Steele Jantz.....

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Will he be our starting QB next year with a new QB Coach and OC?? Will he at least get a shot at the job in the off-season?? I am not a Steele or Jared or whoever fanatic....I just want the best guy at the position.

If you look back on the stats, Steele and Jared were pretty similar (Jared had better running stats and Steele had better passing stats). Turnovers were about the same (Steele was injured after the UConn game and that did have some effect on INTs and Fumbles)

Steele Link: Steele Jantz Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Iowa State Cyclones - ESPN

Jared Link: Jared Barnett Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Iowa State Cyclones - ESPN

I also know that Jared is going to be a Soph and Steele a Senior and maybe we should just look at the future but if Steele is the better guy, why not play him??

I just wanted to see what people thought when they were compared side by side stat wise.

Also, does Sam really have a good shot to be the guy next year?? I don't know much about him.

Go State!!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My guess is that if Steele out plays JB during the spring and summer he'll start.

If JB out plays Steele, he'll start.

I don't think this staff grandfathers guys in, or plays favorites. They made this clear when they made the mid-season change, and all the rumors this summer that suggested that JB would likely finish ahead of Tiller on the UNI depth chart. The best man will win, and he'll continue to play until he graduates or is not the best man.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
1192b01.gif

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
My guess is that if Steele out plays JB during the spring and summer he'll start.

If JB out plays Steele, he'll start.

I don't think this staff grandfathers guys in, or plays favorites. They made this clear when they made the mid-season change, and all the rumors this summer that suggested that JB would likely finish ahead of Tiller on the UNI depth chart. The best man will win, and he'll continue to play until he graduates or is not the best man.

THIS....

Competition is good for all involved. That said, I think JB will win it.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Didn't we just have this discussion?

Yeah....its been discussed a bunch on here. I just wanted to compare stats because I know some ppl on here think Jared was WAY better than Steele was when he started the last 5 games and honestly thats not the case.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is Sam suppose to be good? Does he have a shot? I know Herman loved him, but he is gone now....

Richardson certainly has a shot, but it's pretty premature to say it's a 3 man race. Especially when both Barnett and Jantz have looked good at different points, and lead us to some gritty wins.

Next year will be the first time in awhile where we have 2 competent, experienced guys returning. This is a really good problem to have.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If I were the coaches, I would look to see if Steele is willing to switch to safety. He seems to have the speed and agility and we could use another body back there. From all accounts, Barnett should be able to handle the position. We need to get the best players on the field.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Yeah....its been discussed a bunch on here. I just wanted to compare stats because I know some ppl on here think Jared was WAY better than Steele was when he started the last 5 games and honestly thats not the case.

the only stat that matters is W/L...........Barnett beat two top 25 teams and in his two losses (against top 10 teams on the road), ISU was driving to win/tie and competitve thru 3 quarters.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
If I were the coaches, I would look to see if Steele is willing to switch to safety. He seems to have the speed and agility and we could use another body back there. From all accounts, Barnett should be able to handle the position. We need to get the best players on the field.
Coaching staff would not be dumb enough to even consider this.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA

Steele should not be at safety.....when he played well at QB he looked GOOD. REAL GOOD. Whether he wins or loses the QB battle, he will help the team by staying at QB. Whoever wins the job could get hurt, and having someone as a backup that has played and won is better than having someone that hasen't come in.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I dont think there is any question that the "best man" starts next year. This staff doesnt seem to play favorites or conform to the popular fan opinion.

IMO it is Barnett's job to lose since he has taken over an won some games. If it is an open competition Steele has a shot, who knows the team really evolved after the first 4 games with JW taking over at RB and the young WR stepping.

Either way I feel good about the QB position and the depth. If Steele, JB or even one of the young guys starts that tells me that they beat out someone who can play and win in the B12 and against BCS OOC competition.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
the only stat that matters is W/L...........Barnett beat two top 25 teams and in his two losses (against top 10 teams on the road), ISU was driving to win/tie and competitve thru 3 quarters.

Defense wasn't as good in the first 6 games as it was in the last 6.....don't forget about that.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

Count me as surprised when I looked at your link how close the stats were. However, here's what I do know:

Steele engineered 3 dramatic comebacks against teams that, in retrospect, were not that good. He followed that with 3 games where we were completely manhandled by teams that were "pretty good".

The A&M game, Jared played most of it but only after Steele put us in a big hole. Wont' give that to either of them.

After Jared came in full time we were 3-2 against the teeth of the schedule including the biggest win in school history. We were never out of any of the games and 3 of them vs. Top 10 teams.

I'm not saying that's all on JB, but there was an undeniable uptick in the season when he came in. I'll have a hard time believing that this is not his team next year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Coaching staff would not be dumb enough to even consider this.

Ok, Paul.

Tell me why? 1) Jantz is not the starting QB right now; 2) It's very possible he won't be next year either; 3) He's a tremondous athlete; 4) a school like ISU doesn't have a ton of those guys laying around; 5) it's not like he'll forget how to play QB if we have to move him back there, Kerry Meier was a starting WR/back up QB for 3 years at KU.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Count me as surprised when I looked at your link how close the stats were. However, here's what I do know:

Steele engineered 3 dramatic comebacks against teams that, in retrospect, were not that good. He followed that with 3 games where we were completely manhandled by teams that were "pretty good".

The A&M game, Jared played most of it but only after Steele put us in a big hole. Wont' give that to either of them.

After Jared came in full time we were 3-2 against the teeth of the schedule including the biggest win in school history. We were never out of any of the games and 3 of them vs. Top 10 teams.

I'm not saying that's all on JB, but there was an undeniable uptick in the season when he came in. I'll have a hard time believing that this is not his team next year.

Whenever a backup comes in to replace a starter, especially at the QB position, there will always be a uptick in the team and a new energy. I believe that was the case with Jared.

There is no denying, however, that Jared did all of his work against the toughest part of the schedule with no playing experience before it. That is very impressive by itself.