So much for the triple option

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The last thing the bcs wanted was to see Boise and TCU knock off Iowa and GT, which I think would have likely happened. So instead of a highly anticipated match up of Boise vs Iowa and TCU vs GT or Florida, we get a couple of ho hum bcs match ups instead. Neither game was very well played, though the Fiesta Bowl was better with that great fake punt by Boise. Compare that with that pathetic fake field goal attempt by Iowa last night.

I think GT would actually match up better against a team like BSU or TCU. Those offenses are better than Iowa's but their defenses aren't quite as good, especially when talking about execution and playing fundamentally sound.

I still would have liked to see Iowa play BSU. It would have been a heck of a game.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
it was pathetic. I was surprised they didn't run the ball more than they did. "Run" as in "non-option". Correct me if Im wrong, but I think i saw three plays GT ran in the first half. 1 pass. Triple option Left/Right. HB toss. Why don't they run more traps/dives/counters/reverses/double handoffs ?

It was clear to me that if Iowa loaded the box, they were going to shut GT down. And they did. They had 32 yards in the first half!!

Late in the game, GT loaded the box on Iowa playing 9 guys up close. Iowa respnded by running a fourth string RB at them for a TD. Iowa didn't outnumber them on defense, Iowa has superior talent on both sides of the ball - they simply won all the match-ups. They are going to make a run at it next year. I would sure like to see the good guys whiz in their cheerios in Iowa City.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
The option works fine if you have the O line for it. GT's O line got dominated last night in the first half. I still think Nebraska should bring back the option. You'll never win a NC with it again, but they're not going to win one again anyways, at least they'll be harder to gameplan for with all the shotgun spreadmania ruling the Big 12.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I don't see why you can't win the national championship with it... I mean, the nebraska team with eric crouch went to the title game. So essentially (regardless of outcome) they got 2nd place in the nation (even though i think they finished 8th).

My point is, there can only be ONE national champion every year. Ohio State has been running the spread yet they haven't won the title. Does that mean it can't be won with the spread offense?!!

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I don't see why you can't win the national championship with it... I mean, the nebraska team with eric crouch went to the title game. So essentially (regardless of outcome) they got 2nd place in the nation (even though i think they finished 8th).

My point is, there can only be ONE national champion every year. Ohio State has been running the spread yet they haven't won the title. Does that mean it can't be won with the spread offense?!!

Whether it's the option or the spread, gimmicky offenses can work great unless you run into a matchup that doesn't favor you (Florida vs Alabama, GT vs Iowa)

That's the one benefit of the pro style offense. It's much harder to gameplan against and completely shut down.

Regardless of what type of offense, the players are the most important pieces. USC had a dominant pro-style offense with Leinart and Bush. Florida had a dominant spread attack with Tebow/Harvin. Nebraska with the option in the 80's-90's

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
So for all the people who are ripping on GT, it makes me wonder how it is that they are ranked #9, have 11 wins and have the 2nd best 3rd down conversion % in the nation.

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
it is a fallacy to say that you can't win with the wingbone or whatever it is they're running. Nobody could touch Nebraska in the mid-90s and they ran that offense.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
This thread is an epic fail!!

Before Paul Johnson and the triple option got to Georgia Tech they went something like 44-32 with Chan Gailey

Paul Johnson has them 20-6 in his two seasons and they won the ACC. All of this without a lot of guys that were recruited for that offense. Once he gets the necessary OL they will be winning the ACC quite frequently.

Great coach and system

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I still think that in this day and age you have to be able to throw and run the ball if you are going to be a legitimate national power. Georgia Tech may have been able to be one dimensional in a weak ACC, but got exposed big time last night. I really don't think they are even a top 20 team.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Georgia Tech stunk last night.

The triple option offense does not stink.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
The biggest reason, imo, that GTs option failed was their complete inability to throw the ball.

I think so, too. They were horrible when it was time to throw.

I still think that in this day and age you have to be able to throw and run the ball if you are going to be a legitimate national power. Georgia Tech may have been able to be one dimensional in a weak ACC, but got exposed big time last night. I really don't think they are even a top 20 team.

Georgia Tech can throw the ball. Before last night Nesbitt had a 156.8 passer efficiency. 29 of their 67 plays that went for 20+ yards (43%) were passes. 10 of those 29 were TD's, 5 of those 10 were 70+ yard plays.

Here's the problem last night. Georgia Tech's passing game is completely predicated on establishing the run. Once they got their opponents to cheat everyone into the box, they'd throw it deep, hence the numbers I just listed. At the time, they don't have the personnel to use the pass to open up the option run. Their three losses all came from teams that had time to prepare for them. Iowa did a great job of playing fundamental option defense - knowing your assignment(s) and punishing him on every play (didn't help that GT's fullback wouldn't sell out and throw a good block - half the time it looked like he just boobie-bumped Clayborn and then released him to get his tackle). Lot of credit to Iowa's run defense to prevent them from getting anything going.

Johnson's done a great job, GT's going to be good for the foreseeable future. 13 commitments coming in, all 3-star and above, 2 of which are O-linemen, 1 athlete, and the rest play defense (including 2 4-star DB's, a 4-star DT, and a 4-star DE), and only 4 seniors leaving the depth chart.

TheGovernator

Nov 5, 2008
The last thing the bcs wanted was to see Boise and TCU knock off Iowa and GT, which I think would have likely happened. So instead of a highly anticipated match up of Boise vs Iowa and TCU vs GT or Florida, we get a couple of ho hum bcs match ups instead. Neither game was very well played, though the Fiesta Bowl was better with that great fake punt by Boise. Compare that with that pathetic fake field goal attempt by Iowa last night.

Pathetic? It was a brilliant play call if you look past face value. Here were Kirk's options:

A) Kick the field goal, and risk having a big return or even them getting the ball back at the 35 or so with only a 6 point lead. or
B) Run the fake. If it works, great, you're up by ten. If it doesn't, fine, you still have them pinned back against their own goal line with 90 yards to get a TD. With the way Iowa's defense bullied the GT offense all over the field, he chose this option.

It's a numbers thing, and I believe he made the right call. Although, my belief is, that if you're going to go for it, line up the guys who are used to having the ball in their hands and go at it that way.

It's nice to see a few guys give credit to Iowa's defense. I was surprised they were as dominant as they were. I expected them to have a decent go at it, but nothing close to limiting GT to 32 offensive yards in the first half.

The rest of you are like Paul Johnson, minimizing Iowa's effort and placing the blame all on GT. While there may be some blame to spread around, there's no question that Iowa was on a mission.