Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I just seasoned my new Oklahoma Joe Highland charcoal grill with offset smoker this morning and made burgers for dinner. It's not the reverse flow version. I had a Char-Griller 5050 Duo for nearly 15 years but it finally bit the dust over the winter. The gas side rusted through a couple years ago, and the charcoal side was getting bad enough I didn't think it worth it to clean up for this spring.

Between the two, the Oklahoma Joe has much thicker metal all around and all the joints and doors seal much better. The OKJ does not have a height adjustable charcoal bed in the grill, but I did notice that things often got under it which contributed to the CG5050's demise.

I debated about gas, pellet or charcoal and just enjoy the charcoal too much. I totally get the appeal of "set it and forget it" with pellets/augers/digital controllers/wifi/apps, but I like the whole experience. View attachment 129063
Love it. I'm with you.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Oh, is that buckboard bacon? I've done that a few times and really like it. Here is how I did it

Boneless 14lbs Costco shoulder

Cut in half so it was 2" thick

7.06lbs
.353 ounces pink salt
9.5 tablespoons brown sugar
3.5 tablespoons kosher salt
Shot in a little maple syrup

2 2 gallon ziploc.
Rotate daily for 10 days

Day Before
Rinse and then pat dry
Put in fridge overnight with great so it gets air. Forms pellicle
Add Black Pepper

225 degrees
Put it on the jerky racks for airflow
Cook to 155 degrees IT max

After cooldown, wrap meat in plastic wrap and let sit in fridge overnight.
Stick in freezer for 1/2 hour before slicing View attachment 128881

Dang I'm going to have to try this.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve wanted to try this. Interested to hear how it turns out. I’ve done the meat church smoked cream cheese and was happy with it.

Update on the Farmers cheese. Two hours is probably too long but for some reason the smokey taste is super addictive. I’ll probably go for an hour and 15 on it next time. Still have to wait another 5 days on the mozz, Colby Jack, cheddar and pepper jack.

I think smoked cheese is one of my new favorite things. I’m going to try some string cheese next go round. Italia sells it and it’s really good.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Love it. I'm with you.

I think I’ve picked up in this thread that you’re a charcoal guy. Have you tried the long burn charcoal? I saw it for the first time and it kinda makes me want to clean up the Weber kettle and give it a go with some wood chunks/chips mixed in. The snake method with those coals make it seem pretty easy to control length/temp.

Reactions: Gonzo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I thought shoulder needed to be over 200 degrees ? I have rushed/undercooked shoulder in the past and it isnt good.
Big difference when you cure it vs just smoking it for pulled pork is how turning it into bacon is a way different process.

The curing process takes usually about a week or more depending on the thickness of the shoulder. Adding the pink salt (Prague powder) helps cure the meat so it can be eaten without having to take it to cook it at a high temp. Just two totally different prep and cook methods for buckboard bacon vs pulled pork.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Big difference when you cure it vs just smoking it for pulled pork is how turning it into bacon is a way different process.

The curing process takes usually about a week or more depending on the thickness of the shoulder. Adding the pink salt (Prague powder) helps cure the meat so it can be eaten without having to take it to cook it at a high temp. Just two totally different prep and cook methods for buckboard bacon vs pulled pork.
So you slice it thin like belly. Then it makes sense. I make cured bacon and cubed bellies without curing several times a year. All I saw was a chunk of meat in the picture. Thanks for helping me understand. Its still kinda early.

Reactions: cycloner29

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Anyone have any luck freezing pulled pork after smoking it? What's the trick? Mine loses all flavor after being in the freezer.
As stated on other posts, vac sealing is preferred. I typically freeze or prepare all meat a day or two in advance. the flavors are stronger after sitting for a day it's awesome.

Reactions: exCYtable

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I think I’ve picked up in this thread that you’re a charcoal guy. Have you tried the long burn charcoal? I saw it for the first time and it kinda makes me want to clean up the Weber kettle and give it a go with some wood chunks/chips mixed in. The snake method with those coals make it seem pretty easy to control length/temp.
I've only used 1 bag of the professional. I use a flametech smoke n sizzle on my kettle. Started with less than half of a chimney full of lit charcoals my first time using it and temps were way way higher than normal. I had to really choke it down to even get below 300 but I had no trouble going for 8 hours. I've never tried the snake method but I imagine the professional briquettes would work great.

