Stories from that dump of a stadium

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
Others have said this... and I'll take the flack.. I was born 3 months premature at UI childrens hospital IC. The wave is one of the best things they have done and is genuine. But for some reason I still have this feeling that Duke Slater, The Wave (to a lesser extent) and ANF just come off as virtue signaling. It's like they expect everyone to say "look at us we are special!"

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did not hear a lot of cheering when they introduced Fran and company with their B1G tourney championship rings. Anyone see JBo around?:)

Tailgated west of the Gerdin Athletic Learning center. Great group of hawk fans around us. We were close enough to walk to the BarStool show. That was hilarious!! Guy just railed on the hawks and how bad they were. Typical hawk fashion they started chucking crap at the people on stage. Even hit a gal with a can of beer!

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Did not hear a lot of cheering when they introduced Fran and company with their B1G tourney championship rings. Anyone see JBo around?:)

Tailgated west of the Gerdin Athletic Learning center. Great group of hawk fans around us. We were close enough to walk to the BarStool show. That was hilarious!! Guy just railed on the hawks and how bad they were. Typical hawk fashion they started chucking crap at the people on stage. Even hit a gal with a can of beer!
The gal is pregnant too. Classy bunch.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The wave is a great tradition, but they've milked it dry. I'm not sure it's entirely their fault as it's a marketing dream. So you get everyone trying to cash in. A lot of Iowa fans I know are sick of the overboard hype, but the typical casuals will buy Wave merchandise, pat themselves on the back, and never set foot in Iowa City per usual.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I saw like 5 ads for it but how the hell is BTN gonna milk an HOUR documentary on the First Wave?
Have to interview IC people and University people on how they came up that shaking your hand is waving. The different styles they have and such since Iowa invented waving.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Honestly, sat in section 127, row 76 and I really enjoyed it! I sat next to some great people and for the must part we were all laughing together at what a **** show the game was. When Petras was boo'ed in intros, my dad and I who were both in Cyclone gear, were pretty floored. I said something along the likes of 'That was harsh' and the guy behind me said 'So is our offense'.

I had a good experience, even after the game a few drunk students came up to us and said 'Good game, but still F State' but was still just friendly ribbing.

The crowd did get rowdy a few times, specifically at the refs. They were REALLY pissed they didn't review the diving catch out of bounds, they were pissed at thier fumble, bitched about the shove out of bounds, and then they all wanted offensive PI on X's TD.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Punting is winning!! Had to chuckle at all those shirts. Nice gimmick.

I guess the saying “Fight for Iowa” is legit. Did see one in the stands and a drunken 21 year old Hawk girl by the parking ramp wanted to start one with me. I laughed at her. Her friends were apologizing to me about her state of drunkenness.

Reactions: aauummm

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
I live in Iowa City and have for 23 years. My oldest son, now 28, grew up here before heading off to ISU and his post college life in Minneapolis. I taught him well - he is vehemently anti-Hawkeye! He tailgated and attended the game yesterday, and he reports this was the most civil CyHawk rivalry game he’s ever seen. No trouble, inside or out, and his tickets were in a Hawk section! He said Hawk fans bitched about the officiating non-stop, but were otherwise very friendly. For what it’s worth…
Same experience. That was my 8th (maybe?) isu game In Kinnick and by far the most civil I can ever recall. Walked down melrose to get to the donor lots where we tailgated, I don’t even recall a “go hawks” being yelled out. Lots of Iowa state fans present. Really
Nothing negative to report at all.