Softball Guy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is funny! Not a fan of Rome but he is dead on here!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMfqbR8Ujlk&NR=1]YouTube - Jim Rome on Softball Guy[/ame]

Any of you know one of these guys? I might qualify for "that guy" a little considering I do own 2 bats worth over $200 each but I'm not "angry young guy" by any means and I'm not really "that guy" either that tells someone to shutup after a bad game or has a ton of money wrapped up in softball gear. I have a $40 glove, $25 cleats, a cheap bat bag that I probably paid about $20 for and some cheap shorts and long socks (so I don't skin myself up sliding.) I'll admit I love to play (3 or 4 nights a week sometimes) but more in it for fun and entertainment not to live out a HS dream or something.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
These people are ALL over the place in Des Moines. Even at the Sands co-ed games.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I get a kick out of 'softball guy'. As someone who has played sports for my supper I just can't stress at all over 'recreational' softball. I also play quite a bit of 16 inch softball and that is a whole other monster when you talk about softball guy.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I like to mess with angry construction worker softball guy. Although it has led to altercations from time to time.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We play out in Clive, I've played in West Des Moines and Walker Johnson in Urbandale a few times too. Walker Johnson definitely has a lot of these guys playing there. We get them in Clive once in awhile too, they are the ones that wear the baseball pants and strut their stuff every time they hit a homer but throw a fit and cuss when they pop it up.

Funniest thing I had happen last year was first week of the season some trashy East side team we played a close game but wound up beating by about 5 I think actually called the league director to protest the game the next morning. This dirty looking guy hit a 3 run homer but the ump called him out because he stepped on home plate when he hit it which negated the 3 run homer and was the third out. On top of that they complained the whole game about stupid things. Funny thing was their team was like 4-10 to finish the season, after starting 6-2 we wound up finishing like 8-8 ourselves so that one game wasn't going to make a difference anyways. They were so mad they were demanding we play another inning because they also felt the ump ended the game before the time was out.

I've seen guys intentially not catch an infield fly because the ump failed to make the call and try for the double play, I've seen a guy plow over our female catcher once in a game they were down by about 10 in the last inning, I've seen a guy tag up at 3B and run home on a routine fly to 2B when they were already on their way to 15 run rule the team they were playing, I've seen guys getting into shouting matches with the umps and other players. Its all pretty funny because in the end you are just playing recreational softball and in the big picture no one is going to care if you won or lost or got hosed on a close play at the plate or whatever.

Last edited:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
my wife is "volleyball gal" ... she looks down her nose at those that play below the competitive divisions (which includes her husband) ... please don't tell her I wrote this.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I guess I could slightly fall in this category, but I go the other direction when it comes to spending money. I am the pitcher on our softball team and I just spent $60 on a Cleveland Indians, number 99, Vaughn jersey which I cut the sleeves off of immediately after purchasing. I am currently in the market for a pair of black horn rim glasses if anyone knows where I can score a pair.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is funny! Not a fan of Rome but he is dead on here!

YouTube - Jim Rome on Softball Guy

Any of you know one of these guys? I might qualify for "that guy" a little considering I do own 2 bats worth over $200 each but I'm not "angry young guy" by any means and I'm not really "that guy" either that tells someone to shutup after a bad game or has a ton of money wrapped up in softball gear. I have a $40 glove, $25 cleats, a cheap bat bag that I probably paid about $20 for and some cheap shorts and long socks (so I don't skin myself up sliding.) I'll admit I love to play (3 or 4 nights a week sometimes) but more in it for fun and entertainment not to live out a HS dream or something.

You are that guy!!! Anyone who worries about softball lineups as much as you do is "Softball Guy".

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I also play quite a bit of 16 inch softball and that is a whole other monster when you talk about softball guy.

What team do you play for? I'm afraid to say I was a "softball guy" back when I played 16 in. Been out of it a long time but I still have lots of friends playing and I watch some.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What team do you play for? I'm afraid to say I was a "softball guy" back when I played 16 in. Been out of it a long time but I still have lots of friends playing and I watch some.

I have been on the same team the last 4 years, played in Urbandale and Marshalltown, formerly Sandbar, then Shag, now disbanded.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess I just don't have a problem with the baseball pants, especially when you can get a pair of them for the same price as a pair of Nike basketball shorts (I'd wear them if they weren't to terribly uncomfortable for me to wear).

Not too overboard on the equipment myself, then again, my talent level doesn't justify it -
$150 dollar bat that I use if it's above 50 degrees, $60 bat if it's below
$65 Nike baseball glove (I just prefer the brand)
$30 cleats.
Nike batting gloves
Nike Pro undershirt (they DO make a huge difference)
I'm usually in team shirt, shorts or sweatpants, and soccer socks. Certainly don't look like most of the tools that play at the Dugout in Davenport...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
3 run homer but the ump called him out because he stepped on home plate when he hit it which negated the 3 run homer and was the third out.

I think the ump is going a little overboard. He is acting as though it matters a lot also. I don't play adult sports. I consentrate on my kid playing sports. Adult sports drive me nuts due to this kind of person who plays and takes it seriously.

The real people with a huge problem are the adult Baseball players. Those guys really beleive they got the shaft and could play in the big leagues had someone not been out to get them.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I think the ump is going a little overboard. He is acting as though it matters a lot also.

totally agree on that count ... who gives a hoot about stepping on the plate? its like the guy that trys to draw a charge during a pickup basketball game.

I play in some basketball leagues and used to play softball, but its only to try to fend off this spare tire for a few more years (months? its a losing battle)