SI has ISU "in the mix" for tourney

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Ignore my handle for a second...

I posted this because I thought it was interesting that despite the doom and gloom on this board, ISU is in the same position as many other Big 12 teams in making the tournament. That's not to say they WILL, but they haven't done anything to kill their chances at this point.

I think Pollard hired Hoiberg for the long term...it's at least a 5 year project to see if he can grow into the HC role. So any success ISU has right now in Year 2 is gravy. Fans aren't that patient, but realistically this is about where most expected them to be right now.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I have yet to see much in the way of on the court play, that would cause me to put the Clones into the tourney caliber category. They have some talented individuals, and I guess that is what a lot of people are basing their expectations on still, but so far through 13 games, they are a below average B12 team, IMO. The one saving grace is the B12 is pretty weak overall, so anything is possible outside of a top 3 conference finish I guess.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
I don't understand how Mizzou could be a bubble team. Well, if there were 75 undefeated teams. Otherwise, they're dancing. They're an outstanding team.

I don't understand how you call Mizzou a bubble team, and K-State a lock. K-State has some good wins, no doubt. But I think just about everyone feels Mizzou is better than K-State. We shall see, regardless.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Ignore my handle for a second...

I posted this because I thought it was interesting that despite the doom and gloom on this board, ISU is in the same position as many other Big 12 teams in making the tournament. That's not to say they WILL, but they haven't done anything to kill their chances at this point.

I think Pollard hired Hoiberg for the long term...it's at least a 5 year project to see if he can grow into the HC role. So any success ISU has right now in Year 2 is gravy. Fans aren't that patient, but realistically this is about where most expected them to be right now.

I think this is probably accurate. It's a hard pill to swallow though because of the perceived over-acheivement of last year's team. Maybe having Lutz around made that much of a difference. Maybe DG is STILL underrated as a player and his absence is being felt much more than we anticipated. Maybe, even though it's the best this staff could assemble under the circumstances, this just isn't a well constructed roster and the pieces don't totally fit. Whatever it is, this season has been disappointing this year even though the fans probably should have seen it coming and I'm guessing Pollard and Hoiberg knew that was likely.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Thanks for posting. Hopefully we can get out to a hot start in Big 12 despite the tough start. I think we are very capable of beating Texas. We need to beat Texas Tech twice. Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State atleast once, and pull off a couple upsets and the NCAA Tournament isn't out of reach. It will be very tough but there are a lot of beatable teams in the Big 12 this year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
With UT and OU. Not sure how he classifies Missouri as a "bubble team", though.

Big Ten, Big 12 could flex muscles come NCAA tourney bids - Andy Glockner - SI.com

Didn't anyone actually read what was written in the article?

"Don't freak out Missouri fans. I just wanted to use this week as a platform to elaborate on the surging Tigers."

He pretty much said that they appear to be a lock but he wanted to talk about them individually since there are questions about who they have played so far.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Didn't anyone actually read what was written in the article?

"Don't freak out Missouri fans. I just wanted to use this week as a platform to elaborate on the surging Tigers."

He pretty much said that they appear to be a lock but he wanted to talk about them individually since there are questions about who they have played so far.

It's his column...he can write about anything he wants. It just seems a silly reason to put an undefeated team on the bubble. How badly would Mizzou have to do in the conference season to end up on the bubble? 7-9? 6-10?

Wouldn't "locks" like KU, KSU, or Baylor ALSO be on the bubble with that record?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I'm surprised our SOS is where it's at right now. I thought it would have been somewhere in the 100s.

Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to comment on the article? :rolleyes:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's his column...he can write about anything he wants. It just seems a silly reason to put an undefeated team on the bubble. How badly would Mizzou have to do in the conference season to end up on the bubble? 7-9? 6-10?

Wouldn't "locks" like KU, KSU, or Baylor ALSO be on the bubble with that record?

Man you are dense.

EDIT: By the way, a 6-10 Big 12 team this year won't be on the bubble and won't get in. I don't care what they did in the non-con. It's doubtful that a 7-9 Big 12 team gets in.

Last edited:

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Man you are dense.

EDIT: By the way, a 6-10 Big 12 team this year won't be on the bubble and won't get in. I don't care what they did in the non-con. It's doubtful that a 7-9 Big 12 team gets in.

That's my point...if Missouri goes .500 in the conference they end up with something like a 22-9 record. They'd be in for sure. Anything less than that, and they're probably out (like you say).

I don't get how they could be "on the bubble." There not a conference W-L record that leaves them in limbo.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
That's my point...if Missouri goes .500 in the conference they end up with something like a 22-9 record. They'd be in for sure. Anything less than that, and they're probably out (like you say).

I don't get how they could be "on the bubble." There not a conference W-L record that leaves them in limbo.

I think he was making fun of you because you math doesn't add up. I believe everybody in the big12 is playing 18 conference games instead of the 16 you are applying.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
I think he was making fun of you because you math doesn't add up. I believe everybody in the big12 is playing 18 conference games instead of the 16 you are applying.

Ah, you're right. I am dense. I'm so used to having conference games add up to 16...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron