Star Trek Universe Thread

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't mind prequels myself. I'm actually excited for this concept.

Its that its been almost all prequels for 20 years now in live action star trek. They refuse to strike into any new ground in the post-TNG era (other than the last couple seasons of discovery jumping *way* far ahead)

Enterprise- prequel.
Kelvinverse- prequel
Discovery- prequel
SNW- prequel
Picard- the closest thing we get to new ground, but most of it wasn't about a new ship and crew and was just an epilogue on the TNG era (as much as I enjoyed S3 and getting the old crew back together).

I want that Legacy series already. We're a couple decades overdue for the next Enterprise show.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Its that its been almost all prequels for 20 years now in live action star trek. They refuse to strike into any new ground in the post-TNG era (other than the last couple seasons of discovery jumping *way* far ahead)

Enterprise- prequel.
Kelvinverse- prequel
Discovery- prequel
SNW- prequel
Picard- the closest thing we get to new ground, but most of it wasn't about a new ship and crew and was just an epilogue on the TNG era (as much as I enjoyed S3 and getting the old crew back together).

I want that Legacy series already. We're a couple decades overdue for the next Enterprise show.

The new Star Trek Academy show will talke place after Discovery ends

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The new Star Trek Academy show will talke place after Discovery ends

Given the quality of Discovery the last couple seasons, it doesn't leave much hope. And I can't see it lasting long. If there's one thing no one's asking for its a Tilly-centered show.

I want a new show picking up where TNG left off. The future discovery era feels too disconnected. There's a reason they put TNG just a few decades past TOS and not several hundred years later.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Given the quality of Discovery the last couple seasons, it doesn't leave much hope. And I can't see it lasting long. If there's one thing no one's asking for its a Tilly-centered show.

I want a new show picking up where TNG left off. The future discovery era feels too disconnected. There's a reason they put TNG just a few decades past TOS and not several hundred years later.

I'm all caught up on seeing every episode of everything...with the exception of S2-5 of Discovery and the original animated series which I watched a little as a kid but will probably never rewatch.

I didn't even think Discovery S1 was that great so it's going to take a lot for me to try to "complete" it...maybe stream it in background while I do stuff. The "spore drive" really killed it for me while 100% of the hipsters I know in LA were simultaneously obsessed with shrooms, they even named it after the real guy (Stamets) who is leading the shrooms movement now, completely kills the futuristic sci-fi vibe for me to make it that current and local.

I think what you're saying about prequels is made even worse that Voyager had almost nothing to do with TNG. DS9 was a great simultaneous/sequel series without being derivative and it's probably why people like it more with each passing year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm all caught up on seeing every episode of everything...with the exception of S2-5 of Discovery and the original animated series which I watched a little as a kid but will probably never rewatch.

I didn't even think Discovery S1 was that great so it's going to take a lot for me to try to "complete" it...maybe stream it in background while I do stuff. The "spore drive" really killed it for me while 100% of the hipsters I know in LA were simultaneously obsessed with shrooms, they even named it after the real guy (Stamets) who is leading the shrooms movement now, completely kills the futuristic sci-fi vibe for me to make it that current and local.

I actually liked S1/2 of discovery, especially season 2 (and it leads in to SNW so its worth it just for that). Thought the jump to the future would have some promise but its really not done it for me and feels like a lot of missed opportunities.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I actually liked S1/2 of discovery, especially season 2 (and it leads in to SNW so its worth it just for that). Thought the jump to the future would have some promise but its really not done it for me and feels like a lot of missed opportunities.

I've been fine with it too until everything in the future. Haven't liked anything past that. It was at its best in S2.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

There were a handful of times in SNW where it made me want to see the Discovery introductions/connections people talked about on Reddit.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
In Hollywood they have a different language that they speak.
It's used by all the fools that went to school for just one week.

iykyk

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've been fine with it too until everything in the future. Haven't liked anything past that. It was at its best in S2.

Feel like they've leaned way too much into season long mysteries (the burn, the 10-C, and now this one, though at least this one has some interest picking up on an old TNG storyline) as well as spending way too much time with some of the relationships (Burnham\Book, Saru\T'Rina, Adira\Gray). I was thankful they seemed done with Book after last season, but unfortunately brought him back almost immediately in season 4.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Feel like they've leaned way too much into season long mysteries (the burn, the 10-C, and now this one, though at least this one has some interest picking up on an old TNG storyline) as well as spending way too much time with some of the relationships (Burnham\Book, Saru\T'Rina, Adira\Gray). I was thankful they seemed done with Book after last season, but unfortunately brought him back almost immediately in season 4.
I would agree with that. Feels like they couldn't come up with enough stand-alone story ideas, so thought they would take one idea, and "walking dead" it into a whole season, one drip at a time. And then throw in a bunch of "character development" filler on top. I think maybe they shot their budget on writing Season 1 and Yeoh and Isaacs payroll.

The whole "burn" thing was about the dumbest idea ever.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I would agree with that. Feels like they couldn't come up with enough stand-alone story ideas, so thought they would take one idea, and "walking dead" it into a whole season, one drip at a time. And then throw in a bunch of "character development" filler on top. I think maybe they shot their budget on writing Season 1 and Yeoh and Isaacs payroll.

The whole "burn" thing was about the dumbest idea ever.

Hated the "burn" thing

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
There were a handful of times in SNW where it made me want to see the Discovery introductions/connections people talked about on Reddit.
Season 2 of Discovery was awesome. Great Star Trek. I like Season 3 and 4 much more than some of the other posters here, but 2 was definitely its peak. It was great Trek.

ISU3PtLand

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, Iowa
Has anyone jumped into the latest season of Discovery yet? If so, just curious your thoughts.

I know I'm one of the small minority that really enjoys Discovery. I like the story telling and last season with the plot line of species 10-C was really good.

It may just be me, but I enjoy the more "cerebral" iterations of Trek, the episodes that REALLY make you think and look at an issue from multiple viewpoints. I think that Discovery does a really good job of that, but it comes at a cost to the other element of Trek that make it really enjoyable - the action. Of all the new Treks, I think that Strange New Worlds has balanced that the best.

With Lower Decks, I was crushed to see that Season 5 was going to be the last. This show was a gift to every Trek fan that loves everything about ST, but isn't afraid to poke fun at them. Lower Decks was a love letter to every Trek fan who knew their stuff, but could still lovingly nit pick. And it is just f*cking FUNNY!

Reactions: CloneIce

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
With Lower Decks, I was crushed to see that Season 5 was going to be the last. This show was a gift to every Trek fan that loves everything about ST, but isn't afraid to poke fun at them. Lower Decks was a love letter to every Trek fan who knew their stuff, but could still lovingly nit pick. And it is just f*cking FUNNY!
Love LD. Getting that tone right of making fun, being funny, yet still being Trek, and keeping the kind of positive optimistic 'Federation is great' feel to it... pure genius pulling that off.

Even more shocked the SNW crossover worked. That was a blast. So well done and fair to both shows.

Reactions: ISU3PtLand

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I know I'm one of the small minority that really enjoys Discovery. I like the story telling and last season with the plot line of species 10-C was really good.

It may just be me, but I enjoy the more "cerebral" iterations of Trek, the episodes that REALLY make you think and look at an issue from multiple viewpoints. I think that Discovery does a really good job of that, but it comes at a cost to the other element of Trek that make it really enjoyable - the action. Of all the new Treks, I think that Strange New Worlds has balanced that the best.

I am also a fan of Discovery and will be sad to see it end.

Reactions: ISU3PtLand