements are very hit-or-miss... the "all-gray" look from the SJSU game came in #2, but most of the other ones with gray uniform parts was on the bottom-third of the voting
•seems you all enjoy it as its own thing, though not so much mixed with cardinal and gold
•I would still like to see cardinal/white/gray at some point, however
•sadly no gold jerseys this year, though I did actually like those with cardinal pants, and we all seem to review the basketball teams rather highly when they go gold
•the fan base seems rather down on traditional looks and combos
•seems the consensus here would be to use more white, give us a *few* traditional games per year, and, if you are going to use the gray, use it with white or its own self, not cardinal/gold

Finally, here is the raw data...

Feel free to ask questions and discuss. I join in, as usual.

Thanks for voting everybody!

Really nice job on this survey, nicely illustrated. Great job! Good to get a pulse of what people think.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Still wish we could've seen white,gold,white.

The word on here was that was the combination for the Texas Tech game at one point. Something happened to change it to w.c.w, however, with Campbell.
I'll add this here, the w/y/w using this design. It would be nice to break this out next year, could be either Home or Away, but I'd love to see it at Home. Cy Uniforms 2017  s36a - w y w.jpg . Glad we went w/ the w/r/w though.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'll add this here, the w/y/w using this design. It would be nice to break this out next year, could be either Home or Away, but I'd love to see it at Home. View attachment 45544 . Glad we went w/ the w/r/w though.
I'm probably in the minority, but I really wish we could get a good gold uniform. Think about how many teams wear gold quite a bit: Minnesota, GT, NDSU? It could really set us a part in the Big12 and nation if we had good ones.

I'll be the first to admit that gold uniforms are so easy to mess up vs make look good. That's my big fear of them.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If anyone is watching the Army-Navy game, the gold on Navy's helmets should be the gold we use. The pants are a little bright, but that's a look we could do very well.

Help Support Us

Become a patron