Reactions: AgronAlum

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes

I'm drooling over this. I don't need it - I want it!! , I have the BGE, a weber gas and a Blackstone. There's something in the way she moves, like a great James Taylor song.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I haven't, good suggestion. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Masterbuilt Gravity Series, but I'm not 100% if you can use wood splits in the hopper of those for smoking.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I haven't, good suggestion. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Masterbuilt Gravity Series, but I'm not 100% if you can use wood splits in the hopper of those for smoking.
I had one for a few years. You can use small wood chunks in the hopper. I would sometimes just mix it with the charcoal, can't say I ever noticed a difference.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I had one for a few years. You can use small wood chunks in the hopper. I would sometimes just mix it with the charcoal, can't say I ever noticed a difference.
How'd it work for grilling? There's no heat source directly under the grates, correct? When I grill steaks, burgers, pork chops, chicken I grill it over the coals/direct heat for a bit to sear both sides and then move over to the other side of the grill and shut the hood to cook through w indirect heat. Is that doable with the Gravity Series set up?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I've found its not a big deal to add charcoal as needed. Once the vents are set so the temps are right, you can open the firebox and add charcoal/wood as needed. You get a little temp fluctuation as the new fuel lights, but it's only a few minutes and a few degrees in the cooking chamber. Over the course of 6+ hours it doesn't make a difference.

In my old smoker I'd use a chimney's-worth of charcoal to make a football shaped pile in the firebox. Then I'd light half a chimney and when ready put the coals on one end of my pile with wood across the top. It would burn across the pile over about 3 hours at 225-250°F. Halfway through a batch of ribs I'd open the firebox, move all the lit coals to one end, and set up another charcoal pile. That's about the time I'd be wrapping the ribs in foil anyway.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How'd it work for grilling? There's no heat source directly under the grates, correct? When I grill steaks, burgers, pork chops, chicken I grill it over the coals/direct heat for a bit to sear both sides and then move over to the other side of the grill and shut the hood to cook through w indirect heat. Is that doable with the Gravity Series set up?
There is no flame, so it's not the same. It works fine as a grill but I think most of the problems people have with it is using it as both a smoker and grill. If you use it as both, you need to line everything in aluminum foil, other wise you'll struggle with grease fires. I think running it to 700+ degrees is another reason.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Advice needed. My in-laws are looking at getting a Traeger pellet grill. They are considering the PRO-34 ($499) or the Pro-780 ($890).

Is the WIFI on the newer models worth the higher price?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Advice needed. My in-laws are looking at getting a Traeger pellet grill. They are considering the PRO-34 ($499) or the Pro-780 ($890).

Don't have a Traeger, but I do have a grill with WiFi and its nice but probably not $400 nice. I'm guessing the larger difference is that the more expensive one probably has a PID controller vs a non-PID in the cheaper one. If that is the case, I personally would say yes it's worth it. YMMV.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

No. And don't buy a Traeger.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There is no flame, so it's not the same. It works fine as a grill but I think most of the problems people have with it is using it as both a smoker and grill. If you use it as both, you need to line everything in aluminum foil, other wise you'll struggle with grease fires. I think running it to 700+ degrees is another reason.
That's been my struggle finding any kind of new, WiFi enabled charcoal/pellet rig. I love smoking ribs/shoulder/brisket/etc but I probably only do it maybe 2-3 times a month. I grill easily 3-4 times a week. Once my current charcoal grill dies (getting close) I think I may just end up getting a nice big Weber kettle for grilling and then a separate pellet smoker for smoking.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
That's been my struggle finding any kind of new, WiFi enabled charcoal/pellet rig. I love smoking ribs/shoulder/brisket/etc but I probably only do it maybe 2-3 times a month. I grill easily 3-4 times a week. Once my current charcoal grill dies (getting close) I think I may just end up getting a nice big Weber kettle for grilling and then a separate pellet smoker for smoking.

GMG Daniel Boone bought 10+ years ago. Works fantastic on everything. Grilling steaks and burgers at 385 degrees. Perfect. I have a little Weber Q LP for small cooks of just a couple hamburgers or a single steak. Pellet Grill is always covered when not in use.