Summer Thread: The decline of the sedan

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Born in 82, was able to drive right at 14 or 15, whatever age it was back then. I had a Grand Am, an Alero, and then a Sonata. Loved them all, especially on ice.

After that, went to 4 straight leases of the Highlander Premium and it was equally as fulfilling, just in different ways.

I love being up higher in an SUV and the Platinum always spoiled me with the best tech at the time (turning headlights, video based rear view mirror, HUD, A/C seats, etc). But they aren’t quite as “fun” or “smooth” feeling, that’s where sedans shine.

When I had my strokes and got my diagnosis last year, we knew my time driving was going to be short lived, or at least limited to the metro. We ended the lease on the Highlander early and got me a loaded Camry that will end up being my last vehicle, and will last as long as that time ends up being.

While I really miss my Highlanders, the sedan is much easier to get in and out of, the ride is so much more luxury feeling on the ****** metro roads, and the handling can be “fun” when you want it to be. But in context, I’ve had it for 9 months now and just finally got gas for the second time a couple weeks ago.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm and 2122

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Anyone else bummed that the auto industry is pivoting away from sedans in recent years?

I was reading today that Genesis is ending the G70 line. I've owned two of them, as daily drivers, and they're honestly my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It seems like every other day I'm reading about a different manufacturer cancelling a sedan line.

Dodge Charger
Chrysler 300
Kia Stinger
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima
Mercedes A class
And quite a few others.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. I'm in the minority. The masses prefer SUVs, crossovers and trucks, and the manufacturers have to produce for demand, but boy do I prefer the look and feel of a sedan. Toyota and Honda have the Camry and Accord, which seem to be doing okay. And the German brands don't seem to be ready to give up yet, but there's not a lot of variety out there in that space.

That Kia Stinger actually comes in a twin turbo in one option, so it is a poor man's sport sedan.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think the strangest things in 70s and 80s cars were the number of big ass cars that were coupes. Like just two gigantic, heavy ass doors and a pain in the ass to get into the back seat. My parents had some problem with sedans, so we had a big ass two door Buick.

My 1974 dodge Charger says "Hi" wish I would have had the money to keep it through the yrs and get it restored.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That Kia Stinger actually comes in a twin turbo in one option, so it is a poor man's sport sedan.
Yeah, the Stinger and the G70 share the same chassis, although I believe the Stinger is a bit longer and heavier. The G70 has a little more polish and higher end finishes on the interior. Both offer the 3.3 twin turbo, and can definitely move. The G70 is/was pretty directly trying to compete with the BMW 3 series, but doesn't quite have the same performance as the M3 Competition.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's funny how many people think they need 4 wheel or all wheel drive to deal with the snow in Iowa. I've had a front wheel drive mini van since 2019 and I can count on 1 hand the number of times where I didn't drive because I didn't think my van could handle it. I will probably go back to a sedan once the kids are out of the house. When you've got 4 kids a sedan doesn't work any more.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's funny how many people think they need 4 wheel or all wheel drive to deal with the snow in Iowa. I've had a front wheel drive mini van since 2019 and I can count on 1 hand the number of times where I didn't drive because I didn't think my van could handle it. I will probably go back to a sedan once the kids are out of the house. When you've got 4 kids a sedan doesn't work any more.

A mini-van??? 4 kids you need at least the full size suburban with the full tow package:rolleyes:
I'm amazed at how many people over vehicle their needs. To each their own.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

The "capability" of SUV's sells a lot of them, but most outside of the largest are just all wheel drive now which isn't functionally different from a sedan at all.

We just got my wife a new Accord. I have a 1/2 ton truck she can use the three or four days a year when it's called for with weather conditions. The rest of the time the sedan is the better vehicle, IMO. I was very shocked to find how limited we were for options when looking. Even Buick offers no cars any more. But you are still talking $5k and a significant fuel economy advantage over similarly sized SUV, so I can't believe there's so few people interested in them.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I agree with you on multiple fronts.

Front wheel drive is the key.

We have 4 kids (10 and under) and love the functionality of the Pacifica right now. In a few years we’ll be moving onto a full size suv.

Reactions: NWICY

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
You notice a clear lack of them around Iowa but I figured that was just a snowy state/rural state thing. I haven't owned a Sedan since our second kid was born, but I loved my old Ford Fusion and have though more than once about getting something similar to commute with.

That said, I'm currently driving a Ford Explorer on commutes and getting about the same gas mileage as I did with the Fusion.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
My Odyssey is a snow eating machine as long as I have good tires.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
My Odyssey is a snow eating machine as long as I have good tires.
One could say this about most vehicles. Tires makes a MUCH bigger difference than what they're on.

I had absolutely no issues driving my Civic in some of the nastiest weather Wisconsin could throw at me after switching to my winter tires for the season.

Not enough people understand how much it helps.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I feel like it was almost a rite of passage for Iowa teens in the 80s/90s to have either their parents' old Pontiac/Olds/Buick. And of course there would be an electrical issue like power locks or power windows (if you were lucky enough to have power) to go out on them.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Learned to drive in a 68 Chevrolet Bel Air station wagon. Now that was a car.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Was just new car shopping for the first time in a decade and was shocked at the lack of new sedans. And the ones that are out there seem to be just afterthoughts when it comes to design. The new Malibu looks so dated.

I'm shocked the Malibu is still a thing.

Moving from the coast to the Midwest I noticed a whole bunch of those (and Impala) vs California.
Our town seems to be nothing but Tesla Y and Ford Explorer.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm shocked the Malibu is still a thing.

Moving from the coast to the Midwest I noticed a whole bunch of those (and Impala) vs California.
Our town seems to be nothing but Tesla Y and Ford Explorer.
A lot of law enforcement in midwest used to have Impalas. Seems like they are even on the SUV trend with Explorers now.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
A mini-van??? 4 kids you need at least the full size suburban with the full tow package:rolleyes:
I'm amazed at how many people over vehicle their needs. To each their own.
Nah, 4 kids automatically bumps you up to the new super Hummer or $120K Jeep Grand Wagooner.

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan and NWICY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The "capability" of SUV's sells a lot of them, but most outside of the largest are just all wheel drive now which isn't functionally different from a sedan at all.

We just got my wife a new Accord. I have a 1/2 ton truck she can use the three or four days a year when it's called for with weather conditions. The rest of the time the sedan is the better vehicle, IMO. I was very shocked to find how limited we were for options when looking. Even Buick offers no cars any more. But you are still talking $5k and a significant fuel economy advantage over similarly sized SUV, so I can't believe there's so few people interested in them.

I put my new (to me) Explorer into a curb during our first snow.

They are just fancy station wagons. The capability in snow isn't remotely close to my old body-on-frame Pathfinder.

After writing a nice check to repair the Explorer I've learned a valuable lesson.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I feel worse about the manual transmission.
I'm probably a loner on this (not a huge car guy, other than I like nice ones with bells and whistles), but I have always figured why go manual when the vehicle can do it for you. Of course I've never had to learn to use a stick, and I understand some enjoy the "feel", connection to the vehicle, or nostalgia of it. But I'm surprised every time I see it on a vehicle from the past 40 years.